Memory Question...

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited February 2006 in Hardware
I don't wanna make a long story outta this, I tend to do that as I've retyped this 2 times already lol.

I am getting a new laptop in and when I do I will have a backup system then which means that I could get away with an upgrade. I know my signature says no upgrades, but the way I see it is that I could potentially upgrade without loosing any money, I think.

Currently I have 4 DIMM's of Kingston HyperX PC3200 C2 memory, being that I have 4 DIMM's full I can only run at 2T timings where as I would normally run 1T with 2 DIMM's. So I would like to get a 2GB kit of 2-1GB sticks of PC3200 memory, they cost less than $200 depending on what you get. As I don't run my memory more than 400MHz anyways, I don't need overclockers memory. Just stable memory ;)

I was curious about the performance gains with 1T timings versus 2T. I think my other timings are like 2-3-3-6 or something.

I'd also like to know if you think I could sell off these 512MB sticks I have for enough money to get approx. $200 back? I figure $50 each is nice, but I am not sure what this memory goes for. It's damned good memory, and they were sold as separate kits of x2 512MB sticks both Kingston KyperX PC3200 C2 memory.

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Just recalled having sisoft installed my memory shows up as 2.0-3-4-8-2CMD, getting 4632MBps while running a bunch of programs in the background :P
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2006
    My friend has 2 sticks of this and it is awsome.
    OCZ titanium 1 gig sticks 2-3-2-5. Good stuff, fast, reliable. Costs more than the stuff that you suggested, but you wont regret this stuff.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227054
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I'd also like to know if you think I could sell off these 512MB sticks I have for enough money to get approx. $200 back?"
    Are those two matched sets - 2 X (2X512MB) kits?

RWB, I think you could indeed get $200 for all four. You might have to sell as two sales units, 2 (2X512). I think most people who want to purchase 2GB total will be looking for 2 X 1GB; those wanting to upgrade from and existing 1GB will be looking for 2X512. That's what I did with my System 1. Thanks, Gnomewizzard. Wow, Gnome, maybe you should have waited a while to sell. Prices have gone UPPP since the last time I priced RAM.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    My friend has 2 sticks of this and it is awsome.
    OCZ titanium 1 gig sticks 2-3-2-5. Good stuff, fast, reliable. Costs more than the stuff that you suggested, but you wont regret this stuff.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227054

OK well that would be about $60+ over what I am willing to spend, but thanks anyways ;)
    Leonardo wrote:
    Are those two matched sets - 2 X (2X512MB) kits?

RWB, I think you could indeed get $200 for all four. You might have to sell as two sales units, 2 (2X512). I think most people who want to purchase 2GB total will be looking for 2 X 1GB; those wanting to upgrade from and existing 1GB will be looking for 2X512. That's what I did with my System 1. Thanks, Gnomewizzard. Wow, Gnome, maybe you should have waited a while to sell. Prices have gone UPPP since the last time I priced RAM.

Yup matched pairs.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited February 2006
    OO oO, i've been lookin for some new memory.