ATI Engineering Sample Card Giveaway!

SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
edited October 2003 in Science & Tech
ATI Engineering Sample Card Giveaway!

Dual DVI connectors? Previously unreleased silicon? Free? Sounds great!

Who wants another ATI T-Shirt, hat or coffee mug?

We didn't think so.

So, in our quest for some truly spectacular prizes to give away for a new Rage3D contest, we went to the place where all exciting and mysterious things are found, the ATI Hardware Engineering Lab.

For this contest, we'll be giving away 10 engineering samples of a desktop graphics card that ATI never released to the public - in fact, only 20 or so were ever made. Next time you're at a LAN party, you can genuinely claim to be playing on a desktop graphics platform that is truly unique, that is, unless any of the other 9 winners happen to show up.

The cards have two DVI connectors, including one on the horizontal top edge of the board, two on-board LEDs, and an R200-class ASIC. The rest is top-secret.

So, here's what you have to do:

Find, or for extra points, start-up the World's Coolest/Most Unusual Web Cam. But first the rules: it can't be obscene, and you can't violate any laws or harass people in the process. Post the link on Rage3D, and it must be active for at least the next 30 days. The top 10 winners will each get a card.

You have from Oct 1st until Oct 8th to enter in the contest

Enter Here: Rage3D.com

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    "Find, or for extra points, start-up the World's Coolest/Most Unusual Web Cam. But first the rules: it can't be obscene, and you can't violate any laws or harass people in the process. Post the link on Rage3D, and it must be active for at least the next 30 days. The top 10 winners will each get a card."

Screw it.

And who knows how old these things are.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2003
    They said they're R200 class cards... so R8500/9000/9100/9200
    edited October 2003
    OK not so bad.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Lol, R200s suck. They are like £30 cards.

Oh well.

NS
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2003
    NS, that depends on what you use them for. I've got an 8500 in my dually (actually right now it's in the nf-7 because I broke my 9700 Pro)... it's got a lapped 1u copper heatsink on it and overclocks from 275/275 to 325/294 (core/ram) inside a computer case... outside, with cold air blowing on it with a Vantec Tornado 120cfm fan, it'll do 330/305. At 330/305, combined with a 2.4GHz Athlon XP, it does ~13.5k in 3DMark 2001se, which is pretty good. It's fast enough to handle black & white @ 2048x1536 @ maximum detail and in 32-bit color... it's not as good as my 9700 (duh) but it's hardly a slow card...
    edited October 2003
    I have a R8500LE in my main rig. Nothing wrong with that.
  • edited October 2003
    webcam the crackheads and junkies of Baton Rouge. I'd need about 15 webcams for all the hotspots. Hey look that one is shooting up. And that one is being beaten up. And that one is throwing up. And that one is gettin the hook up. Oops officer with his hand in the cookie jar.

Now a webcam somewhere in New Orleans would be the real trip.