A8R-MVP problems and fixes "post your experiences here"

edited April 2006 in Hardware
Hi

Im starting this thread to all ppl out there with A8R-MVP that has problems ( or not ) and to explain there experience and way to solve the isues.

Thanks

My problems are...sometimes the pc reboots...the blue screen message varies...sometimes IRQ problems...or then HTTP.SYS... but only after working for some hours.

i have in pci slots....Zoom ADSL pci and Skystar2 rev2.3 DVB card

Beside that i have A64 3500+ 1GB Mushkin + 1900XTX

anyone knows what this can be?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Well, I'll post my config too.

My symptoms include hard freezes at stock settings - rare, but they do happen.

I have 1xRadeon X850XT Crossfire edition
    A Netgear WT311G PCI card

Opteron 170 + 2gb Corsair XMS
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Well guys I hate to be odd man out here but I'm completely stable once again. Perhaps some of this will help.

I did a total WinXP SP2 reinstall with slipstreamed drivers including:

marvell yukon 8.49 (from the marvell website)
    uli 2.13 chipset drivers (from the uli/nvidia website)
    I also tried to install the usb driver from that files but I don't think it was successful. Afterwards Ms drivers was installed when it noticed something was missing or not right.
    Most of the ms updates and security fixes were included and I streamlined winxp fof the installation with nlite as per media mans instructions.

Once I got everything installed and configured including the soundmax drivers I then applied the ms hotfix and edited the registry. Then I installed the amd cool n'quiet drivers from amd. Basically put ...I didn't use the Asus driver cd once throughout the whole installation.

I'm still testing but I'm able to take my system stable up to 240x11@1.40v+ov and 1000ghz ht setting.

I may be able to get a little higher but this is fine for testing. If I use any of the peg settings I begin to get unstable and I have to start the overclocking process all over again to re-stablize (start from 200htt). Also moving up slowly has helped.
    RD480 dll speed set to fast taxes the cpu so I'm not using it.
    I'm using an nvidia 7800gt so this may have everything to do with the peg issues ...from what I've read.

At these setting my 3dmark scores are the same whether I use 240 htt or 242htt so I'll probably stick with 240.

The issues I've read about continually effecting me is with 1t at and over 260 htt ...I would recommend 2t for that otherwise 1t should be fine.

I have no add in cards so I guess the only advice I can give is to get the mobo stable before you add the card ...also start by clearing the cmos and work your oc 5-10htt at a time until you get near your limit then try increments of 1.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited March 2006
    My buddy has random lockups on his. (I haven't looked at it yet but I think its the bios)
  • edited March 2006
    well..i turned of legacy usb in bios and looks a little bit more stable..at list on IRQ sharing blue screens...and uninstalled Kavpersky Anti Hacker cause i read somewhere that version 1.88 or 1.80 sometimes gives http.sys errors and blue screens related to that.

Thanks

"i would like to see more ppl posting there related issues" :sad2:
  • edited March 2006
    Well...looks like more problems comming....:(

Now i cant connect to net...everytime i try to make a net or even a lan connection i got a blue screen...the onboard lan card got deactivacted and if i try to activate it i got a blue screen...something like...NON_PAGE_FAULT

now i cant connect to net even trough router...i got one borrow from a friend!

with my pci adsl card ... if i try to connect to net...same ****...blue screen...and diferent messages...like...HTTP.SYS...etc

looks like im in need of help here and im not overclocking and using last drives on everything and last bios from asus

Iim getting that feeling like "ups_wrong board" and im not gonna give up now but its despareted

thanks
    edited March 2006
    Sounds like actual hardware problems. Have you tested the ram? Made sure the heatsink was contacting the CPU properly?

Do you have a different power supply you can test out?

Also, try completely clearing the CMOS and starting "from scratch".
    edited March 2006
    A few A8R owners have gotten together and started asking for a bios update over at driversheavean. The A8R32 bios fix thread was started for this effort and was successful so now we're adding in for the A8R. So far we've been heard.
    In case you'd like to post there too hear is the link http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=100818&page=10&pp=15.

On another note ...my sound driver again was keeping me unstable with true combat elite over 2600mhz. I looked into it and discovered that I had the wrong ms high def audio driver hotfix kb835221(1.0 sp1) installed ...after I uninstalled and replaced it with kb888111(1.0a for sp2) it ran well. Next I'll see if I can install the soundmax drivers over it and see if I still have issues.

edit:\ post #138 is the one to be concerned with ...I sent a pm to Veridian3 saying the following:

Two problems I'd like to see taken care of with this board are the vcore and 1t issue. If I had to select only one it would be the vcore issue for sure. If the current vcore overvolt adds +.1 volt then and additional +.1 volt might help.
  • edited March 2006
    Well mates

after a few formats looks like i got it stable.." im affraid to say that :) "

HT on 400mhz...turn off all game port and MIDI and set USB to 1.1 only and turn off Legacy

and installed HD audio from XP SP2 not the ADI one...updated only the Marvel drives and didnt installed any of ALI drivers or anything else

didnt updated windows either

well....will see what happens next...ahhh...and im using 402 drivers

"if anyone can post the messenger nick so we can talk in real time it was nice...mine is in my user profile (email removed to avoid spam) "

Thanks

Cya
    edited March 2006
    I'm glad to hear that root ...you can experiment little by little that way you can get down to the root of the problem and know what to avoid. What htt and multiplier are you using?
  • edited March 2006
    thanks mate

HT Link Speed on 400mhz and Multiplier on Default...i will not overclocking till im sure this is stable

what u mean with htt? " sorry mate but im new to overclocking " :/
    edited March 2006
    htt is the first option under ai overclocking ...default is 200mhz.
  • edited March 2006
    well mate...about htt im using defaut one..i think its 200mhz and its been all night downloading things..doing a av scan and connected to msn..icq..and a lot of irc channels....i leave it like this on purpous and without a single crash or freeze

next step its overclocking...then i might need your help

im registering at DriverHeaven right now...loooks like a good place to go too

thanks

"it was nice if we can have a irc channel at EFnet that we can share our experiencies in real time..tell me what u think about..."

Asus A8R-MVP
    Asus 1900XTX
    AMD A64 3500+ Venice
    ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED
    1GB 2x512MB Mushkin PC3200 2-2-2 Special
    WD SATA 80GB
    WD SATA 160GB
    NEC DVD_RW ND-4570A
    TechniSat DVB-PC Skystar2 Rev.2.3
    Zoom ADSL PCI
    Samsung 19 TFT SyncMaster 913N
    Lian Li PC 65B Black
  • edited March 2006
    well mates....just a curiosity :)

If u have a Skystar 1 or 2 DVB pci card u cant use a NForce4 mobo since they cant provide the 5 volts trough pci slots..needed for the DVB card to opearate since it needs to change LNB polarity....so ....if u use Satellite receiver on your PC dont go to Nvidia chipsets as u will end up with a dead mobo...literally dead.

im having one on my A8R-MVP without any problems.

for the ppl with A8R-MVP or other willing to talk live...im gonna start a IRC Channel on EFnet #ShortMedia where we can discut these isues there.

Im gonna be always there since i have a BNC

Cya

Asus A8R-MVP
    Asus 1900XTX
    AMD A64 3500+ Venice
    ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED
    1GB 2x512MB Mushkin PC3200 2-2-2 Special
    WD SATA 80GB
    WD SATA 160GB
    NEC DVD_RW ND-4570A
    Zoom ADSL PCI
    Lian Li PC 65B Black
  • edited March 2006
    not sure if i should be posting this in this section because honestly i dont know what the problem is, but i am hearing that this mobo is pretty craptacular so heres my problem, its a little less extreme than those i have been reading about this board.

i recently built my new system.

A8R-MVP
    AMD64 X2 4200+
    Asus Ati X1900XT
    1gig Ram 3200 400
    160 SATA HD

a great little system i was thinking as i bought it.

anyway, what has me really bugged is that it seems to run slower than my old comp. (p4 2.8 - 1gig ram - 60gig hd - ati 9800)

i never really payed attention to cpu usage with my old system, but the new system will hit over 50% usage by just moving around icons on my desktop. this just seems out of the ordinary to me. if i leave the comp running overnight, the next morning its virtually un-usable. very slow and choppy. the longer i have it on, the slower it begins to run. however, im never crashing or goign to blue screen like i hear so many people are. very happy about that - very sad about my problems.

if any of this sounds familiar or even a way to fix it i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks =)

edit--- sorry didnt realize this thread existed, im a slackass ugh.
    edited March 2006
    Mohenjo wrote:
    not sure if i should be posting this in this section because honestly i dont know what the problem is, but i am hearing that this mobo is pretty craptacular so heres my problem, its a little less extreme than those i have been reading about this board.

i recently built my new system.

A8R-MVP
    AMD64 X2 4200+
    Asus Ati X1900XT
    1gig Ram 3200 400
    160 SATA HD

a great little system i was thinking as i bought it.

anyway, what has me really bugged is that it seems to run slower than my old comp. (p4 2.8 - 1gig ram - 60gig hd - ati 9800)

i never really payed attention to cpu usage with my old system, but the new system will hit over 50% usage by just moving around icons on my desktop. this just seems out of the ordinary to me. if i leave the comp running overnight, the next morning its virtually un-usable. very slow and choppy. the longer i have it on, the slower it begins to run. however, im never crashing or goign to blue screen like i hear so many people are. very happy about that - very sad about my problems.

if any of this sounds familiar or even a way to fix it i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks =)

edit--- sorry didnt realize this thread existed, im a slackass ugh.
    Did you reinstall the OS for this board since you got it? I ask because I've never heard these symptoms with this board before ...might not be the board.
  • edited March 2006
    Well mates...where we go again :)

My sistem was rock solid and stable for 2 days...day and night without a single blue screen or freeze...doing a lot of things.

Net..playing CSS...Commandos Strike Force :)

well....whatever....

and the wierst thing happen......i instaled Microsoft AntiSpyware ( the one tha looks like a target ) and after 5 minutes...BLUE SCREEN on some IRQs ****.

This i wierd...i uninstalled and back to rock solid stable...

What u guys think about this?

Cya

Asus A8R-MVP
    Asus 1900XTX
    AMD A64 3500+ Venice
    ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED
    1GB 2x512MB DDR3200 Mushkin 2-2-2 Special BH5
    WD SATA 80GB
    WD SATA 160GB
    NEC DVD_RW ND-4570A
    Zoom ADSL PCI
    Lian Li PC 65B
    Cooler Master Real Power 450W
    edited March 2006
    I think Microsoft Antispyware is a BETA product, and results are unpredictable.
  • edited March 2006
    well...looks like my system its finally stable now..runnig for 2 days without a single crash....and using a lot of things...watching HD satelite channels... playing CSS and Comandos Strike force...doing 3DMarks....using net to download some big files ( 3 - 5 GB )...using my pen drive on frontal USB......etc.

What i did:

-Bios 0402
    -Turn off on Bios a lot of things that arent needed
    -WinXP SP2
    -No SATA or USB2 drivers...since they arent needed...let windows install them
    -Let Windows install HD sound ( files are on C:\Windows\system32\Drivers...C:\Windows\system32....C:\Windows\....
    -Install the Marvel drivers from Marvel site
    -ATI Catalist 6.3
    -and no Windows Update....i use a good firewall and a good AV
    ( i know its useless to Buffer or Stack Overflows )

ROCK SOLID STABLE NOW !!! ;)
    edited March 2006
    nice! Mine seems to be stable lately too. I swear it seems as if there is a "burn in" period with these boards....
    edited March 2006
    overclocking?
  • edited March 2006
    not yet mate..but about to!

what are the best timmings and all for me?

what r u using?

where do i see if my mem its on 1T or 2T ?

tks

Asus A8R-MVP
    Asus 1900XTX
    AMD A64 3500+ Venice
    ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED
    WD SATA 80GB
    WD SATA 160GB
    NEC DVD_RW ND-4570A
    Zoom ADSL PCI
    Lian Li PC 65B
    edited March 2006
    ro0t3d wrote:
    not yet mate..but about to!

what are the best timmings and all for me?

what r u using?

where do i see if my mem its on 1T or 2T ?

tks

This board defaults at 2T so that's where you are. If you want to see for sure then run A64 Tweaker and you will see 2T Command rate = enable ...but it isn't necessary.
    To change to 1T you need to enter the bios "CPU Configuration". Go to "User Config Mode" and set it to manual ...this will allow you to change "Cmd-Addr Timing Mode" to 1T.
    Since you're running stock frequency I wouldn't hesitate to run 1T ...but if you start overclocking the mem up to around 235 I would back down to 2T. At 1T you should see a nice speed increase.

So ...
    CPU Configuration
    User Config Mode>manual
    Cmd-Addr Timing Mode>1T
  • edited March 2006
    hi again

Looks like if i change to 1T i got blue screens in windows...back to 2T and rock solid for days...maybe the memory? ( all default )

im overclocking now with mem = 186mhz + HTT-235 x 11 = 2580MHz (2.6 GHz) and HT - 400mhz.....all overvoltages OFF.

Rock Solid in Prime95 for several hours.

!!! now only that 1/2 T Bug !!!

Asus A8R-MVP
    Asus 1900XTX
    AMD A64 3500+ Venice
    ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED
    WD SATA 80GB
    WD SATA 160GB
    NEC DVD_RW ND-4570A
    Zoom ADSL PCI
    Lian Li PC 65B
    edited March 2006
    ro0t3d wrote:
    hi again

Looks like if i change to 1T i got blue screens in windows...back to 2T and rock solid for days...maybe the memory? ( all default )

im overclocking now with mem = 186mhz + HTT-235 x 11 = 2580MHz (2.6 GHz) and HT - 400mhz.....all overvoltages OFF.

Rock Solid in Prime95 for several hours.

!!! now only that 1/2 T Bug !!!

I seriously doubt it's the memory since it's such a commonly know mobo issue. You may get lucky if you relax the ram timings but idunno for sure.

Just out of curiosity do you leave the voltage set at auto?
  • edited March 2006
    well mate....i dont touch any voltages...i leave it at auto

maybe i should relax some timings

mine are set at 2-2-2-6 ( Default )

what u think are the best options to relax them?

thanks

"can u send me a pm with your msn...than we can talk in real time"

cya m8
    edited March 2006
    I think your best bet would be to ask in the mushkin forums in a new thread. Just give a brief run through of your cpu, mobo, and ram (with model number) and ask what to try. The tech there is already somewhat familiar with the mobo and its issues. He may already have the best solution.

Hopefully these issues are being worked on by Asus like the driversheaven thread leads us to believe ...so until then mushkin can surely steer you in the right direction for a workaround.

edit:// default volts sounds fine. I can't get into the mushkin forum at the moment so maybe I could suggest starting at like 2.5-3-3-8 ...I think that should be relaxed enough to try 1t until we can figure out something tighter.
    edited March 2006
    Driverheaven got a response from Asus on the A8R-MVP ...check it out.
    http://www.driverheaven.net/#news102022
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    Hmm, thats strange that this mainboard insists on 2T timings. That should really not be necessary, even with 2048MB of ram. The IMC on most 'E' revision procs should have little difficulty handling that. Hopefully they'll release a bios fix or something.
    edited March 2006
    I can't delete my post over there ...but I just found it ironic that prime would post there and then "snuffy" respond.;D
    edited March 2006
    omg I KNOW - I about flipped out when I saw that! :eek2: