Athlon 64 3200+ Venice problems????

edited February 2006 in Hardware
Just built an Athlon 64 3200+ Venice on a Gigabyte K8-NSC939. Have had all kinds of troubles with temps. Idle is great at 26 c. But any graphic intensive game causes temps to soar until CPU just shuts off. Have tryed reseating heatsink several times with diffrent thermal paste, got a new case Spire Coolers with two 80mm fans and one 120mm on the side panel. When shuts off heatsink is warm to touch but not HOT! No overclocking done all settings default except have ADATA 2X512 pc3200 dual channel voltage +1. With gigabytes Easytune 5 my processor is reading 2009 mhz current and says 2000 mhz original? I did no overclocking is this normal? My HT freq is at 5X memory voltage at 2.6 Vcore at 1.35. Also in Easytune it has a voltage reading for CPU Vid? Its at 1.270 sometimes and 1.070 at others? Not sure what this is or maybe have a PSU problem?? POWMAX 400w? is this big enough? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

System Specs

Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
Gigabyte K8 NSC939
ADATA pc3200 2X512 recognized Dual Channel on MB
Geforce FX5500 256MB AGP 8X
Maxtor Sata 100gb

Comments

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Well, first things first, that POWMAX is junk. POWMAX make some of the worst power supplies ever. Your 12v rail is likely way too low, because it should be much higher than that for a stable proc. If I had to take a guess, it's likely your POWMAX power supply, they're just junk.

Edit for suggestion: If you're curious about the rails etc... there are people better versed in this than I, but you might try checking out the overclocking guide. While this is specifically for overclocking, the general information provided about power supplies is priceless.
  • edited February 2006
    My 12v is jumping from 12.2 to 12.4 not staying consistent? is this a problem? Seen a CoolMax power supply on newegg that was only like $35 450w dual 12v rails. Is CoolMax a decent PSU?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    No overclocking done all settings default except have ADATA 2X512 pc3200 dual channel voltage +1. With gigabytes Easytune 5 my processor is reading 2009 mhz current and says 2000 mhz original?
    I'm not certain what "Easytune" is, but it sounds like a software utility for CPU and memory tweaking. I've tested both MSI and Asus overclocking/tweaking utilities and have found both of them to be mediocre at best, and at worst destabilizing to the computer. I would recommend uninstalling all software tweaking utilities. If Gigabyte has a monitoring-only utility, I would imagine that would not be counterproductive. I use Asus Probe with my Asus rig because it's the only non-bios monitoring utility that works well with my Asus board.

A couple of other points:

What heatsink are you using?
    What are your CPU temperatures at idle and at load?
    Are CPU thermal protection options turned on or off in the BIOS?
  • edited February 2006
    Easytune is a overclocking and monitor program from Gigabyte, it came with motherboard, I dont use it for overclocking just to monitor temps because it has and alarm you can set for temp si if im gaming i know my temps are up. Im using stock AMD cooling with a silver thermal paste, not Artic Silver though. My idle temps are 26c - 27c. After about 45 minutes of gaming, BF1942, Call of Duty, DOOM 3 the Eastytune alarms goes off which is set at 63c! Cant find a thermal protection setting in my Bios, there is a thermal throttling which I have disabled, but from what ive read on this and other forums that is solely for standby mode? All settings are default in bios except CAS Latency and memory voltage is +1 at 2.6. HT Freq is at 5X. Ive had some other replys on other forums that some people think it might be a bad sensor or PSU. I believe my sensor is built into MB, since I didnt install one when built, and doesnt say anything about it in manual. Any other suggestions? Ill uninstall Easytune and try and get just a monitor program if you have any suggestions for a temp and voltage monitor?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Hmm, if the CPU isn't overclocked, it doesn't seem like it should be reaching 63*C, even under load. It would be interesting to see what the temperatures are with the case side off. That would be an indicator of how well the case is ventilated. Sometimes there can be multiple fans pulling air in and exhausting air out of the case, but if the air isn't directed right, it can be for naught.
  • edited February 2006
    Ive tried it with side case off still the same, temps still going way up when gaming, Think it could be my Power Supply? Its a 400 watt POWMAX? Only one 12v rail rated at 18amps