Crashes...

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited February 2006 in Hardware
This computer randomly crashes, I wanna run memtest but I don't have a cdrw or FDD is there another program or way I can run a memory test on it?

The problem is that it is completly random. In fact it seems to happen less when playing games and mostly happens when it just idles or when I am surfing the net, but nothing is running that is causing the issue it just LOCKS. Gotta hardboot to get it going. Itc an happen 5 seconds after loading windows or 5 hours.

Any ideas? I doubt its the memory per say, but I wouldn't say no either since it's two different brands. But being that I can OC the system pretty high with the problem not getting worse... and that the system is currently at default speeds, I doubt it's the memory is all.

BTW It's my old computer... an MSI FISR2 MB with an Athlon 64 3000+ 754 and x2 512MB sticks of memory(different brands one is kingston I dunno the other it's my cousins), an XFX 6800np. and a good PSU 480W forgot the brand but it's served me well in the past :P

Comments

• jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited February 2006
    There used to be an version of Memtest86 you could run off windows. I don't think it was ever very useful. My best advice is try to get PRIME95 installed on Windows and run a torture test on the RAM from there. If it fails then you know the problem lies in the ram.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    It could also be PSU-induced. Large fluctuations in currency could be too much for the board's capacitors to compensate for.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    It could also be PSU-induced. Large fluctuations in currency could be too much for the board's capacitors to compensate for.

Large fluctuations in currency? Someone's needs to pull out of the stock market if its affecting their tech lingo! :ninja:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    rather, 'electrical currency' :bigggrin: