Sm18 major upgrade

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited March 2006 in Folding@Home
I've donated my old NF7-S v2 and mobile barton 2600+ to SM18. She's up and running and soon I'll begin overclocking :D

:woowoo:

Comments

• JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited February 2006
    I've donated my old NF7-S v2 and mobile barton 2600+ to SM18. She's up and running and soon I'll begin overclocking :D

:woowoo:

Very nice upgrade Brian I'm sure SM18 will appreciate it.

Now if can just find a cheap S939 chip SM/IC12 will get a very major upgrade also as her folding perfomance is frankly embarrasing.

:fold::fold: :smokin:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    SWEET... 2600+.... That should turn in some nice points!!!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I've got it running at a very conservative 144x16 right now. The PSU definitely needs to be upgraded, and it's running some kingston or corsair (I forget) value ram right now... The PSU is an old ATX 300 without a 4 pin connector and will definitely hold me back. If anyone has a better PSU to donate to the team, SM18 could surely use it!
    edited February 2006
    Scratch that - 144x16 results in a hard freeze after about 5 minutes. Need more power! I might need to run it stock at 133x16 until we get a good PSU :(
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    you know your stuff is old when....

The donated SM boxes are running better hardware than your personal machine!
  • edited February 2006
    i just built 2 2600+. they run really nice. havent done any overclocking and they are decent folders.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Blimey!.. Generous mate! :D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I have a generic 400W PSU with a P4 plug. Would that work? If so, let me know.
    edited February 2006
    Anything's better than what's in there now :D

YGPM, leo! :thumbups:
    edited February 2006
    YGPM, leo!
    No, I don't! :rant:

:smiles:
    edited February 2006
    On it's way to you, to be shipped Thursday is beautiful (well, er...) StarLogic (say again, please?) 500W (it says so on the label, really!) PSU. Supposedly (according the fraudulent label) the 12v line is 19 Amps.:wtf: Hey, I'm not making this up! It's pretty heavy, so maybe we are lucky and you are getting a decent PSU. (But then, if it's a good PSU, why was it collecting dust in my parts bin? :scratch: :shakehead ) I must have purchased this at CompUSA a few years back. I think the reason I quit using it was because of poor 12V performance under high overclocking. But then, it should outperform the 350W generic PSU you are using now. Also, SM18 with its Barton 2800+ shouldn't have a large power draw anyway.
    edited February 2006
    Nice! Thank you for the donation! SM18 needs more powah! :D
    edited February 2006
    The OLD SM18 has been shipped back to the parts manager for reassignment :D

That is:

Athlon 1700+ AGOIA
    ECS K7S5A with custom BIOS
    One heatsink/fan

:D
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    ...500W (it says so on the label, really!) PSU. Supposedly (according the fraudulent label) the 12v line is 19 Amps.:wtf: Hey, I'm not making this up! It's pretty heavy, so maybe we are lucky and you are getting a decent PSU. (But then, if it's a good PSU, why was it collecting dust in my parts bin? :scratch: :shakehead ) I must have purchased this at CompUSA a few years back. I think the reason I quit using it was because of poor 12V performance under high overclocking. But then, it should outperform the 350W generic PSU you are using now. Also, SM18 with its Barton 2800+ shouldn't have a large power draw anyway.

I have to laugh at some of these PSU specs.. I've seen 550W PSUs with 16A on the +12V rail. Believe it or not, I'm using an 300W enermax right now that has 22A on the +12V rail and powers my heavily overclocked DFI 754 system with ease :thumbup
    edited February 2006
    You do make a good point. A quality 350 is better than a cheap 500 on most days!
    edited February 2006
    Looks like the upgrade is starting to show fruit! Wait until I get that PSU and overclock the piss out of this thing :rarr:

sm18.png
  • edited February 2006
    hey prime let me know what you can get out of the 2600+. i might do a little overclocking on mine then.

bikerboy
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2006
    Hooray for prime and SM18! :D:fold:
    edited February 2006
    It's picking up the pace. This is stock. Can't wait till I can start O/Cing the thing :rarr:

sm18_2.png
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Yeah, yeah, yeah.... SM18.... yada, yada, yada... Overclocking.... Just means I have to work harder on my end to make SM19 better.... WILL THIS EVER END???

I hope not!!!! :D Way to go Prime!!!
    edited February 2006
    Well i got a nice heavy package from Alaska this morning. Thanks to Leonard for the nice donation of a StarLogic 500w PSU :D

I'll start off at a very conservative 145x16, just to get this thing warmed up. Follow this thread for progress reports :ninja:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Hooray for prime and SM18! :D:fold:
    Hooray for prime - and Leonardo - and SM18! :D:fold:
    edited February 2006
    Don't pile on the kudos for that PSU too quickly, gents. Let's see what the voltage rails under load are first, OK? :) There is a reason I quit using that unit, but I don't remember why. It could be it will handle an overclcocked Barton quite handily, but that it didn't perform so well with overclocked P4s, hyperthreaded at full load. But at a minimum, you've (the team) has the two Panaflo 80mm L1As that I had modified the PSU with. (I was too lazy to replace them before I shipped the PSU. :rolleyes: )
  • edited March 2006
    any update on what you overclocked it to prime?

bikerboy