quadro fx cards

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited February 2006 in Hardware
Hey I was bored today on newegg and I was browsing around. I came across the quadro fx cards and I was amazed. I know that the high models are expensive, but damn, $1310 for a videocard is insane.

I know theyre intended for 3d editing, digital media, and other crap like that, but what on earth makes them so expensive. Their clock/mem speeds arent even close to that of the 7800's. I'm guessing its kinda like how amd uses lower clocks, but quicker latency or something, but what exactly makes them so good for 3d rendering?

anyone here ever used a card like them, or one of hte firegl cards from ATI

heres the card i saw on newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814133103

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    It's not for rendering per say, and workstations are not game stations. So while a 7800 may be kick ass for games and even workstations a quadro card is still good with games but way better for workstations.

With these cards you can do more in realtime than a regular gamers card. You can handle a larger workload than normal. There are render cards out there that assist your CPU in actual RENDERING and all. But these are for working.

It's complicated, I never owned one myself as I don't feel the need all that much since a regular nvidia card is so good with what I would use them for anyways. But the differences are like night and day some would say. Wish I could say more, but I am not all that knowledgable myself. Just know it has something to do with the programs and being able to specialize it for what you do.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I'm using in a Quadro FX2000 in my system No. 1 (signature). They are not designed for 3D gaming, but for certified, professional 2D applications like CAD/CAM/CAE. At least in my case, the FX2000 connected via DVI to my flat panel (Xerox XG91D) produces stunning images. I'm not a gamer but do quite a bit of photo editing. Supposedly some of the higher-end Nvidia 3d cards can be converted to Quadro specification. I've never tried this. I don't know why the Quadro's are so expensive, at least at retail. (my is from eBay) It may be because they are officially certified by Nvidia for host of professional applications. They are also very ruggedly built. I also had a Quadro NVS 280 (64MB, PCIe). It was also superb.

If anyone wants to experiment with these Quadros, or just to have a spare video card in the parts box, they can be had for next to nothing if you make judicous bids on Ebay. I am awaiting two more NVS 280s from auction wins, one PCIe and the other VGA. One was won at $12.60 and the other at $19.50. On 2D, they will blow away a gaming card costing hundreds of dollars.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2006
    I forgot to add CAD in there, but yea thats the type of stuff i meant. I didnt know hte correct terms for that.

My x800xl is more than enough for me, I just didnt know much about hte quadro's. I just want to know how their architecture is so much different than that of gaming cards like hte x800's, 6800's, 7800's ect....
    edited February 2006
    I just want to know how their architecture is so much different than that of gaming cards like hte x800's, 6800's, 7800's ect....
    Can't help you on that! Sorry. All I can say as that on a quality digital monitor, the 2D difference is amazing.
    edited February 2006
    is it just alot sharper, clearer, or what?

is it like the difference from a normal tv to an hdtv?(not the resolution, but the actual difference you can tell. mainly jsut that its clearer and better colors)
    edited February 2006
    nvm, wow forums are acting strange.
    edited February 2006
    It's like the difference of peering outside through a window and opening the window and peering out directly. I don't think though, that it would make much difference on a CRT monitor or an LCD monitor with a VGA hookup.

Sharper - yes
    clearer - yes
    subtle colors and grayscale are also improved