Daaaamm Computer Doesn't Work :( :( :(

2»

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2006
    try stripping the case back down, psu, board, etc. try to see if you can get it working on your desk before you try to put it back in your case. By doing this you should be able to troubleshoot easier, as we won't have to deal with the board shorting on the case.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited February 2006
    No your battery is probably not the cause of the problem.

1. Remove the motherboard from the case.
    2. Remove the power supply from the case.
    3. Remove the heatsink and remove the CPU, now re-insert the cpu into the socket carefully.
    4. Now carefully re-install the heatsink.
    5. With the mobo on a cardboard box, the one it came in, connect the psu to it, making sure you get the 24pin power connected and the 4pin located right behind the keyboard mouse connector.
    6. install your video card
    6A. make sure you have connected the power to it as well.
    7. plug in your power supply, make sure its set to 115 on the back (if its settable)
    8. if you psu has it, make sure the switch on the back is set to the - side.
    9. you can now either jumper the power on with a small screw driver by shorting the small posts or stretch the power lead from the case out to it and use the case power button.

note that your RAM should be installed as well. Does the machine now fire up? if so you either had a short or the cpu was not installed perfectly.

Ive seen this exact issue with machines and re-seating the cpu generally fixed the issue or the board was dead..

post back.
  • edited February 2006
    nothing :( ...

i reinstalled the cpu, took out the mobo and pluged in the vid card, ram, and psu connectors. I hooked up the monitor to the video card, but when i booted it up... i got no result. same thing, fans were spinning, light was on, but no reaction from the monitor :(

i guess i will exchange the motherboard...just hope they take it
  • edited March 2006
    Hi all,

ehm... i just got the new motherboard today after a looooong wait. so, i want to do it right this time!!! pleas tell me what i should do first...

should i leave the motherboard inside the cardboard box, and only install cpu, and hook up the power supply cabels and see if i hear a beep? this will make sure the cpu is not bad right? (i hope not!!)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I always put the mobo on the anti-static bag it comes in then place it on the box.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited March 2006
    I'd set the mobo in the case just for ground, Install the cpu and memory only, boot it up and see if the internal speaker works. And no, depeding on how many and how long the beeps are it could possibly mean something is wrong with your hardware!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    Go through the manual page-by-page and make sure you have all of the jumpers set correctly. Then install the CPU & Heat Sink, the RAM, and any add-on cards (Video, etc) which you have. If you have any questions about this please ask and be as specific as possible.

Post back here before proceeding any farther - let's take this one step at a time so everything goes right all the way through this time. :)

EDIT: I am the slowest typist in the world - two more posts will I was pecking this reply out. :mullet:
  • edited March 2006
    ok before i do anything i have a question about grounding. It says in the guide that:
    BEFORE YOU PROCEED

- Use a grounded wrist strap or touch a safely grounded object or to a metal object, such as the power supply case, before handling components to avoid damaging them due to static electricity

i dont have a wrist strap. So do i touch a metal object(with my finger right?) such as a power supply, or do i make the component touch the metal?

how serious is this grounding issue anyway?
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited March 2006
    when you work in the case, just make sure your touching skin to the metal as much as possible. i usually sit idian style and have the case in my lap touching my legs, and build from there. but thats just me.
  • edited March 2006
    oh ok, so we dont touch the component to a metal right?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Good question! Simple answer. No, you don't have to have a wrist band. It's simple: just touch the the internal metal case frame, before touching computer internals. Some people never do anything whatsoever concerning static and have no problems. My computers are in a carpeted office with a high static charge most of the time. I have destroyed components before by static shocks. No biggiy - touching the case rail/frame will discharge static electricity away from the components. Once you've touched the case frame, you don't have to keep holding it. Good rule of thumb is just to touch it every time you leave the computer and return to it.
  • edited March 2006
    alright! I got the cpu + heatsink, Ram, and Video card installed. (But not Hard drive) what is next?
    edited March 2006
    Hook up the power supply connections to the motherboard. Besides the big rectangular one there is also a smaller square one as well.

Make sure everything is settled firmly on your bench and attach the monitor cable, mouse and keyboard. Don't worry about the hard drive(s) or cdrom, etc, right now.

Then check the manual carefully to see which pins would normally have the power switch wires attached to them if you were building it inside the case. (See the attached picture.)

CAREFULLY short the two power switch pins together with a small screwdriver - don't accidentally bump any of the other pins! The computer should start up.

Let us know if that is indeed what happens. :)
  • edited March 2006
    sorry for the long wait, im about to do it now.

note: When i installed the video card, cpu&ram, the motherboard was on top of the thin black foam which came with the motherboard box, and i put the foam+mobo on top the cardboard box it came in. Can i fire it up like that also?
    (motherboard on top of foam and cardboard?) or should i fire it up only on top of the cardboard box, or i can use the bag also.

another question. Since i gotta be very careful with the screwdriver, can i stretch the power cable from the computer case and hook it up to the mobo instead?
    Hook up the power supply connections to the motherboard. Besides the big rectangular one there is also a smaller square one as well.

the square one isn't beside the big rectangular one. Do i hook up all the power supply connections? (there are 3 in total + 1 for vid card)

sorry for asking so many questions, but i dont want to screw up this time
    edited March 2006
    NewGuy wrote:
    sorry for the long wait, im about to do it now.

note: When i installed the video card, cpu&ram, the motherboard was on top of the thin black foam which came with the motherboard box, and i put the foam+mobo on top the cardboard box it came in. Can i fire it up like that also?
    (motherboard on top of foam and cardboard?) or should i fire it up only on top of the cardboard box, or i can use the bag also.
    I'd stick with just the box, unless you are absolutely certain that the other stuff is non-conductive.
    ...Since i gotta be very careful with the screwdriver, can i stretch the power cable from the computer case and hook it up to the mobo instead?
    Sure, just don't strain the wires and break them. GHoosdum made a suggestion in another thread to use a spare jumper to temporarily short the pins. Stick it on, then pull it off right away.

the square one isn't beside the big rectangular one. Do i hook up all the power supply connections? (there are 3 in total + 1 for vid card)...
    I meant that like "in addition to", not adjacent. Yes, by all means make sure all of those power connections are hooked up. :)
  • edited March 2006
    THANK YOU GOD!!!! :respect::respect::respect:

I have a story to tell!

first i hooked everything up and turned the power on. then... the fans started spinning slowly, after like 5 seconds they started spinning faster, weird. BUT guess what? Nothing showed up on the screeen!! I WAS LIKE SHIIIITT :banghead: :banghead: I noticed that the keyboard light was on so it couldn't be the same problem as before, then i checked the motherboard and noticed the video card wasn't in properly at one side!! A LITTLE HOPE! I pushed it in and tried again.... THEN THE ASUS SCREEN SHOWED UP ON THE MONITOR!!!!:celebrate :celebrate

yesss!!!!! i am soo happy

then i saw do u want to setup raid and press F4 or something, i just turned it off there.!!

wooooot!

so what is next? :D
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited March 2006
    Pics!

lol, do you want to setup a raid? if not just install winderz on your drive like normal
  • edited March 2006
    naaa...i only have 1 IDE hard drive
  • edited March 2006
    Should i go to the asus wesite and update the bios? Or should i just continue with the current one?
  • edited March 2006
    Here is the link to the bios upgrade site:http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A8N-SLI%20Deluxe

This is what it says on the asus site (it is not the newest version!):

Version: 1016 --- 2005/12/21 update

DOS

Description:
    A8N-SLI Deluxe Bios version 1016

Please do read the description before updating BIOS

To avoid crashing file system, please do update the chipset driver to below version prior to this Bios.

For WinXP 32bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.65 or later

For WinXP 64bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.65 or later

For Win2k/2003 32bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.66 or later

For Win2003 64bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.66 or later

1- Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
    2- Update awdflash.exe to v1.14
    3- Remove 2.88MB floppy item value

File Size 453.4 (KBytes

what does 32bit and 64bit system mean? Do you think i should upgrade to this bios?

The newest Bios upgrade is this:
    Beta Version: 1017.004 --- 2006/02/14 update

Description
    A8N-SLI Deluxe beta BIOS 1017.004
    Latest beta BIOS.

File Size
    454.5 (KBytes)

This is the newest version, and also note it is a beta version!
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    32 bit and 64bit is just how the os talks to the processor, if your operating system isnt 64 bit (it probably isnt) then dont worry about it.
    edited March 2006
    The next step I would recommend is to hook everything back up - inside the case this time. Be extremely careful where you place the motherboard standoffs. You want to be absolutely sure that every single one of them is located exactly under one of the openings on the MB. If you have any doubts at all, please stop and ask - I'm pretty sure that this is the point where things went bad for you before.

You're getting there - just be sure and pay attention to the little details. :thumbup
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    LITTLE HOPE! I pushed it in and tried again.... THEN THE ASUS SCREEN SHOWED UP ON THE MONITOR!!!!
    Ha ha - I know exactly how that feels.

That's good news.
  • edited March 2006
    hey guys

i have installed everything and i put the cover back on. I am about to test it right now!! i wont upgrade the bios. Wish me good luck! :cool2:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Good luck!
    edited March 2006
    csimon wrote:
    Good luck!
    Times Two! :D
  • edited March 2006
    Hello

i just installed windows xp pro. it works great!! thanks guys :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: i made 2 partitions: first 20gb for OS, and the second 170GB for everything else!

i only have 1 problem. When i start the computer, it takes forever to load. you know that black screen when windows loads (It says Microsoft Windoes Xp, and below it is the green loading bar).... that takes lik a minute to go away 4 some reason. But this is just a minor issue, everything else works!

Thanks alot for taking time to help!! May Waheguru (God) bless you!! :thumbsup:
    edited March 2006
    Sounds terrific! :D

I think the slowdown at boot is probably due to Windows not being able to identify all of the computers hardware correctly. Get the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard and see if that helps. :)