SMx-Begging For A Socket 478 P4 CPU

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited March 2006 in Folding@Home
Last Summer our teammate MissileMan donated an absolutely gorgeous Abit IC7-MAX3 motherboard. Last week Leonardo donated a beautiful HS/F which would be absolutely perfect for it.
  • Supports Intel® Pentium® 4 Socket 478 processors (Prescott and Northwood) with 800/533/400MHz FSB
  • Supports Intel Hyper-Threading Technology
  • Intel 875P / ICH5 RAID
  • Support Intel CSA Gigabit LAN
  • Supports Dual Channel DDR 400 with ECC function
  • Supports Performance Acceleration Technology (PAT) function
  • Supports Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface (ACPI)
  • Four 184-pin DIMM sockets
  • Supports 4 DIMM Dual DDR 400 memory.(Max. 4GB)
  • Supports configurable ECC function
  • On board Intel CSA Gigabit LAN
  • 2 channel SATA 150MB/s data transfer rate with RAID function (0/1) via South Bridge
  • 4 channel SATA 150MB/s data transfer rate with RAID function (0/1/0+1) via Silicon Image PCI Chip
  • 6-Channel AC 97 CODEC on board

Now all we need is a P4 CPU to get this bad boy in line to be a future SMx computer. (HT capability would be preferable.)

If any kind soul has a spare processer they would consider donating please post here or send me a PM. I promise you that it will be put to work in the fight against Cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and all the other diseases Team 93 is battling through our FAH effort.

Oh, and some dual-channel RAM would be nice, too. :vimp:

Comments

• edited February 2006
    how much would the memory cost?
  • edited February 2006
    I have plans in the near future to try to get me a 3.0E Presshot to run in my IC7-G rig and I should have a processor to spare then, prof. Most probably it will be a 2.6/800 Northwood that's been running at 3100 MHz for the last 2 years. I can't say when this will be other than hopefully in the next few months. I'm looking to get an E0 stepping Pressie and doing some Presshott folding with it. ;)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2006
    bikerboy wrote:
    how much would the memory cost?
    A gigabyte kit (2 X 512MB) would run about $80 at Newegg; a 512MB kit (2 X 256MB) would be slightly over half of that. What would be nice would be if someone was upgrading their current RAM to something bigger/better and decided to throw their old stuff our way.

I kind of threw in the memory question as an afterthought. Dual-Channel is not absolutely necessary in a dedicated Folding rig. It might come in handy if we got a nice HT-capable CPU and the QMD WU's make a comeback. :)
    muddocktor wrote:
    I have plans in the near future to try to get me a 3.0E Presshot to run in my IC7-G rig and I should have a processor to spare then, prof...
    w00t! We actually have another P4 MB which is being RMA'd right now. If we get a CPU for this board before you do your upgrade we'll still have a spot for it down the road. :thumbsup:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    hey, i have a 256 mb high speed patriot stick. ddr 400. nice stick. if you want to use it, let me know.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I have a spare COMPUTER, a Gigabyte SINXP1394 MB, with a 2.4GHz P4 "B" and a decent HSF the Copper MCX4000 if I recall. I've tried giving it away and no one remembers to take it :P

I just don't wanna pay shipping as I am now broke! ;D
    edited February 2006
    hey, i have a 256 mb high speed patriot stick. ddr 400. nice stick. if you want to use it, let me know.
    We can always use RAM. :D
    RWB wrote:
    I have a spare COMPUTER, a Gigabyte SINXP1394 MB, with a 2.4GHz P4 "B" and a decent HSF the Copper MCX4000 if I recall. I've tried giving it away and no one remembers to take it :P

I just don't wanna pay shipping as I am now broke! ;D
    You have a PM. :cool:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    MissileMan donated an absolutely gorgeous Abit IC7-MAX3 motherboard
    That is a PERFECT match for a Socket 478 Northwood or Prescott. I'm running two IC7s. They are without doubt the best motherboards I've ever used, and that's comparing to AMD and Intel-format Asus, Abit, Iwill, ECS, Intel, and MSI boards I've used. It's an easy setup, superb overclocking BIOS, forgiving, resilient, and a stable overclocker. Also, the IC7 series, at least the IC7 and IC7-G are very DRAM friendly. By that I mean they perform very well with less than premium RAM. In my system 1 I'm running 4 X 512 MB sticks of PC3500 DDR, hyperthreading, FSB overclocked, and dual channel. As long as the specifications are pretty close, you could probably run two or four modules, just about any brand of DRAM in these boards. Both of my IC7 systems have run 2 X 512MB Gigaram PC3200 without hiccup - and those two modules were not a "matched pair" kit. Of course, you could run one or three modules as well, but that would render dual channel off. For running these boards for Folding at maximum production, you really need dual channel and HT running for two client operation.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited February 2006
    send it all to me and ill put P4 3.0 prescott in it.. and have it folding as an smx rig..
    edited February 2006
    address? who wants it.
  • edited February 2006
    airbornflght, go to this web page here and look around - http://www.short-media.com/folding.php?v=smx

You will see Steve's (prof's) address to send that stick of ram to.
    edited February 2006
    thanks. i may have a floppy & cdrom to send too. depends how much it'll cost to ship it and if i can find them. (im in such a generous mood tonight.)
    edited February 2006
    We have an opportunity to buy one of these at a very good price. I know that there aren't many people who would be willing to part with a nice CPU like this - how about we all chip in our nickels and dimes (and pounds and ounces :ukflag: ) and get one that way?

I'm in for $10. :ninja:
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    We have an opportunity to buy one of these at a very good price. I know that there aren't many people who would be willing to part with a nice CPU like this - how about we all chip in our nickels and dimes (and pounds and ounces :ukflag: ) and get one that way?

I'm in for $10. :ninja:

You've got $10 more for me. I think I'll go ahead and send it to SMx fund :thumbsup:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Prof IM me if intrested in a
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116178

If your intrested or can get something better im in for $20.00
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited February 2006
    I'll chip in $10!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Sledge - the CPU we're looking at for the SMx rig is a bit better than that, actually. A little bird whispered something to me that sounded like "Northwood with HT".

I'm in for ten bucks to get this puppy rolling.
    edited February 2006
    For you guys who want to donate, head over to the SMx Project page and look down the left-hand side. You'll see an address to mail contributions and an email addy to arrange for other methods of payment. Earmark it for the P4 Fund and will get this show on the road. :D:fold:

Many thanks to all! :woowoo:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    hey thats $60 bucks so far! to bad we dont have a A64 930 Mobo a nice X2 CPU could make a fine SMx folder :)
    edited February 2006
    Prof IM me if intrested in a
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116178

If your intrested or can get something better im in for $20.00

To get the bang for the buck for it to make sense for Folding, it really needs to be a hyperthreading-capable CPU. With two instances of Folding running, one for the physical CPU and one for the virtual CPU, the processor will produce up to 30% more than the same rated non-HT processor. $114 is too much for a non-HT CPU.
    edited March 2006
    Anybody else want to chip in? :)
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited March 2006
    Prof, YGPM
    edited March 2006
    Back at ya. :D
    edited March 2006
    Big News!!!

Our resident Deal Depot and Trading Post maven, Leonardo, has found us a great deal on a CPU. With his ample contribution and the $60 raised so far we have decided to go ahead and buy it. If need be, we can make up the difference from the SMx Fund.

This baby's going to happen!

If you'd like to soften the hit to the fund, or maybe help us put some nice RAM in this rig, please send me a PM and I'll tell you how to proceed.

The SMx Project is rolling! :D
    edited March 2006
    When QMD work units return, and if Stanford U. keeps rolling certain high-points Gromacs, the SMx computer built around our latest CPU acquisition and the Abit IC7 motherboard will be the SMx Project's top producer. :D
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    This is going to be a very nice rig!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    :celebrate