Zalman CNPS7000

CrunchieCrunchie Mandurah. Western Australia. Member
edited February 2006 in Hardware
Hi. Just bought and installed a Zalman HSF and I wanted to know if it is necessary to install the FAN MATE as well? The silent mode speed is ~1400 and the 'normal' mode speed is ~2400.
If I plug directly into the MB I am running @ ~2600 and faster as it gets hotter.
Is the 2400 setting on the FAN MATE to restrict the RPM, or am I ok allowing the system to control the speed?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited February 2006
    I tossed my fanmate so you should be fine.
  • edited February 2006
    Yep, my fanmate is sitting in a drawer too; don't need or use it on the Zalman on my desktop Dothan rig.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2006
    I just installed a 7000Alcu on my old barton rig, and I didn't use the fanmate. It's surprisingly quiet at full speed, and cools a lot better I hear.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I'm using a Zalman 7000 and two Zalman 7700s. I don't ever use the Fan Mate. The 7000s are quiet at full RPM. The 7700 is a little annoying (to my ears) at full RPM. In the system with the 7700 (No. 3 in signature) I us SpeedFan to limit the 7700's fan to 70%. There is no difference in that system in CPU cooling going from 70 to 100% fan rotation speed. I run the 7700 at 100% in my system No. 1. That case is better sound-insulated.
  • CrunchieCrunchie Mandurah. Western Australia. Member
    edited February 2006
    Thanks guys. Fanmate gone :).
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    I'm using a Zalman 7000 and two Zalman 7700s. I don't ever use the Fan Mate. The 7000s are quiet at full RPM. The 7700 is a little annoying (to my ears) at full RPM. In the system with the 7700 (No. 3 in signature) I us SpeedFan to limit the 7700's fan to 70%. There is no difference in that system in CPU cooling going from 70 to 100% fan rotation speed. I run the 7700 at 100% in my system No. 1. That case is better sound-insulated.

Nice to see about the 7700, I'm picking up one tonight on my way home for my franken-rig.
    edited February 2006
    At 100% RPM, that fan may not bother you at all. It's not a loud fan at all. The reason I set mine at 70% RPM in System 3 is because of the case configuration. The case is an Antec Superlanboy mini tower. The 7700 is literally right next to the case's exhaust fan. In fact, I had to bevel the fan's casing to allow room for the 7700. The sound of the 7700's fan, what little there is, shoots straight out the back of the computer. Set at 70% though, it's just a low-pitched hum. I can't hear the 7700 in System 1. It's a larger, roomier case.
    edited February 2006
    It's going into a sonata II.
  • edited February 2006
    I just got the 7700 last week, but haven't had time to put it in yet. It's been a long time coming, my case roars.
    edited February 2006
    DOH!!
    I measured tonight when I was about to buy, and the 7700 will not fit in the Sontata II. I had to settle for the 7000.
    edited February 2006
    Brought my temps at idle down from ~44 Celsius to 36 Celcius :).
    I used the Zalman thermal grease too. How does that compare to others?
  • edited February 2006
    Crunchie wrote:
    Brought my temps at idle down from ~44 Celsius to 36 Celcius :).

Well, I just put mine in last night, but used Arctic Silver. My idle(22C) didn't change, but it's cooler under load(38C->32C).
    edited February 2006
    If you are satisfied with your CPU temperatures, then I would say the Zalman thermal paste is just fine. It is not premium quality. That would be siver-based paste like Arctic Silver. Zalman's is silicone based. But it it works for you, then it works.
    edited February 2006
    Well, I just put mine in last night, but used Arctic Silver. My idle(22C) didn't change, but it's cooler under load(38C->32C).
    Mine is hotter than 22C straight after boot-up. You got it running in snow? :D
    edited February 2006
    My idle(22C) didn't change, but it's cooler under load(38C->32C).
    Either your room temperature is below freezing or your temperature monitoring is WAY off.
  • edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Either your room temperature is below freezing or your temperature monitoring is WAY off.

That's entirely possible, I'm just going off of the ASUS Probe readings. What would you suggest instead?
    edited February 2006
    I just performed a mini-comparison of the Thermaltake Big Typhoon, Scythe Ninja, and the Zalman CNPS 9500. The write-up is over here. I used the Zalman CNPS 7700CU as a baseline of performance.