crashed my girlfriends xpp

edited February 2006 in Hardware
Thanks for having a look.
History:
Had her e-m files containing *.vxd for a 98 network - tolf her to copy to desktop first.
Two *.cab files: eln98 and eln98se.
Later - wanting to speed her machine up and clean it up - erased the EARthlink folder that contained these two cabs - retaining the only copy on the desktop - thinking that Earthling was silmply a isp - the system began to slow down and stop blue screen read about recently installed devices - a problem she's been having with a wireless card she's installed...
System stopped loading altogether and couldln't even access it through Safe Mode. Now only
using REcovery Console to even only view the bootlog.txt - that's as far as I've gotten - /safeboot doesn't appear to be working for me....

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    So this computer is running Windows 98? Sorry, I don't completely understand your post.
  • edited February 2006
    Thanks for resonding.
    No - my system is running 98 - I was trying to describe some history - she copied files off her xpp.
    These files were cab files containing vxds that I needed.
    These files were located on two places in her xpp - the desktop and an Earthlink folder - which didn't make sense to me - after I'd already uninstalled the Earthlink.
    Not even sure if any of this is related.
    The point is the xpp will not boot - in any mode.
    I've been using the tips from microsoft to view the Recovery Console - develope a bootlog, etc. - They recommend a process to replace a corrupted reg. - and I'm finding that the files aren't where micro-s thinks they should be. This is a Dell.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Sorry, I haven't used Win98 in years. Can't help you. What is "xpp".
  • hypermoodhypermood Smyrna, GA New
    edited February 2006
    XP Professional?
  • edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Sorry, I haven't used Win98 in years. Can't help you. What is "xpp".
  • edited February 2006
    Try to do a repair install of XP and see if that will cure your woes.
  • edited February 2006
    xp repair install option not available...already 'repaired' corrupted keys - but didn't copy repaired keys from security or sam - not suer if that mattered...
    xp starts to boot - system error: lsass.exe.
    Can't log back into Recovery Console without the Administrators Password - apparently an arbitrary figment of this system.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2006
    ...xp starts to boot - system error: lsass.exe...
    Could be the Sasser Worm.
    The Sasser worm (W32.Sasser.A and its variants) targets a security issue with the Local Security Authority Subsystem Service (LSASS) that Microsoft addressed with a released security update. Sasser targets computers with out-of-date software, and those computers remain at risk of infection until the update is installed. We recommend that customers install the update from Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011 to help protect against this malicious software.
  • edited February 2006
    Thanks for the response.
    I first have to get into the system - I saw the reference to the Sasser Worm looking through Microsoft Support - I don't remember seeing something that would help me to get passed the Admin. Sec. PW and boot the system competely - but, I'll have another look.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2006
    See if this helps.