Cooling Solutions for AMD64 X2 4200+

borzborz Brisbane ,Qld
edited March 2006 in Hardware
a novice trying to cool my cpu . sick of the generic fan whining too much .just dont know which way to go .

bit worried AMD recommends nothing greater than450g . i want someting to fit on my k8nsnxp-939 .

any sugestions

Comments

• edited March 2006
    Yeah borz, there are some great choices out there right now, some more expensive than others.

First of all, you can go look on eBay and see if you can find any retail AMD heatsinks off of the X2 4400, X2 4600, X2 4800 and Opteron 165, 170 or 175. These heatsinks are a heatpipe solution that AMD has been including in the higher rated X2 and Opteron dual core processors and are actually quite good. Don't pay more than around $20-25 for one.

Your next choice would be a Thermaright XP90 or XP90C. These are also a heatpipe solution that uses a 92mm fan, so they are pretty quiet. SVC compucycle sells the XP90 for a little under $30 and it doesn't come with a fan so you would have to buy a 92mm fan to go with it. The XP90C is an all copper version of the XP90 and is generally quite a bit more expensive. With that said, I just won an auction on eBay for an XP90C for $36 delivered, so you can save some money there.

Next, you have the Scythe Ninja. It's a big heatpipe solution too and uses a 120mm fan. If you shop around, you can get it with a 120mm fan for around $50. I don't own one of these personally so I can't tell you from experience how well they work, but everything I've read about them says that they are top notch.

Finally, the last heatsink I'll mention is the Thermaltake Big Typhoon. It's also a big heatpipe solution and also uses a 120mm fan, which is included with it. I just got one of these in and will be installing it very soon, but it is a real impressive looking heatsink unit, with plenty of clearance for capacitors around the socket. It can also be used on Intel sockets 478 and 775 and on AMD socket 462 (socket A), 7545, 939 and 940. All the adapters for the various style boards are included in the hsf kit. It also sells for around $50.
  • borzborz Brisbane ,Qld
    edited March 2006
    Thanks muddocktor

thats really helpfull and your right there are alot of options . what really concerns me is the weight of these heat sinks!. also what you think of thermaright xp-120 .

i want to use it on a gigabyte k8nsnxp-939. is anyone out thats is running that combo ?

thanks

muddocktor wrote:
    Yeah borz, there are some great choices out there right now, some more expensive than others.

First of all, you can go look on eBay and see if you can find any retail AMD heatsinks off of the X2 4400, X2 4600, X2 4800 and Opteron 165, 170 or 175. These heatsinks are a heatpipe solution that AMD has been including in the higher rated X2 and Opteron dual core processors and are actually quite good. Don't pay more than around $20-25 for one.

Your next choice would be a Thermaright XP90 or XP90C. These are also a heatpipe solution that uses a 92mm fan, so they are pretty quiet. SVC compucycle sells the XP90 for a little under $30 and it doesn't come with a fan so you would have to buy a 92mm fan to go with it. The XP90C is an all copper version of the XP90 and is generally quite a bit more expensive. With that said, I just won an auction on eBay for an XP90C for $36 delivered, so you can save some money there.

Next, you have the Scythe Ninja. It's a big heatpipe solution too and uses a 120mm fan. If you shop around, you can get it with a 120mm fan for around $50. I don't own one of these personally so I can't tell you from experience how well they work, but everything I've read about them says that they are top notch.

Finally, the last heatsink I'll mention is the Thermaltake Big Typhoon. It's also a big heatpipe solution and also uses a 120mm fan, which is included with it. I just got one of these in and will be installing it very soon, but it is a real impressive looking heatsink unit, with plenty of clearance for capacitors around the socket. It can also be used on Intel sockets 478 and 775 and on AMD socket 462 (socket A), 7545, 939 and 940. All the adapters for the various style boards are included in the hsf kit. It also sells for around $50.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    what really concerns me is the weight of these heat sinks!
    It really shouldn't worry you.

Unless you frequently carry your case to LAN parties or move it around the house a lot, and IF you have a poor quality motherboard with thin PCB (motherboard plate material) you should have no worries. I've used the Scythe Ninja, Zalman CNPS 7700 and 9500, and Thermaltake Typhoon on several different motherboards. Some of the boards flexed a little due to the tension on the motherboard backplate mount, but all these heatsinks were completely stable, even with my hand jammed against them when working inside the computer cases. The mounting hardware that comes with these big bruisers is top notch. One caveat: the boards I've mounted the above mentioned heatsinks on were all Socket 478 and 775. I have not tried these sinks on Socket A, 939, or 940. The mounting hardware that was included for those boards though, did look very good.

I recently did a short write-up on the 7700, 9500, Ninja, and Typhoon. You can see it here.
  • borzborz Brisbane ,Qld
    edited March 2006
    Thanks leonardo . i dont carry my cases around and doesnt even get shifted much . i have a gigabyte k8nsn xp-939 . overcoming that i guess have to find out whether they physically fit.

thanks again
    Leonardo wrote:
    It really shouldn't worry you.

Unless you frequently carry your case to LAN parties or move it around the house a lot, and IF you have a poor quality motherboard with thin PCB (motherboard plate material) you should have no worries. I've used the Scythe Ninja, Zalman CNPS 7700 and 9500, and Thermaltake Typhoon on several different motherboards. Some of the boards flexed a little due to the tension on the motherboard backplate mount, but all these heatsinks were completely stable, even with my hand jammed against them when working inside the computer cases. The mounting hardware that comes with these big bruisers is top notch. One caveat: the boards I've mounted the above mentioned heatsinks on were all Socket 478 and 775. I have not tried these sinks on Socket A, 939, or 940. The mounting hardware that was included for those boards though, did look very good.

I recently did a short write-up on the 7700, 9500, Ninja, and Typhoon. You can see it here.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    borz - the manufacturer websites usually have a listing of which boards their coolers fit. Sometimes you can get a cooler to fit a board that's not listed with a little finessing, but I'd definitely recommend making sure of the compatibility before buying. mudd's recommendation of the stock cooler from the dual core chips is a good one too. Very good value.