I killed the preachers wifes computer

edited February 2006 in Hardware
God help me. I am the network admin for a friend of a friend, she is elderly and knows nothing about computers. She just wanted me to "clean it up" for her and fix her printer.

The computer is a Gateway 500SE, 6/6/2002, I can give you the serial number if you need to look up its specs online, its all there. MB is Intel Nimitz P4 2GHz.

Here is the history as I've been able to unravel it. Apparently 2 years ago a local computer repair shop which is no longer in business "worked on it" and her USB printer never worked since then. I found out when I tried to do her Windows Updates, that they upgraded her from OEM XP Home to a Volume Licensed version of XP Pro (which fails GWV.) And since 1/27/2006 the computer has been randomly bluescreening with a BAD_POOL_CALLER stop error 0xC2. It did that with me several times, that's when I looked in the event logs and found that was not a new problem. When I asked the owner about that she said "well sometimes it won't cut off, I have to hold down the button". =:-O

First thing I did was check for viruses. I used McAfee's free online scanner, and then Panda's free online scanner, both said its clean. Then MS's Malicious Software removal tool to check for known rootkits. Clean.

Then I tried to fix the bluescreens by upgrading all the drivers and BIOS to the latest versions as GW recommends. (first I reseated everything, that did not help.) I double-checked to make sure the BIOS was correct for the computer, it is a RG84510A.x.x.Pxx. The original BIOS had never been upgraded, it was P03, new version was P19. Anyway, all the upgrades worked as expected, and I messed with the computer all day yesterday installing her free Comcast antivirus, checking the disks, running other tests, etc., rebooting several times using the new BIOS and the new drivers for video and network just fine. It seemed to be bluescreening more often, so I decided to stop for the day and try to find out more about what was done to it before I got it. I did a Shutdown computer, and switched off that channel of my KVM switch. I didn't watch it shutdown.

This morning it was still on ??, but was stuck on the pre-BIOS screen, the green/black Gateway press F2 for BIOS settings, etc. I could not reboot it, and I had to hold down the power button to get it to power down. Now it will not boot. No video, no beeps, no POST. I am in over my head now, I've never had one down that far.

Help!!

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    It's a hardware problem - either PSU, memory, motherboard or CPU.

My first inclination would be to try a different power supply.

Great thread title, by the way ;D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Agree... Great title and I'm betting the PSU is the problem. CPU hardly ever just die. Memory can but usually error out later in boot. Motherboard.... well, a power surge or overheating can kill that too.... Start with a PSU. :thumbsup:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    If it is inturn a virus that was not found, pull the HD and get her data off and do a fresh install! from the sounds of it she mighthave kept all her programs....

Elderly people seem to keep everything.. It is just getting them to remember where they put it is the task at hand!

but I would check components first as prime suggested!
  • edited February 2006
    Thanks guys! Unfortunately I don't have any spare parts for it. (where's the crying my eyeballs out icon?) None of my computers are the same vintage as this one, so I can't easily swap anything into it. Do you think its worth buying a power supply, or taking this one to a computer place to have it tested? Or should I just fess up, try to explain the situation to her (yikes), and suggest that she do an out-of-warranty repair with Gateway?
    edited February 2006
    Well.... looks like the PC was built in 2002. Any PSU within the last 5 years should work. Just try to see if the system will boot. If it doesn't, then we can try some other things...
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I'd be putting the blame on those "techs" who last worked on it and gave her an illegal copy of windows(from the sound of it). Tell her the truth, you could fix it, but it'll require getting a new part or two.
  • edited February 2006
    I have a PS from a 2001 Gateway that I can try (that's what most of our workstations are). The cases aren't the same, but hopefully the MB connectors will be the same. I will try it and let you know after lunch.
    Thanks again, I'm glad I found this forum! :-)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Never Lie unless it is avoiding you death :) I am always truthful to my clients 99% of the time they understand 100% Comps are tricky items and most people know this. Tell her about the windows issue, and go from there!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    That PSU should work just to see if the PSU is bad. If you power it up and get past the BIOS, then the PSU is probably bad and can be replaced very cheaply. If you still can't get past the BIOS, the motherboard may be dead, and you need to start talking her into a new computer, because it's almost always not worth it to upgrade or repair a system that old.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited February 2006
    any 20pin psu of 250w or greater will work. i had a similar era gateway that use to do the exact same thing untill i replaced the crappy gateway psu. it was still under warranty, but the gateway techs at those now non-existent gateway stores said it would be at least 2 weeks before they could even diagnose my pc. well i couldn't be without my pc for that long so i grabed my pc and went home to search for alternatives.

it was the reason that i found Short-Media----thank you gateway! i ended up getting an antec smart blue 350w that cured all of the gateway's problems. i stil have that psu today powering my test bench.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I KILLED THE PREACHER'S WIFE'S COMPUTER

Instant classic, I say! :hair::hair: :bigggrin: :bigggrin: :bigggrin:

You MUST stay here at Short-Media and become active. We want you here. Welcome.

You are getting very good advice above. It does sound like a PSU problem. Knowing the crap they put in Gateway's though, it could also be a motherboard problem. Prime was right about not upgrading (except for PSU). I don't know if that Gateway uses a proprietary motherboard or non-standard wonder from a major manufacturer, but it could be difficult to upgrade. If you do end up replacing the board, the easiest way would probably do an exact part number search on eBay. Gateway will clean out your wallet for the cheapo board if you order it from them.
  • edited February 2006
    OK, I have a question: the spare PSU I have is different, it has 3 motherboard connections: P1, P9, and the little 4-wire yellow/black P10. The one in the dead computer only has P1 and 4-wire yellow/black P10. Is it safe to hook this one up and leave the P9 unconnected?
    edited February 2006
    As long as the motherboard's power connector slots are connected with a matching connector from the PSU, it is good. Don't worry about the PSU's extra connectors. I've got PSUs that have several connectors that won't plug in to anything I'm using (SLI power plug, SATA drive connectors...). Just insure the male and female connectors are an exact fit.
  • edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    I KILLED THE PREACHER'S WIFE'S COMPUTER

Instant classic, I say! :hair::hair: :bigggrin: :bigggrin: :bigggrin:

You MUST stay here at Short-Media and become active. We want you here. Welcome.

LOL, thanks, I'm trying very hard to keep my sense of humor.
    :hiding:
    Maybe all this bad luck yesterday will bring me good luck tonight in the $369Million Lotto!! :celebrate
    (We're buying tix tonight for Saturday's record biggie!)
  • rykoryko new york
    edited February 2006
    don't worry about the numbers that gateway puts on the molex connectors of the psu. you don't have to match them up to make things work.

any of the short, flat 4pin connectors will power optical drives, harddrives, sometimes video cards (but not your era gateway) etc..

the square 4pin is a "p4" connector that connects directly to the motherboard-usually near the cpu socket.

and the long rectangular 20pin connects directly to the motherboard too--a standard atx psu power connector.

let me find some pics...
  • edited February 2006
    I put my helmet, goggles, and static strap on and tried it...

and it made no difference at all. :banghead:

Its doing exactly the same thing, green power light on the front comes on, I can feel air coming out the back, now that I have the cover off, there's one green LED on the motherboard that stays on unless its unplugged. But no POST, no video, no beeps, no disk activity, no nothing. Well, no _hard disk_ activity, the 2 CD drives each light up when I first power it up. I didn't notice if the floppy tried to access or not. Could it be booting up without video and me just not know it? It HAS to beep doesn't it?

BTW everything is on the motherboard except the modem. There is no way to reseat the graphics card. Crappy Gateway computers...

Is it worth prying the battery out while its unplugged to reset the CMOS? I reset it to factory defaults early yesterday when I flashed it.
    edited February 2006
    OK... Unplug all the CD-Roms, Hard drives, floppy drives... The PSU should be connected to the motherboard and any fans on the monther board.

Next, remove the little coin sized battery from the motherboard and unplug the PSU. Leave it for a few minutes....

Put the battery back in and plug the PSU back in and turn the system on.

Anything?
    edited February 2006
    Sure, try a CMOS/BIOS reset. Ensure there is no power to the motherboard when you remove the batter. There is a little jumper next to the battery resting on three pins, but only occupying two pins. Move the jumper up or down so that it occupies the other two pins. Leave the battery out for about ten minutes, reinsert, and return the jumper to its original position.
  • SmiGDigSmiGDig Albany, NY
    edited February 2006
    Continue with resetting the BIOS and the troubleshooting to see if the motherboard is ok, especially as you say it contains many onboard components. If it is infact deemed that the power supply is dead and is the problem, and that the one you are attempting to use is not gonna fix it, I'll be glad to donate an Enermax EG365P-VEFMA 350W for her.
  • edited February 2006
    Sorry I kind of left you in suspense there. Stupid meeting that was supposed to be cancelled got uncancelled... :confused: Anyhou, that didn't help. Exactly the same.

And after I put it all back together again, I tested the theory that it was secretly booting up without video, I put a floppy in the A: drive and still nothing. I think the motherboard or one of its vital built-in components is toast. I guess I'm giving up and telling her that it died. Anyone have any last minute brilliant life-saving ideas for me?
    edited February 2006
    Sometimes the Lord calls the best ones... It was her time. Time to UPGRADE!!!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2006
    You could probably replace that MB for a lot less than the ripoff computer shop charged her a few years ago. Hardware dies; it's not your fault.

Tell her she needs some new parts and go from there. :)
  • edited February 2006
    Yep, I agree with prof. By any chance, have you looked at the mobo and noticed if any of the big capacitors on the board are domed on top or leaking? There were still some motherboards being put out in the timeframe that the computer was built that had defective capacitors. And the problem spanned across many different motherboard manufacturers too.
    edited February 2006
    Just tell her the truth - the ordinary of troubleshooting and diagnostics did in the motherboard, which was already on it's way out.