TT Big Typhoon vs. Zalman CNPS 9500 vs. Scythe Ninja

2»

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Sorry, haven't installed an AMD board in quite a while. Just do an internet search on "[your motherboard] + remove retention bracket". You'll probably find what you need rather quickly. Also, go to Thermalright's Website. They may have a guide there showing how to do it. I really doubt it's difficult.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    The stock HSF retention bracket just pops right off. It is only held on by the two screws on each end. Believe me a monkey could remove it in it's sleep.

My Typhoon also just cleared the case and it also happened to sit right under an external mesh air vent. It draws air from directly outside the case :)

I run folding@home 24/7 so the the CPU works at 100% all the time. I have also played quite a number of FPS games on it and I have never seen my temp above 39C.
  • edited April 2006
    Winga wrote:
    The stock HSF retention bracket just pops right off. It is only held on by the two screws on each end. Believe me a monkey could remove it in it's sleep.

My Typhoon also just cleared the case and it also happened to sit right under an external mesh air vent. It draws air from directly outside the case :)

I run folding@home 24/7 so the the CPU works at 100% all the time. I have also played quite a number of FPS games on it and I have never seen my temp above 39C.
    Aren't you using an A8N-SLI? I figured it may be different. Hopefully what you say holds true for the A8R32-MVP. As a side note, what do you think about the thermaltake big typhoon VS Thermalright SI-120 w/ panaflo fan?
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    psupef2k wrote:
    Aren't you using an A8N-SLI? I figured it may be different. Hopefully what you say holds true for the A8R32-MVP. As a side note, what do you think about the thermaltake big typhoon VS Thermalright SI-120 w/ panaflo fan?

Yes I am using a different board and I do stand to be corrected if your mounting bracket turns out to have a different configuration.
    The installation guide that came with the Typhoon did not even include installation instructions for the newer A8 MB's, yet it worked just fine. It seems the Black HSF mounting bracket on the ASUS boards are pretty generic. I have compared the mounting bracket on our boards and they look exactly the same.

I have included a link to Thermaltake's website for the instruction leaflet that comes with the cooler. http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/2005/support/installguide/coolers/CL-P114_Big_Typhoon.pdf (3.21Mb .Pdf Download)
    Maybe that will help anwer any questions you may have with regards to installation :)
  • edited April 2006
    I have opted for the SI-120. Going to pair it up w/ a Delta 120x25mm fan.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de12trbllows.html
    edited June 2006
    Thread bump.

Reason: lots of discussion lately centering on 120mm fan-ventilated heatsinks.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Can you bump a Sticky? ;)

Or do you recommend that I un-sticky this thread and see if more people notice it that way?
    edited June 2006
    Can you bump a Sticky?
    .... oops :eek3:

When I did that I was in a big hurry. I did a quick forums search, copied the thread link to another thread, and 'bumped' the original, not even seeing where it was located.
  • mmaturenmmaturen Caracas, Venezuela.
    edited June 2006
    Thanks Leonardo! I looken into this tread yesterday morning And having the option of gettin the zalman or the Big T I went for the latter, and I works great!!! I installed last night on My asus A8nSli Deluxe, using some AS5 ( so these temps are likely to drop), and it worked like a charm!!! after installation the temps dropped to 31c! on idle.. my previous temp were 42 on Idle, ( I got my hands on one of those AMD opti Heatpiped cooler) and rose to 49-50 on load.

So I threw a bunc of games at it at first:

SC chaos Theory.
    Hitman Blood Money.
    Oblivion
    HL2
    Sin Episodes.
    Fable the lost Chapter.

The temps never rose more than 39C.

so I decided to leave prime 95 runnig all night. using the torture test, and this morning, all the test were ok, and the higer the temp whent was 41c!!!

I really happy with this selection,(besides I have the pc next to me all night, I made no sound at all!!!!).

So thanks leonardo, and you all you a8nSli owner, this cooler fits, I have it on a tt tsunami case,.

Cheers.

Miguel.
  • ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited September 2006
    My brother runs nothing but the Zalman CNPS 9500 series cooler in all pc's now. Suffice to say we have found it to be the best cooling solution period!

We have had temp drops of over 10'C in most cases with the Zalman CNPS 9500 series, my brother says a very well ventilated case is critical in squeezing the best out of the Zalman.

Later
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited September 2006
    Yep, I bought a Big Typhoon, a Scythe Ninja, a Zalman CNPS9500 and a few others, and the pick of the bunch was.......well I now have 7 of the Zalmans.

The stand out for me was a 54 degree C ambient in the room, most of the comps had shut down with the heat, but a P4 840XE (overclocked) was still folding away with the Zalman keeping it just below shutdown temperature.

Datsun 1600
    edited September 2006
    Suffice to say we have found [the Zalman 9500] to be the best cooling solution period!
    It's a very good heatsink to be sure, and adequate for most systems, but it is not in the same league as the Thermaltake Big Typhoon and Scythe Ninja. It is though, in my opinion, the best looking of the three.
  • ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited September 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    It's a very good heatsink to be sure, and adequate for most systems, but it is not in the same league as the Thermaltake Big Typhoon and Scythe Ninja. It is though, in my opinion, the best looking of the three.

Well we found that the Zalman outshines the rest, but the critical factor in it performing at 100% is very good case ventilation, it likes a lot of air movement and we will be staying with them.

Not taking anything away from the other coolers as they are very good indeed but my brother has run extensive tests and the Zalman came out the winner for us.

Later
    edited September 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    I beg to differ on that, as with my above post both the Big Typhoon and the Scythe Ninja shutdown unable to keep P4 830s under 75C. The three comps were in Coolermaster Centurion 5 cases. Yes you can put higher output fans on them, but running them stock is what I tried.

Datsun 1600
    edited September 2006
    Datsun 1600 and Shalimar, thanks for your input. Perhaps my respect for the 9500 is now elevated. It was just in my experience with D820 Processors at close to 4.0GHz that the Zalman showed higher temps of up to 4*C. That's very interesting about the 54*C ambient temperature. Sorry but there's no way I could test under those conditions without sealing off my office and installing a large space heater!

I would be very happy to hear of anyone else's comparison of the Typhoon, 9500, and Ninja. And of course comparisons with later model heatsinks from Zalman, Thermaltake, Scythe, and Thermalright would be appreciated as well. Please though, don't just post about any single cooler unless you have some basis for comparison such as Datsun presented. There's always room to start a separate thread if you wish to remark about a particular heatsink not closely related to this thread.
    edited November 2006
    the Big Typhoon and the Scythe Ninja shutdown unable to keep P4 830s under 75C
    Let me first apologize for responding to your post three months after you wrote.

There is no way the Ninja and Typhoon would perform that poorly, unless:

- not mounted flush with CPU heatspreader (easy to do with the Ninja)
    - the sinks were defective
    - the case ventilation was cut off
    - there was no thermal paste present

I have run both the Ninja and Typhoon on D820s (as hot as a CPU gets) at 3.8GHz at full with CPU core temps 10*C + lower than 75.
    edited December 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Let me first apologize for responding to your post three months after you wrote.

There is no way the Ninja and Typhoon would perform that poorly, unless:

- not mounted flush with CPU heatspreader (easy to do with the Ninja)
    - the sinks were defective
    - the case ventilation was cut off
    - there was no thermal paste present

I have run both the Ninja and Typhoon on D820s (as hot as a CPU gets) at 3.8GHz at full with CPU core temps 10*C + lower than 75.
    Yep, you could be right I don't know what I am doing. I spent 2 hours lapping the Big Typhoon, to remove a 0.5mm x 6mm(0.020 x 0.240 inch) groove out of the base and lapped the Ninja as well, even checked the AS5 was spread across the IHS by removing the HSF before adding more AS5 before final mounting. As all were mounted in Coolermaster Centurion 5 cases sitting beside each other, there may have been a huge hot spot around the Ninja and Big Typhoon, shame I run 10 comps and the 8 x Zalman 9500 are just that much better than the rest.

Datsun 1600
    edited December 2006
    Datsun, I was not implying that you were sloppy or incompetent. I was merely posting what I thought might have caused such high temps with those heatsinks, that's all. I know that when I first tested the Ninja, it took me several tries each of three different computers before I finally got it seated correctly. For me, installing it was a pain.

Who knows, maybe I am the one who had a problem - the 9500.

I'm really interested in trying out that new 9700 some time. And also, there's that new closed loop water cooler (forgot the manufacturer). But at the moment, there isn't much money for luxuries.
    edited December 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    I'm really interested in trying out that new 9700 some time. And also, there's that new closed loop water cooler (forgot the manufacturer). But at the moment, there isn't much money for luxuries.
    Ordered a Zalman 9700 last weekend and will pick up 1 or 2 of them, in the morning, they are supposed to be about 4 degrees better than the 9500, but these days any review on any site is taken with a grain of salt, as I see more problems posted by normal users than review sites, on some of the latest computer gear that is being rushed to market, before proper testing.

Datsun 1600
  • edited May 2007
    I have the Zalman 9700, works like a charm.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited May 2007
    The 9700 is a fine cooler, but the new Thermaltake offering in town is the Thermaltake V1. It is easily the 9700's match.

Both are great products and equally priced- so I would grab the one that

1. Fit my case best.
    2. Fit my taste best.
    3. Is on sale.
  • deadlock-777deadlock-777 britain
    edited December 2007
    artic freezer pro 7..best air cooler around and can cool an overvolted quad core cpu like the extreme [intel core two extreme]and cheap..scythe katana cross is anouther but falls short of the freezer pro ok.www.andysamurai.com