iTunes and MP4, stupid?

2»

Comments

• witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited June 2007
    A long time ago I wanted to record my LP's onto my hard drive and no one could tell me how to do that - inexpensivley that is! I bought a very simple program from Denmark called Loop Recorder. It cost $22.79 US today - I just looked it up. This will record any sound you put on your computer - a friend and I have Skype and he is just learning how to convert vinyl to disc and we have to do most of the training on the telephone when he is recording. When I buy from I-Tunes or anywhere else (Amazon occasionally) i just record the song by playing it and then edit and save as I want. I use Cool Edit 2K - but someone bought that company and I'm not sure if it is still available. Jack
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    You can use Audacity. It's the same as Cool Edit but free.
    edited June 2007
    Kwitko wrote:
    You can use Audacity. It's the same as Cool Edit but free.

:rolleyes: Oh -IF I had belonged to a team, and Oh IF that technology was available 6 years ago - ;) Think of the money I could have saved. Jack
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    It was. It's called a turntable and RCA cables.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    only if the turntable has line level outs. else you will need a preamp to boost the phono out voltage up to something usable.
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I forgot about that, but I run everything through a four channel powered mixer, so I guess it works for me.
    edited June 2007
    yeh, most mixers will have a preamp built in. I have a crappy radioshack 4 channel mixer in my room and it has to phone inputs with preamps.
    edited June 2007
    It was. It's called a turntable and RCA cables.

I know about RCA cables - what's a turntable? Is that a computer add on? :cool: Jack
    edited June 2007
    You're kidding, right...?
    edited June 2007
    turntable - The thing that plays music. think of it as a big analogue cd.

I really like vinyl though. It has a mellowish tone to it. or that could just be my nice big analogue amplifier.
    edited June 2007
    I've got like, 100 old LP's I'm hesitating to digitize, because alot of those are worth a hefty chunk of paper and I don't wanna risk dropping them.
    edited June 2007
    just don't be a butter fingers with them. I regularly play record from my dads collection which is over 300 some old vinyls, plus my moms records. Most of their music is from the 60's and 70's, and probably about 50 or 60 of them are fairly rare and worth a lot of money. Most of them are in just about perfect condition too. Nothing like throwing down Queens a night at the opera and chilling out.
    edited June 2007
    Of course - was a disk jockey for 25 years in top 40 radio - probably before your time. Bothered started this thread and I was really answering him regarding what I did before I knew better - I had to learn somewhere and no one was teaching audio - and I had a huge library of some pretty good stuff. With Win 95 and 98 techs had no idea how to record to a hard drive except with media recorder. Today - you can do anything with anything. Now I just wish I could get my hands on an old Magnacorder or Ampex reel to reel tape deck.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Ugh, are you kidding? One of the happiest days of my life was the day I realized I would never have to use another reel to reel deck... :p
    edited June 2007
    It sounds different than digital.
    edited June 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    Ugh, are you kidding? One of the happiest days of my life was the day I realized I would never have to use another reel to reel deck... :p

But - But - I have about 4 bank boxes full of tapes from 40 + years ago and I would love to see what I had saved from then - Old audition tapes, Live radio shows - an album from the late 50's that I know is on one of the tapes and that one is impossible to replace.

In regards to breaking 45 rpm of 33 1/2 lp's - as long as they don't hit a hard surface on the edge they are (within reason) impossible to break. Worst thing for vinyl is skin oil, dirt, and of course direct sunlight or forgetting they are in your car on a hot day. Handle with cotton gloves and always make sure the stylus is in the proper position.

Anyway - nice to remember some of the very good old days. Jack