$5000 for a new laptop!

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited March 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys, I need your advice on this question just because there are so many different options.

My friend has $5000 to spend on a new laptop which hes going to be buying in the next month or so. Hes going to be using it for college (hes a business major) probably just to be taking notes or whatever. Maybe some gaming. Yea i know $5000 is overkill for just regular use, but its his money, and thats how he wants to spend it.

Alright so if you guys have suggestions, please post links so i can send them to him. thanks :cheers:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    If I do post a laptop, I guarantee you I won't be posting one that's more than $2000.

Your business major friend needs some courses in investment.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    $5000 -> new laptop purchase = idiot/tons of disposable income/no financial smarts

or

= someone who knows as much about computers as I do about Himilayan basket weaving.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited March 2006
    I'm reminded of the "Build me the Ultimate Computer" thread :crazy:
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited March 2006
    http://www.falcon-nw.com/config2/fragbook.asp

have him go here their stock is around 4700 bucks
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited March 2006
    gibbonsl wrote:
    http://www.falcon-nw.com/config2/fragbook.asp

have him go here their stock is around 4700 bucks
    Cool site.. mine came out to $6,498.43 :p
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited March 2006
    ok guys come on be a little serious here. This is what he wants, and im trying to help him. I'd appreciate it if you would list some parts that you would suggest, and I dont intend on this becoming the "ultimate computer" thread.

He was looking to buy an alienware with the following parts: Please let me know what you guys think about these parts. any changes?
    cpu - intel p4 670
    mem- 3 gigs ddr2 ( i think)
    hd - 160gig
    vid - 7800 256mb (mobile, to go, whatever they call it)
    alienware's name - $2000 + parts above ;)
    edited March 2006
    an Alienware with those stats come in under 4000 bucks

or any laptop that has those stats come in around 4000 bucks

www.pctorque.com the 9890
    www.powernotebooks.com the 9890
    http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_pages/area-51_m7700/area-51_m7700_features.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-AREA51-M-7700&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

altho this looks close to thos stats and price
    http://www.powernotebooks.com/configure.php?special=260
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I honestly wouldn't touch Alienware. He's better off getting something really nice from powernotebooks.com and putting the rest toward software, food, and alcohol.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    There is a 19" monster laptop coming out sometime, it'll have dual Geforce 7800's.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=823
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited March 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    Hey guys, I need your advice on this question just because there are so many different options.

My friend has $5000 to spend on a new laptop which hes going to be buying in the next month or so. Hes going to be using it for college (hes a business major) probably just to be taking notes or whatever. Maybe some gaming. Yea i know $5000 is overkill for just regular use, but its his money, and thats how he wants to spend it.

Alright so if you guys have suggestions, please post links so i can send them to him. thanks :cheers:

Then he should buy a desktop pc for his gaming and a lowpowered light weight notebook so he can take it to class to class.. hell that will come to much less then that and he will get the best of both worlds.

edit: Lugging around a desktop replacement is painfull.
  • edited March 2006
    GrayFox wrote:
    Then he should buy a desktop pc for his gaming and a lowpowered light weight notebook so he can take it to class to class.. hell that will come to much less then that and he will get the best of both worlds.

edit: Lugging around a desktop replacement is painfull.

yeah I agree. hence the word lap. you dont want to caring a diesle 19"

P.S. is the site slow for anyone else besides me?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Buy a good $3,000 NB and put the rest in the bank to replace it in 3 years.

My criteria. The thing has to be portable. Screen 15"~15.5" range, weight not over about 7 pounds.
    No P4, If you are buying now you can get PM, Core (S or D), or the nice low power AMD.
    2GB ram is plenty.
    Deicated video with memory. Anything will be an improvement over traditional.
    Nothing over a 100GB HDD, if you need more storage use and external drive.
    If you really use multi-media look at Sony, they integrate it well.
    Buy a docking station and real kb, mouse and monitor for use at your desk.

Actually I am looking for notebook to buy in couple of months. By then the Core introduction should have move pricing down a bit.
    edited March 2006
    aznherb36 wrote:
    P.S. is the site slow for anyone else besides me?
    Its slow because were still suffering from people checking fridays digg and slashdot... expect it to take at least a week to go away.
    edited March 2006
    right now hes looking at the following...changed his mind. He has alot of money, so this is what he wants. I know its alot to spend, but its his, not mine so whatever.

alienware
    cpu - amd fx 60
    ram - 2 gigs
    vid - 7800 gtx 256mb
    hd - 160 gigs
    and a bunch of random extra stuff that he doesnt need - extra battery, extra charger, random software hes not going to use, ect...changes?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Sorry, your friend sounds like he's not thinking this through enough, and is more concerned with penis size than actual value.
    edited March 2006
    Sorry, your friend sounds like he's not thinking this through enough, and is more concerned with penis size than actual value.
    Thats what she said :p .

[/bad joke]
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_CTO-Start?ProductSKU=M1NBSP06
    Sony FE
    mid-sized, you can carry it without dying and the batteries last a while.
    "7" series graphics.
    Core Duo CPU

Oh, by the way, get the two or three year service plan and accident protection. It is worth it.
    edited March 2006
    I figured i could get some good advice considering that this is a hardware forum and all, but i guess not. thanks edcentric and gibbonsl for some good suggestions.

I know my friend is stupid for doing this, but im trying to help him. He has alot of money to throw around, and hes a good friend so im trying to get him what he asked for. I know most of you wouldnt spend that much, but he has the money.
  • edited March 2006
    It's just silly for anyone to consider throwing down $5k on one laptop. I bet he wants to have the best laptop for where he goes.
    edited March 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    I know my friend is stupid for doing this, but im trying to help him. He has alot of money to throw around.......

did you not read what i said? ^^^

I'm sure if you were rich you wouldnt be saying that. I think its foolish too, but he has the money. Im not paying for it, so i dont care. Im just helping him find one.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    OK here.... You can add more money by getting the warrantee as you can see I forgot to add in by this picture....

Here is the laptop: http://www.powernotebooks.com/configure.php?special=263
    edited March 2006
    ok guys come on. Seriously, im just asking for suggestions, not a whole laptop. I put down the parts that my buddy was looking at and i wanted to see what you guys thought. I was asking for suggestions on the parts, not to build me an entire laptop. I had no intent on this turning into the "ultimate computer" thread with no guidlines at all. You guys are usually good with this kinda stuff....
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    hey, your friends can have the best, if he wants to spend 5k on it then by all means do, but i would get the fastest core duo and 2 gigs of ddr2 ram with a nice vid card in it and of course a big hard drive. that should rack up the price real quick.

and if its still not expensive enough your friends could always get a mac.:D

ive messed around with a a core duo laptop and im pretty sure its the fastest laptop ive ever used. i really want one when i go to college, but they are expensive and theyll be out dated by fall '07 (when i go)
    edited March 2006
    thanks for your opinions airbornflght.

I was having a conversation with him about this, and he is a complete retard. I'll copy my conversation with him below...im gonna take his sn out so you guys dont make fun of him.
    im tmh88j just for reference

TMH88J (11:59:38 PM): what are you gonna do with your desktop
    xxxxx (11:59:45 PM): i'll still use it
    xxxxx (12:00:16 AM): like files and programs im done on my laptop i'll transfer it to my desktop
    xxxxx (12:00:23 AM): almost like a backup unit
    TMH88J (12:00:26 AM): i was gonna say dont get the 7800 GTX and the 3 gigs of memory. just get something a little lower. And with the $$ you save buy a 7800 GS for your computer you have now
    TMH88J (12:00:37 AM): get like 1 gig, and a 6800 GT
    xxxxx (12:00:54 AM): i won't have time to play games on my cpu
    TMH88J (12:01:04 AM): desktop or laptop?
    xxxxxx (12:01:06 AM): both cause i'll be at school and working at BBY and my restraunt
    xxxxxx (12:01:11 AM): So why are you buying such an expensive computer?
    xxxxxx (12:01:20 AM): cause i'll be out all the time
    xxxxxx (12:02:24 AM): im probley going to sell this desktop computer to my aunt for like 900
    xxxxx(12:02:43 AM): so thats extra dough i can use toward accessories for my notebook
    TMH88J (12:02:56 AM): Ok so your spending about $5000 on a new laptop, and your not even going to play games on it. Your just using it for notes and email and stuff?
    xxxxxxx(12:03:21 AM): yea pretty much. I just want my laptop to still be really fast in 4 years.
    TMH88J (12:03:41 AM): ? that makes no sense. So your spending $5000 on a laptop and your not gaming on it, just for internet, email and notes? If you were to buy a $2000 laptop now its not like its gonna suck in 4 years. My parents computer is almost 4 years old, and my little brother plays cs and halo on it.

AHHHHH God I hate rich people who dont deserve their money. :mean:
    edited March 2006
    http://www.pctorque.com/builder.php?type=96

for the second set of stats

this one has all he needs for the price
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I honestly can't recommend a Dell laptop. The one my parents use is extremely slow (sluggish performance on Windows XP desktop, no programs open) and there's no excuse for that on a 1.6GHz Pentium M. Of the five or so people I know with Dell laptops only one likes it, and that person never takes it out of his room. I'd be much more comfortable recommending a Compaq or HP than a Dell.

I'm very pleased with my IBM Thinkpad T42p. The package I opted for would normally cost $4000 a year and a half ago but I had a friend working there that hooked me up with her employee discount and brought it down to $3000. It has a 2.1GHz Pentium M, 1GB of DDR333, a 1600x1200 15" display, a 60GB 7200RPM hard drive, Mobility FireGL T2 128MB discrete video, DVD-RAM drive, and a battery good for 4 hours in power-conservation mode and 1.5 hrs at maximum performance. The main selling points for me were the processor, memory, discrete video, and 1600x1200 LCD. It's not very good for gaming since the FireGL T2 is comparable to a 9600 Pro and the response time of the LCD is around 25ms but for web browsing, e-mail, and having a bunch of buffers open in Visual Studio you really appreciate the space. Also, the keyboard is totally awesome. The keyboard layout matches that of a normal desktop keyboard with the 6-key 'Home' pad in the top right corner and the arrow keys at the bottom right in the proper orientation as well as the full 12 F-keys. You never really appreciate a good keyboard until you've had to use one with a non-standard layout like the original Macintosh standard keyboard and the built-in keyboards on my parents' Dell Inspiron (can't remember the model no.) and my friend's Dell Latitude (no model no. here either). I also love the pointing devices on my Thinkpad; I spend most of my time on the stick between my G and H keys but occasionally use the touchpad. The only way it could get better is if they replaced the touchpad with an old-school trackball. The bundled vendor software is unusual in the aspect that it actually works and is useful. The included connections manager is smart and remembers the MAC addresses and SSIDs of WiFi networks you've connected to and automatically loads the correct profile when you jack in or see that SSID again. This is nice for me since my school requires a VPN login to use its wireless network and I set up a profile that automatically launches the VPN software when the school network's SSID is detected. On my parent's Dell it took forever to unload all that crap and bloatware they bundle on their machines.

I could go on forever about my laptop. It rocks.

I can't speak for any other vendor but customer service with IBM and Lenovo is a breeze. The DVD-RW drive in my laptop failed after some international travel and I had to call IBM to get it replaced. I called 10AM on a Tuesday and was put through to a human immediately and after a short troubleshooting session the replacement drive was on my doorstep at 9AM the following morning. They didn't have the original model of my drive in stock so they bumped it up to a better model that supports dual layer burning and is faster all around.

I took a look at the new T-series notebooks on the Lenovo site and they've got some pricy models with Core Duo chips and large quantities of memory. I honestly can't stand the keyboard layout on non-IBM laptops but that's a personal preference thing. I didn't see any models with the nice 1600x1200 display but that's not saying there aren't any. I like the T series notebooks for their size and mass but there are also some desktop replacement models if you like the heft. I wouldn't recommend an IBM as a gaming notebook but IMHO that's what desktops are for. However, it bears mention that UT2004 and BF1942 are playable at reasonable detail settings on my laptop at 1600x1200 and the SNES emulator runs full speed in power conservation mode.

If you think this post reads like an IBM sales pitch, that's because it is. I believe when you've had a really awesome experience with a computer that you should tell people about it and pimp the company when threads like these come up. Represent! :rockon:

-drasnor :fold:
  • edited March 2006
    Hell, if your dumb buddie wants to spend a bunch of bucks on a machine that he wil never push to the limit, well don't worry about it and let him blow his money. Dell has the Inspiron E1705, which you can equip with a core duo T2600 DC Yonah processor and throw in 2 GB of DDR2667 ram and a GeForce Go 7800 graphics and he can have the biggest, fastest laptop penis around until the next newer model comes out. :D Seriously though, he really needs to go with a core duo proc instead of those desktop processor systems as their battery life will be crap and will be heavy as hell to carry around. I'm playing around with building that laptop on Dell's site and he can build as expensive a computer as needs to, to satisfy his rather large wallet he want to see lose weight. ;D He can build it out for under $4500 with all the bells and whistles and also with a 3 year warrantee and 3 year accidental damage policy too.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited March 2006
    Hell, have your friend give you the money to get the thing. Then buy a $3000 lappy and pocket the other 2g as a "finders fee" =P

If he's that rich...who's gonna notice?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I would go Alienware! they make the best Laptops on the market my Aurora m7700 is the most Kick a$$ piece of hardware I own! also the Dell 9300 series or even XPS series are great Lappies.. the only issue is I don't like Intel. :) I would buy a Lappy that has a desktop CPU in it no some chump Mobil CPU.... I mean he has 5k give him the lappy of his dreams :)

I can think of a few lappy things I would like to have if I had $5000.00 and I'm not talking computers :) oh damn I can't think like that I'm married now :(
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I would not recommend a P4 notebook, even for a guy who wants to waste his money.

Here's what I recommend: I'll sell him my notebook for $5000. It's worth about $750 right now. ;)

Seriously, if this guy thinks doing something like this is a good idea after he gets his business degree, then he will have learned nothing in school.

I'm not sure if I'm reading your posts coreectly, tmh88 - is he trying to get you to build him a notebook (since you were posting individual components) or does he want one prebuilt? :scratch: