Raid 0+1 and AntiVirus.

dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
edited February 2006 in Hardware
As we are having some pretty serious issues with Sally's and my raided computers not having a bar of Norton System Works 2006, can anyone recommend a good replacement that will work hassle free with a raid array.

Sofar our research indicates it may only be caused by Norton GoBack, but we are not keen on having to keep sorting out this problem on a daily basis.

I have put this thread in here as it is very much applicable to a RAid setup.
If it should be in the software section, could one of you gents be so kind and move it to the appropriate part of the forum.

Thanks in advance

Jon

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Please enlighten me here. I don't understand what the problem is. The AV program is interfering with the RAID array, or vice versa?
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited February 2006
    Our research indicates Norton software such as GoBack, is not compatible with Raid Arrays. This may cover NAV, NSW, NIS, etc as well. Still looking into it.

Sally's and my main work computers both have Raid 0+1. Both had serious issues with Norton and appears to have disappeared once all of Norton's software was removed.

Found this on Symantec's site after a quick search.
    Symantec wrote:
    GoBack and RAID

Situation:

You want to know if GoBack is supported on a Hardware or Software RAID configuration.

Solution:
    GoBack is not supported on a Hardware or Software RAID configuration. Even though GoBack may work on some RAID configurations, Symantec does not provide any technical support.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    GoBack is a "snapshot" technology. It's used to make copies of data in the event of a system failure, you can run recovery.

It's a very disk orientated software and like older versions of Ghost (by Symantec), it didn't work/support RAID arrays.

The antivirus part of Norton will work fine with a RAID array. I used to use it myself and never had an issue apart from it being a bit bloated.

Give Kapersky a go with their free 30 day trial...

I use it and Im very happy with it :)
    edited February 2006
    Thanks Dan. Having a look to see what will work with Sally's incredimail, GMail & Hotmail, etc.:thumbsup:
    edited February 2006
    Shorty, the raid array you used NAV with, is/was that hardware or software raid??

Norton states it can be used with raid as long as it's hardware raid.
    We are using NVidia onboard, software raid.

If we have a need to buy an adapter, any suggestions on what will be suitable and do we need to re-install?????

Running 4 x 200Gig SataII in raid 0+1.

TIA.

Jon
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    dragonV8 wrote:
    Shorty, the raid array you used NAV with, is/was that hardware or software raid??

Norton states it can be used with raid as long as it's hardware raid.
    We are using NVidia onboard, software raid.

If we have a need to buy an adapter, any suggestions on what will be suitable and do we need to re-install?????

Running 4 x 200Gig SataII in raid 0+1.

TIA.

Jon
    Hi Jon,

Setup 1: Hardware RAID-0 on a highpoint controller
    Setup 2: Hardware RAID-1 on a nVidia controller

Both work fine with JUST the anti-virus component. Im not sure if the suite of tools you have (systemworks?) will allow just the AV part. There should be nothing special you need to do. Norton AV will just see the array/drives as a file system (same as any other application/program will). The only real exception to the above rule is a cloning application like Ghost or True Image :)

You still having a problem..? :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    It's been over three years, but I used to do Ghost backups from RAID 0 to a single drive. It was hardware RAID on Abit AMD boards.
    edited February 2006
    Shorty wrote:
    Hi Jon,

You still having a problem..? :)

Initially no real drama's. Sally tried out AVG and had some hiccups adding more email accounts. She has quite a variety of them.

Decided to uninstall AVG and have a look at AVAST.

This came up from a uninstall of AVG......

"c:\windows\system32\config\system is either missing or corrupt". Tried a CHKDSK to no avail. Unable to progress with a XP Pro Repair as the screen asking for admin password, only came up once.

She did find this one though: " No entries in boot config".

Never a dull moment in our house.:rant:
  • edited February 2006
    I use Avast on all our home puters...best free AV out there IMO :thumbsup:

I've had no issues at all with Avast on my RAID 0 setup either...
    edited February 2006
    sdgcan wrote:
    I use Avast on all our home puters...best free AV out there IMO :thumbsup:

I've had no issues at all with Avast on my RAID 0 setup either...

As i type, Sally managed to fix her computer and has downloaded the Avast AV. Good to hear it works with a raid array. :thumbsup:

Jon