Time for a new PSU?

edited February 2006 in Hardware
So CompUSA has the Antec SmartPower 500W PSU on sale for $49 after $20 instant savings and a $30 MIR. Being as I would expect to pay nearly 3 times as much for this supply, I see that as a very good deal.

This leaves me to wonder if I should upgrade my current supply for my system (in sig). My motherboard doesn't have a use for a 24-pin power connector, and the voltages seem ok (they fluctuate a few hundredths of a volt but thats it) and I can't say I've had any stability issues that I could possibly pin on the power supply. In about 6 months I'll buy a new PCIe video card which will undoubtably need both more power and a dedicated PCIe power connector, but thats all 6 months or more from now.

Nevertheless, this is a really good deal IMO...

Is my PSU nearing it's limit? Should I buy the new supply now cause I know I'll need it in the future?

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited February 2006
    more power never hurts, i have a 535 in mine, and im adding 2 more hard drives. for a grand total of... lets see wheres calc.... 8 hard drives. i think you are pretty good with the PSU you have, but im the kinda guy "i cant pass up a good deal" which is why i have a couple hundred dvd-r, dvd+r's around here lol
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Even though your current PSU is 70W less I beleive it is still a superior PSU. I don't think the Smartpower line is a strong as the Truepower units. I would leave well enough alone. Then save your cash and splurge for a real top-nothch PSU later on when you need it.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I echo what MtGoat wrote. If your system does everything that you want it to, don't switch. Besides, PSU deals come and go all the time.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Look at it this way: You PLAN on upgrading your video card at some future point, which will require a newer PSU. The only thing this new PSU would get you is more wattage that you would only need if you were planning on adding a few new hard drives or something. I'm with mtgoat - no need.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2006
    maybe i should look into that, i have some money to spend on a new one. Mines starting to act up.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Maybe you should. A SmartPower at $50 really can't be beat, at least outside of Ebay.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Ok, I'm in a similar, but not exact situation.
    The PSU I have is a 530W FS, but it only has 18W on the single 12V rail. When OCed and under full CPU load, my 12V rail drops from 12.02 to about 11.8. The 3.3V and the 5V rails are rock solid. Rig specs in sig. I have had this PSU for two years now with no problems, am I crazy for worrying about the fluctuation?

BTW, I will most likely be adding 2 more SATA HHD for a raid array soon.