Production Drop - Moving Some Systems to Another Team

DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
edited February 2006 in Folding@Home
I thought I should inform you all that I am moving some of my systems to fold for another team...

Before you start looking for a rope and a nice sized tree to hang me from...let me explain....

About a year ago I became an Admin at a forum centered around a youth group I am involved with. We had tried to get a folding team started there a couple of years ago but there was just not enough interest.

A few weeks ago I put some info and links to www.joinfolding.com into my signature there. A few people PMd me to say that they clicked my link, found it interesting, and joined folding for Team 93. Then someone asked "Why can't we do this here?" I told them that we could, but the last time we tried, there was not enough interest. However, it has been 2 years, so let's try again and see what happens.

The suggestion went out, and interest was mild. Then I had a great idea. It was kind of pointless for us to try to compete against other sites, since we have a small "regular" membership, a few hundred unique users per day on average. But, we have 3 distinct specializations within our youth groups, which already have a natural friendly rivalry. So I threw out the suggestion of making 3 teams along the natural dividing lines, and the idea caught on instantly, and a lot more members expressed an interest in getting involved. The idea of competing against the other specialties appeals to the natural friendly rivalries that are already there, so taking that approach really seems to have worked. So I set up the three teams and got everyone started off.

After 2 days, between the 3 teams, we have about 30 people folding! Those that had been crunching some WUs for Team 93 for a couple of weeks changed over to the team of their choice (but at least we got a few WUs out of them here. :) ) As members have started indicating their folding team affiliation in their sigs, and more chatter about it has appeared on the various sections of the forum, more people are expressing an interest in joining the cause, and competing against the other teams on our site. I expect to have about 40 to 50 people folding within a couple of weeks. :)

Of course, since I helped lead this new folding effort, I was obligated to move a few of my systems over to one of the new teams (the team for the specialization I am affiliated with.) One can't really be a leader of a site's folding efforts and not be folding for the site's team(s), right?

I have moved 2 of my systems over to the new team, and will probably move 2 or 3 more. Ideally I want to keep half my systems folding for 93, and half for my new team, but we'll see how it pans out. I will always keep at least a couple of systems folding for Team 93.

So, I will be taking a production decline here, but I will still be folding, and my efforts there will be bringing dozens of new people to the project, folding for the cause. Hopefully that greater good will stave you all off from lynching me here for defecting some of my boxes ;D

Fold on friends!

Dexter...

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2006
    Trust me, I won't be looking for any rope.
    I thought everybody knew that small diameter cable was better:vimp: (j.k)

I'm glad you were able to spark so much interest in the project.:thumbsup:
    :smokin:

I was wondering, were you the one who posted over at the folding forums about one of the new teams already having a head start? (just curious.)
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited February 2006
    Donut wrote:
    I was wondering, were you the one who posted over at the folding forums about one of the new teams already having a head start? (just curious.)

That was me. One of the 3 new teams I made had 3 users already in it, with 76000+ points accumulated, last WUs contributed in Sep 05. Obviously a foul -up, since the team was not created until Feb 06! They would not clear those names out of my teams :mean: so I had to make a new team for one of our groups (the one I am folding for.) We caught almost everyone in time, but did lose one small point WU to the old team number. :rolleyes:

It just annoys me now that my 3 teams are not sequentially numbered. :mad:

Dexter...
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2006
    All the WU's go toward the same end goal. I think your reasons for switching some rigs over is perfectly understandable.

w00t for 40 new FAH participants! :D
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Hey you got more people to fold
    So lead them and more will come
    I think that's the idea I mean I have told others
    and gave them the web site
    But like they say you can lead a horse to water
    they have to do the rest
    and you got them doing so keep it up
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    centered around a youth group
    That's all I needed to hear! Just out of curiosity, is this a church group, scout/camping club, or what? It just has the ring of good and sucess to it. Do tell, please.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I would have been a bit miffed it you just pulled anchor to run off but seeing the reason... I'd say AWESOME. The project is the important thing. Our team, while the most important thing for me right now, is secondary.

I wish you guys the best. :thumbsup:
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    That's all I needed to hear! Just out of curiosity, is this a church group, scout/camping club, or what? It just has the ring of good and sucess to it. Do tell, please.

YGPM :)

Dexter...