What's the Better DVD Burner?

Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
edited February 2006 in Hardware
What's the Better DVD Burner? As far a general compatibilty with media and ability to read disk created with other burners?

Pioneer DVD Burner Model DVR-110 D
NEC Beige IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3550A
LITE-ON DVD Burner Model SHM-165P6S BG
ASUS Model DRW-1608P2S

Comments

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2006
    my friend has this sony dvd burner and it works perfectly. I didnt check to see if newegg has it (they probably do), he works at bestbuy so i know they have it. Anyway it reads and writes to just about every brand/format dvd/cd. Its a great drive overall. It may be more expensive than the ones you listed, but its a really nice, high quality drive, and double layer. Im getting one soon for my computer, and as a present for my brothers b-day

edit- forgot the link :doh:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7638327&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01041&id=1130987962482
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited February 2006
    I have a irrational hatred of Sony Products that's why I didn't list them :)

they do make great HDTVs.....
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I voted NEC.

My 3520 hasn't made a single coaster yet. I have used a wide variety of media as I am cheap on this front quite a bit and just get the sale stuff. mine also works well with NERO and Roxio EZ Media creator.
    edited February 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    I voted NEC.

My 3520 hasn't made a single coaster yet. I have used a wide variety of media as I am cheap on this front quite a bit and just get the sale stuff. mine also works well with NERO and Roxio EZ Media creator.
    Thanks for the opinion MTG! BTW Your Package should be there on Tues :)
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited February 2006
    I'm with the Goat. Exactly the same drive - twice. Not a coaster yet and it has played everything I've thrown at it. I've only used Nero, though.

Flint
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2006
    I did a little bit of research, and overall the NEC seems to get better reviews than pioneer on several sites. Id go for it...good price too
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    For the love of God and all that is holy, don't buy Lite-On. My Sony drive was a rebadged Lite-On, and it's been nothing but trouble.
  • edited February 2006
    I voted Lite-On myself. I have both a NEC 3500 and the Lite-On and the reason I have both is that I ran into some kind of compatibility problem with the NEC and my DC Opti system that is my main rig. It would come up with some kind of communication error in Nero 6 Ultra, so I thought it was bad. I bought the Lite-On because that's what Walmart had available and I had a safety bonus Walmart card :D and dropped it into my system and it ran just fine. But the strange thing about the NEC is, that last time in from work I redid my watercooled rig and set my daughter's P4 up in it and I decided to try the NEC in her machine. Believe it or not, the NEC is working perfectly in her machine, using Nero 6 Ultra.:scratch:

So now I have access to 2 working dvd burners and both do a good job with no coasters. :thumbsup:
  • edited February 2006
    My Lite-On is rock solid actually, but my Pioneer DVR-109's never worked right, and for the life of me I can't seem to find RMA info on their site. Looking for an awesome DL DVD burner ATM.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2006
    I've got a sony and an LG that I use regularly and have never had an issue. But the LG is cheaper and came with better software so I push LG whenever anyone asks.
    edited February 2006
    I was leaning towards the Pioneer 110 now I'm being swayed towards the NEC

Keep those opinions/experiences coming! :thumbsup:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    I voted Lite-On myself. I have both a NEC 3500 and the Lite-On and the reason I have both is that I ran into some kind of compatibility problem with the NEC and my DC Opti system that is my main rig. It would come up with some kind of communication error in Nero 6 Ultra, so I thought it was bad. I bought the Lite-On because that's what Walmart had available and I had a safety bonus Walmart card :D and dropped it into my system and it ran just fine. But the strange thing about the NEC is, that last time in from work I redid my watercooled rig and set my daughter's P4 up in it and I decided to try the NEC in her machine. Believe it or not, the NEC is working perfectly in her machine, using Nero 6 Ultra.:scratch:

So now I have access to 2 working dvd burners and both do a good job with no coasters. :thumbsup:
    Mine still works great after upgrading to my Opty 170. :cheers: