opteron 144& asrock dual sata2

KometeKomete Member
edited March 2006 in Hardware
Hello everyone, well I got me a new system going. I was going to get a opteron 165 but I came across this opteron 144 for 160 from monarch and decided to give it a Try. So far I gotta say it's overclocked well considering I can't go past 1.45vcore. Right now I'm primeing at 2816 9X313. Kinda happy to see a 69 dollar board and a $160 chip doing well. I'm thinking I will still go dual core in a month or 2. Well back to tweaking I go.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    damn! That's a nice o/c! I am back down to 270x10 because my 170 doesn't prime past 271 right now :(
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2006
    Sweet OC Komete! can't complain for $160! :)
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2006
    damn! That's a nice o/c! I am back down to 270x10 because my 170 doesn't prime past 271 right now :(

I'll trade you :P Seriously though dual core @2.7 nice stuff. I've read a couple of posts were people could not get theirs past 2.4 or 2.5.

Thanks Lemonlime I gotta say I'm digging this hyperthreading stuff. You max out the cpu then click on something else ( real small delay) and it opens. Man I would hate it how my Barton would get bogged down. Makes me wish I would have gone A64 sooner. I know all that is old news to you guys but it's new to me :)

BTW I could never get my memory to go past ddr430 on my nfs7 2.0 but I've taken it all the way to 446 on this one @ 2336. Muskin pc3500 blk lvl. I've never read anywhere with people having any luck going past the default ratings with it.

Now I just need the 7900gt's to come out :rant:
  • edited February 2006
    For budget boards these sure overclock well don't they? :) Soon as my RAM returns from RMA I'll see how far I can really push my CPU.
  • edited February 2006
    Yeah, they work well for a cheapo board, that's for sure. There are several volts mods you can do too, for better overclocking.

Here's a page at the Overclockers.com forums that gives links to various volt mods for the Dual SATA2 board.

Also, this board does work with the OCZ DDR Booster just fine; I'm running one with some VX4000 in it with 3.4 volts vdimm with no problems. I'll probably be doing the OCWB vcore mod when I get back in this time so I can get a little more vcore for my X2 4400.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2006
    Yea I'm happy with it plus the upgrade to socket AM2 sounds nice. Guess we will have to see if it will be nice. Looks like I'm hitting a wall of around 2875. Funny thing is it'll boot up at that and prime at stock volts of 1.4. So many things to tweak and so far I havnt had much time to give it. Hopefully I'll get some solid tweaking this weekend.

Got a Q.. what should I set the Htt at 2x 4x etc? right now I have it on 2 but it'll boot with 4 but I heard going over 1000 can be bad as it burns out the memory controller or something.
    edited February 2006
    Komete wrote:
    Yea I'm happy with it plus the upgrade to socket AM2 sounds nice. Guess we will have to see if it will be nice. Looks like I'm hitting a wall of around 2875. Funny thing is it'll boot up at that and prime at stock volts of 1.4. So many things to tweak and so far I havnt had much time to give it. Hopefully I'll get some solid tweaking this weekend.

Got a Q.. what should I set the Htt at 2x 4x etc? right now I have it on 2 but it'll boot with 4 but I heard going over 1000 can be bad as it burns out the memory controller or something.

The idea is to keep the HTT as close to stock as possible. I recommend a range between 1700MHz and 2200MHz. Since you are at a reference clock of about 319MHz, you'll want to stick with the 3x LDT multiplier. That will give you just slightly below stock at about 1916MHz. 2x would be a little too low IMO and may cause instability. 4x is definitely too high at that clock speed. If it works, there is no real harm in using it, but you will not gain any performance benefit.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    The idea is to keep the HTT as close to stock as possible. I recommend a range between 1700MHz and 2200MHz. Since you are at a reference clock of about 319MHz, you'll want to stick with the 3x LDT multiplier. That will give you just slightly below stock at about 1916MHz. 2x would be a little too low IMO and may cause instability. 4x is definitely too high at that clock speed. If it works, there is no real harm in using it, but you will not gain any performance benefit.

ok I brought it down to 9x300 to keep it easier to figure all this out. Now I have these options 200 400 600 800 1000 (can't remeber for sure about the 800) Right now I have it set to 600 and in sandra it says that it's at 1800. So I'm thinking 6 must be 3x. BTW it gave a boost in performance moving up from the 200 and the system feels more fluid/stable.
    htt.JPG 96.6K
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2006
    Well it's not Prime stable but getting better. 2899, That vmod is calling my name and the opty is wispering 3ghz to me. Figured out my memory was holding me back and bumping up the htt to 3x has given me more stability.
    2899.JPG 200.6K
  • edited February 2006
    Komete, the OCWB vmod is really easy to do, from looking at the pictures of it. I plan to do that this time when I get in from the rig on my DS2 setup, since I'll be doing some hsf testing anyways. I got a BT waiting for me and I have an XP90C that should be coming in soon, so I plan to do a little experimenting.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    Komete, the OCWB vmod is really easy to do, from looking at the pictures of it. I plan to do that this time when I get in from the rig on my DS2 setup, since I'll be doing some hsf testing anyways. I got a BT waiting for me and I have an XP90C that should be coming in soon, so I plan to do a little experimenting.

Yeppers skipper I'm going to do it. I know the local radio shacks don't have any trace pens so I was going to use a defrogger kit. Now my hands are not the most stable will this stuff clean up with alcohaul?

Ya never know I may connect some points I didn't want to... eek
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Very nice!
    69 dollar board and a $160 chip doing well
    I'm doing something similar lately. Not showing yet in the signature, but refurb boards from Newegg and 'late-model', but not new processors from Ebay and trading forums. Cheap way to get high performance.

(hint, hint, shameless plug: be looking out on the DD&TP for 2GB HyperX 3500, 1GB Gigaram 3200, motherboards, processors, and Zalman heatsinks...)
  • edited February 2006
    Xylene or maybe acetone should clean the defogger kit stuff off if you mess up I think. Especially if you clean it up in the first few hours before the stuff really has had time to dry hard. Xylene is a type of paint thinner and you should be able to find it at Lowes or Home Depot. I have access to an industrial product than is a 50:50 mixture of xylene and isopropyl alcohol and I know it will take off trace pen paint, but you can't just run and find this stuff anywheres. I use it as part of testing oil based drilling fluids, so that's where I get it from (work).
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2006
    Well I'm about to run to my local auto shop to get a kit. Do I have to wait for it to dry before I turn on the mother board?
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2006
    Well I've done the vmod and can boot into windows at 3ghz but it crashes. Right now I'm at 2927 but it's not prime stable but I've played seom fear and ran some sandra bench marks.. Back to tweaking for Prime.
  • edited February 2006
    Defogger kit paint (the brownish red stuff) will clean off with rubbing alchohol. It took me a couple of tries to get it right too.

I used a toothpick to dab it on. You dab over the two points you want to connect, and then clean up the connection using the clean end of the toothpick by scraping off the surrounding areas.

The paint dries very fast- a lot like whiteout.

Make SURE you have the right mod for your CPU! You connect different contacts depending on weather or not your CPU uses 1.35V or 1.4V by default. Then be sure to set your BIOS accordingly.

L6711table4.gif
    edited February 2006
    Komete wrote:
    Well I've done the vmod and can boot into windows at 3ghz but it crashes. Right now I'm at 2927 but it's not prime stable but I've played seom fear and ran some sandra bench marks.. Back to tweaking for Prime.

Wow, so close to the mark! :) I think you just need a bit more vcore. If that CPU-Z screenie is accurate, 1.508V is pretty impressive for 2.9GHz. I'm guessing that 1.55 may be enough if you can squeeze it out of the board.

Have you tried a lower memory divider to ease the strain on the IMC?
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    Wow, so close to the mark! :) I think you just need a bit more vcore. If that CPU-Z screenie is accurate, 1.508V is pretty impressive for 2.9GHz. I'm guessing that 1.55 may be enough if you can squeeze it out of the board.

Have you tried a lower memory divider to ease the strain on the IMC?

Well I have to put the memory on 2|1 or 100 to get it to post at 3ghz but thats kinda robbing peter to pay paul. Mid 2.8 seems to be the sweet spot as far as getting the most performance. I don;t know what the deal is but at lower clock speeds I can run the memory a good bit higher.. Gotta just tweak I guess.

Man I'm so impressed with the temps on these cpu's. It warmed uptoday and my idle temp is only 31c.. I'll probably do some more tweaking later on this week and get some pic's just for bragging rights. :headbange
  • edited March 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    Defogger kit paint (the brownish red stuff) will clean off with rubbing alchohol. It took me a couple of tries to get it right too.

I used a toothpick to dab it on. You dab over the two points you want to connect, and then clean up the connection using the clean end of the toothpick by scraping off the surrounding areas.

The paint dries very fast- a lot like whiteout.

Make SURE you have the right mod for your CPU! You connect different contacts depending on weather or not your CPU uses 1.35V or 1.4V by default. Then be sure to set your BIOS accordingly.

L6711table4.gif

OK, you definitely know more about this than me. Which pins do I need to connect for my X2-4400? Is it vid4, vid 3, vid 2, or vid2/vid1 to signal ground? If you can't tell me, then some links would be nice.

EDIT: Never mind, I did the vid3 to signal ground mod and it worked fine. I'm showing 1.58v vcore with it set to 1.35v in bios. :thumbsup:
  • edited March 2006
    Nice! :)

For a cheapo board this thing sure can kick some butt.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2006
    I just wanted to give an update I'm now in the 3ghz club :Rocker:
    I can bench mark and play games but not prime stable. Moving from 1t to 2t made all the difference. I don't know what kind of performance hit I take from going from 1 to 2 but I havn't notice any.
  • edited March 2006
    I ran a few 3D Mark benches testing the effects of 1T vs. 2T. Needless to say the scores were only ONE point off (which for all intents and purposes is the same). Others have gotten the same results as well. The reality is that outside of memory benchmarks, 1T doesn't give you any benefit at all.
    edited March 2006
    Komete wrote:
    I just wanted to give an update I'm now in the 3ghz club :Rocker:
    I can bench mark and play games but not prime stable. Moving from 1t to 2t made all the difference. I don't know what kind of performance hit I take from going from 1 to 2 but I havn't notice any.

Congrats dude! looking good.. :thumbsup:
  • edited March 2006
    Hey Komete and The SMJ, I found out something else about these Dual Sata 2 boards yesterday that's pretty neat. As you guys know the stock HRM is a bit different than the normal HRM that comes on most A64 mobo's that use the backplate. It uses a mounting system for the HRM that works just like the socket 478 HRM in mounting to the mobo, using the 4 barbs and pins at the corners. Well, not only is it like the P4 HRM in it's retension system to the board, but the hole spacing is exactly the same too. So not only can you use any heatsink designed to mount to an A64 board, but you can also use any heatsink designed to mount to a socket 478 board too. I found this out yesterday when mounting up my Big Typhoon for testing and I didn't have the correct A64 backplate to mount with and used the "H" bracket included with the BT. When putting it on I noticed that the holes in the "H" bracket for socket 478 lined directly up with the holes for the Asrock HRM. :cool:
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2006
    Don't you just love it when things like that work out. Thanks for the info Muddocktor. I have to say you can't ask for more from this board. Well maybe better audio :)

Btw I hooked up my Audigy today and played some Fear. The difference is night and day. Fear actually was a little scarry again :)
  • edited March 2006
    Thats pretty neat. :) I just ended up making a backplate out of an old steel switchplate.
  • edited March 2006
    I also have a Opteron 144 and a ASRock Dual-Sata 2 mobo but I am having some troubles OC'ing mine and I have heard about a mod or something for the vcore of this mobo and I was wondering if someone would like to help me out? If anyone does just PM me or post in this thread. Thank you for your time.
  • edited March 2006
    NorKo wrote:
    I also have a Opteron 144 and a ASRock Dual-Sata 2 mobo but I am having some troubles OC'ing mine and I have heard about a mod or something for the vcore of this mobo and I was wondering if someone would like to help me out? If anyone does just PM me or post in this thread. Thank you for your time.

Hi NorKo, welcome to the Short Media forums. :)

If you look up this thread a little ways, you will see some charts on setting the vcore after you do the vmod. I got the vmod from the [URL="http://www.ocworkbench.com/2005/asrock/reviews/939dual-sata2/vcoremodguide2.htm]OCWB article[/URL]. The vmod shown there connecting vid4 together is for Venice procs. I connected vid3 for my X2 4400, since it has 1.35v vcore programmed from the factory for default. After connecting vid3 with silver conductive trace paint, I booted into bios and manually set vcore to 1.35v and saved and now I've getting 1.57v vcore on my X2 4400.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2006
    NorKo wrote:

Hey norko, muddocktor pretty much gave you all you need to do the vmod. When you are saying you are having problems overclocking how far have you gotton? I would think you should be able to do 2.7-2.8 on the stock vcore. can you give us some info on your settings bios versian etc?
  • edited March 2006
    Komete wrote:
    Hey norko, muddocktor pretty much gave you all you need to do the vmod. When you are saying you are having problems overclocking how far have you gotton? I would think you should be able to do 2.7-2.8 on the stock vcore. can you give us some info on your settings bios versian etc?
    I can get to 2.2 but certain things crash my PC then, so right now I am using 1.8 and my temps are around 25-33. Ok so I looked at that website and should I do exactly as they did because I have a Opteron 144, i'm not sure because some people have done it differently because they have different cores.