What about the 940??

Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
edited February 2006 in Hardware
So i think I maybe ready to get a new rig going, but not so sure what to get. Been reading up alot on the net, but really want you's guys input.

Either:
Opteron 280, 275, or 270 Italy 1GHz FSB Socket 940 Dual Core
or
Opteron 180, 175, or 170 Denmark 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core

Now, i've seen lots of you guys saying you really loved or liked the 170, but are the socket 940's any better?

I've kinda got a special situation, were a family member wants to get me a little something, and size wise.........it sure will be!!:thumbsup:

Might get two, they really owe me!!! But thats not for sure.:wow2:

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    The 2xx series is a waste of money unless you are building a server. Remember: 2x270s would be a QUAD processor computer..

My 170 feels REALLY fast so far. I'm just getting used to it, but it is a really nice piece of gear :rarr:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    The 2xx series is a waste of money unless you are building a server. Remember: 2x270s would be a QUAD processor computer..

My 170 feels REALLY fast so far. I'm just getting used to it, but it is a really nice piece of gear :rarr:
    And wait till the quad cores come out. Just imagine a server board with 4 quads. In folding terms it would be a "Farm in a Box"!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    2x270s would be a QUAD processor computer..
    Would WinXP see that as four CPUs?
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited February 2006
    yes, it would see the two dual cores as 4 processors.
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited February 2006
    Correct me if i'm wrong but with the 2xx series i would need ecc registered memory....right?

I do like the idea of a dual.......dual core rig. So that it would quench this big badass rig thirst that you sm guys have gotten in my head. Prime just reading your journal makes me want to build a monster of my own:rockon:. But i guess i'll just see.

So stick with 939. Think its worth getting a 180....or try for the 2x170s?:eek2:
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited February 2006
    Buddha16 wrote:
    So stick with 939. Think its worth getting a 180....or try for the 2x170s?:eek2:

in one board? You can't run 2 170's in one board, they're for single processor use only... you'd have to get 2*270's if you want to run dual processors.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited February 2006
    Buddha16 wrote:
    Correct me if i'm wrong but with the 2xx series i would need ecc registered memory....right?

I do like the idea of a dual.......dual core rig. So that it would quench this big badass rig thirst that you sm guys have gotten in my head. Prime just reading your journal makes me want to build a monster of my own:rockon:. But i guess i'll just see.

Yes - S940 CPUs/Mobos (of all types) Require Registered Memory