StrasserStrasser Sweden, Lund
edited March 2006 in Hardware
CPU

Opteron 165

MOTHERBOARD

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 ULTRA-D, nF4 Ultra

PSU

Seasonic S12 PSU 600W, 120mm fläkt, 4xSATA, ATX/EPS, SLI, 20/24pin

1: Since this will be my first 64bit rig I would like some advice regarding 64bit software; OS,drivers etc.

2: The plethora of memory modules out there is making my head hurt so I would like some advice. I need something that overclocks well but not to the extremes, not above 300$. Corsair/crucial/ocz/kingston? pc3200 or memory rated for higer speeds?

3: I will OC but I wont go to any extrem lenghts. The stock cpu cooler, is it any good or should it be replaced immedieatly? Bear in mind that I wont OC to the top, plus my case is well ventilated.

TIA:sweflag:

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Unless you plan on running 64bit-threaded applications, you don't need, nor will you have any advantage with 64bit software. To take advantage of 64bit anything, you'd need Windows 64 bit operating system. Even then, it wouldn't serve you particularyly well unless you had 64bit applications to go with it.

I'll let someone else advise you on the system memory.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Don't use the 64 bit if you don't absolutely need it.

You've listed some decent ram brands but Idunno about kingston ...mushkin is good also. I've been reading a lot about the crucial ram lately ...seems nice. You can get 2gb of ram for under $300.

What about video?
  • StrasserStrasser Sweden, Lund
    edited February 2006
    I´m waiting for the 7900gt to hit the market, I would prefer ATI but it seems like nvidia is hitting the sweet spot right now.

2gb of ram? Won´t that hurt my oc endeavors? I think I read that somewhere... 2x1024 then I presume.

Performance pc3200 or high speed rated modules like pc3500,pc4000 etc???
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited February 2006
    The stock heatsink is fine. My Opty 165 does 2.5ghz 24/7 with one. The new heatpipe version with a 80mm fan is better, the Thermaltake Big Typhoon is best.

As for memory, if 2GB (2x 1GB) Corsair PC4000 2GB, OCZ or Gskill. If you're only running 1GB (2x 512MB) and TCCD will do.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited February 2006
    csimon wrote:
    Don't use the 64 bit if you don't absolutely need it.

You've listed some decent ram brands but Idunno about kingston ...mushkin is good also. I've been reading a lot about the crucial ram lately ...seems nice. You can get 2gb of ram for under $300.

What about video?

For RAM, if you aren't looking for major speeds, you can get 1 GB of it from Patriot Blue Sieris and its only about $80. This is it. I have the same king, and I've haven't had any problems O/C ing my 3500+ from 2.2 to 2.6 with a Zalman. Also, you can get dual channel Red Series for a bit more on newegg.
    It looks dull in the pictures but in real life, the heat spreaders are very metallic and shiny and they look cool. But its good memory. If you want a better company, I'd go with Mushkin, Crosair XMS, Kingston, Crucial, or Gigaram.
    edited February 2006
    Omega65 wrote:
    Thermaltake Big Typhoon is best.
    Ya have you seen the size in Prime's rig? If it wasn't the best, I don't think anyone would buy it. But Zalman is also very good. The one I have took temps down from 49 C before OC under load to 43 C after OC playing FEAR.
    Zalman Fans:
    THE ONE I HAVE
    THIS ONE IS SLIGHTLY BETTER BUT MORE EXPENSIVE
    BIG TYPHOON
    edited February 2006
    The Zalman 7000 and 7700 are completely outclassed by the Big Typhoon. Sorry Scar, you are smart, but on the heatsink front, you aren't quite up to speed. I've run two 7000s, two 7700s, and a Big Typhoon. There is no comparison, except in looks. The Zalman coolers are works of art. The Zalman 9500 is in the heavy duty class with the Big Typhoon and the Scythe Ninja. I just got a Ninja and have a 9500 in shipping. We'll see how they do.
    edited February 2006
    Someone pointed out to me that the DFI mobo is really meant for some really serious OC and I would'nt need it all. I read the reviews of it and the Epox 9NPA+ Ultra; I decided that the cost diffrence (not a big one here in Sweden) would be off set by the fact that DFI is just as stable and has every feature of the epox and then some.

It's true that I won't delve into some "mad" OC but the DFI seems to be stable whatever you do to it...

Since the ram offerings over here are quite sparce I've got crucial,corsair and ocz to choose between. Anyone got any ideas what to choose? I'd rather not spend as much money on ram as I will on the cpu if you know what I mean.

Last question: Antec or seasonic for my PSU?

cheers
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited February 2006
    Strasser wrote:
    Someone pointed out to me that the DFI mobo is really meant for some really serious OC and I would'nt need it all. I read the reviews of it and the Epox 9NPA+ Ultra; I decided that the cost diffrence (not a big one here in Sweden) would be off set by the fact that DFI is just as stable and has every feature of the epox and then some.

It's true that I won't delve into some "mad" OC but the DFI seems to be stable whatever you do to it...

Since the ram offerings over here are quite sparce I've got crucial,corsair and ocz to choose between. Anyone got any ideas what to choose? I'd rather not spend as much money on ram as I will on the cpu if you know what I mean.

cheers

For PSU I'd go with the Seasonic, it's more efficient & quieter. As for the board be prepared to do a lot of background reading if you go with the DFI. Sometimes they run great straight out of the box, other times you have to tweak the settings to get them to run right. Don't get me wrong I love my DFI but it took alot reading & tweaking to find the right settings for my board.

Have you considered an Abit board?? I really liked the AN8 Ultra board I had, very fast, very stable and easy to overclock.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited February 2006
    Strasser wrote:

cheers
    Links just for info purposes....

FSP Group (Fortron Source) FX600-GLN 600W EPS 12V 24/8/6-pin PFC ATX Power Supply Quad 12v rails @ 15A each ($122 shipped from Ewiz) I have one on the way :)

otherwise Seasonic S12 600w - I've seen some good reviews of this PSU

The Antec True Power II 550w & True Control II 550w are supposed to be nice.
  • edited February 2006
    I've also heard some very good things about the Seasonic 600 too. As for ram, I don't know what prices you have over there in Sweden but here in the US, Newegg has a damn good price on the OCZ Platinum PC4000 2 GB kit, well under Mushkin or Corsair's price for the same rated ram.

Here's a link to the OCZ ram at Newegg, to show you what kit I'm talking about. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227225
    edited February 2006
    Hmm, perhaps someone nice would order from newegg and send it to me....

Like that would happen in a million years =)
    edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    The Zalman 7000 and 7700 are completely outclassed by the Big Typhoon. Sorry Scar, you are smart, but on the heatsink front, you aren't quite up to speed. I've run two 7000s, two 7700s, and a Big Typhoon. There is no comparison, except in looks. The Zalman coolers are works of art. The Zalman 9500 is in the heavy duty class with the Big Typhoon and the Scythe Ninja. I just got a Ninja and have a 9500 in shipping. We'll see how they do.
    Leo, I did say that the Big Typhoon was better... I think i said it anyways... but what I was trying to get across was for the size, If you aren't going to be doing heavy ocing or anything, the Zalmans are a good choice. I did .4+ OC with my 3500+ Venice and it's ok so it should be no prob for him, unless of courese you got money to spend in which case what the hell go with the most expensive.
    edited February 2006
    Strasser wrote:

cheers

Ya at the begining of my search for building the perfect pc, I went to geek squad and I met this guy who was nice enough to help me for free and give me his e-mail so if i needed any more help I could contact him. The first board I'd picked was the DFI Lanparty and he said that it was for more advanced builders and ocers. I don't know though.
    edited February 2006
    Strasser wrote:
    Hmm, perhaps someone nice would order from newegg and send it to me....

Like that would happen in a million years =)
    I would but you may have to wait till I'm in college just umm 3-4 yrs away. My parents go nuts if i spend a dime and once I get a job im going to put all your rigs to shame :hitit2: .
    edited February 2006
    Ohh well, I'm going to the US next year so i'll just have to raid newegg ;)
    edited February 2006
    but what I was trying to get across was for the size, If you aren't going to be doing heavy ocing or anything, the Zalmans are a good choice.
    I don't think I could have said it any better, Scar. I've been very pleased with the 7000s and 7700s I've used (and am still using).
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2006
    From what I've been hearing the 7900 series cards are gonna require some immense power source. I remember seeing something about a dual core asus 7800 GTX that required an external powersource. Imagine how much power 2 7900GTX's(dual core) in SLI would eat up.
  • SmiGDigSmiGDig Albany, NY
    edited February 2006
    You would benefit from shying away from the stock cooler for sure.

As far as ram, Corsair XMS is a sub brand that is a bit pricier but very stable and high quality. It should cover whatever you're planning to do with that cpu. Memory is one thing you don't want to skimp on too much. There are some slower modules in the XMS series you may want to look into.
  • edited March 2006
    SmiGDig wrote:
    You would benefit from shying away from the stock cooler for sure.

Actually no, the retail cooler is quite good. I rate it almost equal to the aluminum XP90 in cooling capacity, when using a better fan on the retail than the stock fan. It will take a regular 80mm case fan and a Panaflo H1A is a great choice for it. The retail heatsink that comes with the DC Opterons and also the X2 4400 and above are a 4 heatpipe, copper base and aluminum finned heatsink and are the best retail hsf I've ever seen boxed with a retail processor. The stock fan is a 80 X 20mm thermostically controlled fan though, which you would want to replace if overclocking significantly. The cooler should be good for quite a bit of overclocking though, so if you want to hold off on a better cooling solution and concentrate more money for better ram you can do this with no problem. They have a few versions of this heatpipe cooler; the best version has all 4 heatpipes coming out on 1 side of the heatsink.