Computer won't power on

abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
edited March 2006 in Hardware
Hi,

My computer was working perfectly fine, except that the CPU temps were a little high. I remembered that when I installed this new CPU 6 months ago, I used quite alot of Arctic Silver and covered the entire processor. When i was looking around on the web, I noticed someone mentioning putting a small blob of thermal paste in the centre of the processor. I thought if I cleaned the processor and used less Arctic Silver, the temp would go down a bit.

When I removed the XP-120, the CPU was stuck to it, and it was pulled out of the socket, even though the socket lever was still down. I must have used way too much Arctic Silver, as it was spilling of the sides. It took quite alot of effort to detach the CPU from the heatsink. I cleaned the CPU, then reapplied Arctic Silver and put it back in the socket. I reinstalled all the other hardware, and then push the power button on the computer.

Nothing happens. The computer won't even power on.

Please help. I think i might have killed the CPU.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2006
    Take it back out and see if you have any missing or bent pins. :(

Also: make sure the fan is connected in the proper place.
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited February 2006
    So if the CPU is dead, the computer won't even power on?
    edited February 2006
    That depends on how you define "dead". It is possible that a CPU with a bent pin might at least try to start up (though not likely). It's "dead" for all practical purposes, though "brain dead" might be a more accurate term.

Don't give up just yet. I should have thought to mention this before, but since you were changing stuff around just before the problem began it is possible that you just bumped a cable, card, or power connector out of place. Go back through and make sure everything is tight and in its proper place.

Another thing to try is to reset the BIOS. :)
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited February 2006
    I've checked all the cables, and reset the BIOS. Still no luck. So if the pins aren't 100% straight, then the CPU wont work at all, even if it fits in the socket?
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited February 2006
    I took out my CPU, and there were a few slightly bent pins.

Can i simply bend the pins back, or is the CPU dead?
    edited February 2006
    Do all the pins fit properly into the holes in the socket? Are they all there? (As in none broken clear off.)

If the pins seat properly, don't bend anything. If one is bent over completely you'll have to straighten it - but go slow and be as gentle as possible!
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited February 2006
    WOW WHAT BAD PICTURE THAT PAINTS IN MY MIND. I WOULD LITERALLY DIED IF THAT HAPPENED and you guys probably know my parents from all the other posts.
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited February 2006
    None of the pins are broken off, but i think that 1 or 2 are slightly bent, as when I put the CPU in the socket straight, it doesn't fit unless I put it in from an angle.

Is it either a faulty CPU or motherboard that can stop a computer from powering on?

Thanks.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2006
    If a few pins are bent, they might not be making good contact. That could be enough to not boot. Dont assume that its dead yet, you gotta try everything.

First thing, I'd make sure to clean up any arctic silver that may have gotten in the socket itself, or on the mobo. Also check the cpu very closely to be 100% sure wheter or not there are broken off/bent pins.
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited February 2006
    I've checked the CPU several times, and i'm sure there's no broken/missing pins. There#s some Arcic Silver on the socket, but how do I clean it? It might have gone in the holes, as there was some on the outside pins, which I cleaned.

Thanks.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited February 2006
    Use a pin or something small and scoop the compound out.
    edited February 2006
    Rubbing alcohol works great. Along with a few paper towels and what Nightwolf said about using a pin for the crevices you should be able to get it squeaky clean. Make sure you use a clean paper towel to get all the rubbing alcohol residue off, too.
  • rocket9244rocket9244 nebraska,usa
    edited February 2006
    clean everything around the cpu..yes over doing the artic silver onto anything but the cpu can burn it out...if you can..clean everything around the cpu and the cpu itself...just a couple drops of compound in midd of cpu /spread it out a bit..make sure your heat sink is on right.and the cpu fan is pluged onto the board.let it all dry out for a day then power on..hopefully the board/cpu aint fried.
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited February 2006
    IT'S ALIVE :celebrate

Thank you so much for all your help everyone.

I guess it must have been due to arctic silver in the socket. I know that one of the pins is ever so slightly bent, but my system is booting and i'm posting this message from the system.

I haven't tried overclocking yet. Do you think ther will be any side effects due to the bent pin?

Thanks
    edited February 2006
    If the computer is running fine then the slightly bent pin won't be a problem.

Glad you got it going. :cheers:
    edited February 2006
    dont overclock..unless you want your board to burn up before its time..overclocking makes your puter run faster/hotter...if you can afford a new board every 6 months or so..go ahead..but i dont recommend it
    edited February 2006
    rocket9244 wrote:
    dont overclock...
    There are a lot of people who would disagree. ;)
    edited February 2006
    i wont overclock..but yes many millions do..so i guess it aint a bad thing..but why over clock anyway..it just puts more strain on everything..i think,,im on a amd 1.3 .can and have over clocked to 2.2..but it scared me lol...i figure when it comes outta the store with a clock speed.,thats what the company reccomends it does...but then again if they dont want you to overclock then why do they send software with it so you can overclock?..got me...just read what others write and be careful..
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    dont overclock..unless you want your board to burn up before its time..overclocking makes your puter run faster/hotter...if you can afford a new board every 6 months or so..go ahead..but i dont recommend it
    Big pile of steaming horse cookies. :hrm:

Overclcocking will drasitcally increase the risk of parts failure, if the person performing the overclocking attempts too much, too soon, and doesn't know what he's doing. You make it sound like components will just start dropping like starlings in an ice storm!

OK, I feel better now. Rocket9244, a sincere welcome to Short-Media! :cheers: (I meant that, by the way.)

There are some elements (some) of truth to what you say. For ordinary day to day use of a computer, you are correct, overclocking won't make much of a difference. For some specific applications, which require 100% CPU processing power, overclocking can make a huge difference.

The reasons why many of us overclock is that through the process we learn computer hardware very well. We learn the performance limits of components, inter-compatibilty, tweaking for improved performance (sometimes without increased heat), and we learn the characteristics and designs of quality components.

I'll modify what you said: don't overclock unless you learn about it first and are ready to take the necessary precautions before you start.
  • edited March 2006
    Overclocking is also the challenge of taking a $100 processor and making it run as fast as a $1000 processor too(if you are lucky and get a good overclocker). Heck, even Intel and AMD use some of the same techniques us overclockers use when they are trying to squeeze one more speed grade out of a process; they raise the default core voltage. As long as the processor is adequately cooled and the core voltage increase is relatively modest, you aren't hurting the processor's useful life any. I have a desktop machine running a Pentium M processor on a P4 board (through the use of an adapter) and it overclocks like a wild madman. It started life as a 1.6 GHz processor and now it's running at over 2.8 GHz with the vcore raised only .2v, (1.55 v) and it runs at a loaded temp of around 40-45 C. If you know anything about Pentium M processors, the highest speed P-M is only 2.26 GHz, so I've gotten this processor to go much, much faster than Intel has thought of releasing (in the Pentium M series). I fully expect that it will last 3-4 years like that with no problems and by that time it will be so old and outmoded, it won't be a loss to speak of anyways.

What an overclocker does is basically bet that the manufacturer has gotten his process design down so well that it will run way beyond design specifications with no undo problems and it's worked out well for quite a few processors. :)
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited March 2006
    I know it's a bit late now but just to clarify, I used to overclock before this CPU incident. Look at my sig.

Lol. Didn't mean to get this heated discussion started again :D

Thank for all your help guys :cheers:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Nothing's wrong with a heated discussion as long as it's friendly. We don't usually get mean around here. :D