Remember that 3500 Venice I had for sale???

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited April 2006 in Hardware
I sold it to Winga but he had a request before sending it. See he lives in South Africa and parts are hard to get there as well as shipping is outrageous. So he asked if I would be kind enough to help him purchase some parts for him and ship them all together to save on costs. I said yes and even offered to test them to be sure he was getting good stuff that didn't need to be RMA'd. In addition to the 3500 he got from me he also got a 1GB kit of G. Skill 4400LE from Omega then got an Asus A8N SLI Premium and EVGA 7800GT from Newegg. Today I got it put together and tested the board, CPU, memory and vid card. Then I added hooked up a CD-ROM and HD I had here to install XP so I could test all the features and be sure they all work. Then I put it through the final stage, see below. This is 100% stable @ 43C with stock HSF full load. This was without really trying and I'm sure the core voltage can come down some too. :bigggrin:

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Looks like Winga got a hell of a deal :eek2:

I love this community. Who else would do this stuff for each other? :D
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited March 2006
    Kudo's to you Larry. Looks like it will be one mean combo.:thumbsup:

Now Winga won't be able to sleep till he gets his hands on it and get it running.;D
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    :wow2: Those are impressive numbers you achieved there Larry "without really trying"
    I wish I had a rig that could do that!! Oh yes of of course I do ITS MINE and I cant wait to get my hands on it!! :clap:

That is so true of the guys at SM Prime. You are all like family and its a privelege to post here :respect:
    As for mtgoat, well he's just a rare individual. Larry you the man :respect::respect::respect:

I will post all my trials and tribulations when I put the rig together and you can look forward to some OC benchmarks. My folding numbers should improve quite nicely too :D

I can't wait :celebrate
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited March 2006
    Hmmm, I've never overclocked anything but I'm wondering if I should have a go. I have the same chip, mobo and a 7800GT. Would I see much differance?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    bothered wrote:
    Hmmm, I've never overclocked anything but I'm wondering if I should have a go. I have the same chip, mobo and a 7800GT. Would I see much differance?
    It would depend on the week and stepping of the CPU. Memory could play a part also but you could adjust for that.

BTW
    I was able to gt to 2.6 @ stock voltage and still be stable in Windows under load. :thumbup
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited March 2006
    I love this community. Who else would do this stuff for each other? :D

Yeah what you did for him was really nice mtgoat ! Some people around here really gives this place something special that we can call a 'community'. This is another exemple on how you guys can put a bolded CAPLOCKED H on the word Help. I hope winga will love his new computer :) It's a great deal for sure !

Mtgoat you really earn my respect on this one :respect::D
    edited March 2006
    I picked up the package MtGoat sent me from my local post office yesterday and have spent the better part of today putting the rig together.

I have also installed a Thermaltake Big Typhoon CPU cooler and hope to get round to some serious overclocking. It will be my first attempt so be gentle on me guys!!

I have taken a ton of pictures of the build. Will sort out the best ones and add them to the posts as I go.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Cudo's to you Mt. Very nice gesture on your part friend.
    And Congrats Winga on a nice sytem!
    This thread is one of the reasons I'm proud to be a member of SM.
    Just plain good folks here.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    Hawk wrote:
    Cudo's to you Mt. Very nice gesture on your part friend.
    And Congrats Winga on a nice sytem!
    This thread is one of the reasons I'm proud to be a member of SM.
    Just plain good folks here.
    Ain't that the truth. :cheers:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Winga, just don't drool on it too much while you build.
    We want to see how it folds!
    edited March 2006
    edcentric wrote:
    Winga, just don't drool on it too much while you build.
    We want to see how it folds!

LMAO. I should have it up and running by tomorrow evening. I will tell you by then if my drool had damaged it ;D

In the meantime I have put some pics together of the beast. I hope to have a little photo journal running here so that if I come unstuck the pro's can SEE what I'm talking about :D
    edited March 2006
    First off.... the board.
    Lets just say it brings tears to my eyes. It's not often I get to gaze upon technology of this nature in my neck of the woods.
    edited March 2006
    Seeing I am going to get a lesson in overclocking this baby I decided to treat myself to a TT Big Typhoon. As I have an aversion to bringing water anywhere near electronic components :eek2: this is the biggest and baddest alternative I could find. I have seen quite a few rave reviews on it in these forums.
    edited March 2006
    I like your heatsink! :D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    Is that a heatpipe I see on the Northbridge?

Holy Moley! :respect:
    edited March 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Is that a heatpipe I see on the Northbridge?

Holy Moley! :respect:
    And it makes the board heavier than hell!

Mike,
    You mean you still don't have it up and folding yet. :eek:

Just get on with it man! At this rate it will be old technology before you finish putting it together. :nudge:
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited March 2006

I wonder why?

+27% OC without really pushing it? Mr. Winga, y'all gotcherself a class system from a class guy to help do a class job.

'N don't be afraid to take 'er fer a spin yerself once in a while- sounds like a great rig!
    :rarr: :smokin:
    edited March 2006

Im quite sure you do Prime. Looks remarkably familiar doesn't it? :D
    Mike,
    You mean you still don't have it up and folding yet.

Just get on with it man! At this rate it will be old technology before you finish putting it together.

Alas my friend I have not got it up and running yet.

When I joined these forums I knew less than nothing about computers, although I have always had a passion for them. I have built this rig all on my own, from the knowlege I have picked up here. It boots up and reads all the hardware, so I know it's been put together properly.

I am battling with the rest of the setup (HD partitioning and formatting etc) and the loading of the OS. I may need to call a buddy in to help me :(

On the brighter side...will post some more pics of the build a bit later.
    edited March 2006
    Another short-media success story....... :thumbsup:
    edited March 2006
    I am battling with the rest of the setup (HD partitioning and formatting etc) and the loading of the OS. I may need to call a buddy in to help me
    If you are using a SATA hard drive you need to make a floppy from the CD. then at the beginning of the XP setup hit the F2 key several times and hit the S key when asked if you need to install drivers and follow the prompts. There are 2 drivers required from the floppy.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    Looks like an awesome setup Winga! Can't wait to see what the final product will be like :D
    edited March 2006
    Well before I continue with my software woes, I thought I must post more pics of my first build.
    In Prime's OC thread someone wanted a size comparison of his TT Big Typhoon, so I thought I would oblige by comparing mine to my mobile. The second pic shows how this monster towers over the 7800GT I slotted next to it and thats no small card by any means. :wow2: this heatsink is huge!!!!
    edited March 2006
    I had absolutely no problems mounting it. The instructions state that for Asus boards you must use the mounting plate that comes with the board. I had a metal plate on the back of mine. All I did was remove the stock HSF housing on the board. (The black plastic housing) by removing the two screws holding it into place and used the same screws to mount the Tt's heatsink bracket. It lined up perfectly and when tightened up gave the clip a slight convex shape which indicated it was well tensioned.
    edited March 2006
    The case I have used is a Thermaltake XaserIII Romeo. The Thermaltake heatsink looks kinda cool in it as it matches up with the rest of the fans in the case :D

The PSU is a SLi ready Antec Truepower 2.0 If theres one thing I have learned in this forum is that it is essential to invest in a decent power supply.
    edited March 2006
    Yikes! How close is that HSF to the side?
    edited April 2006
    Was wondering how this was going- haven't heard from Mike in a while. Hope it's going OK.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    That is pretty cool how the Typhoon is a color match for the other fans, and even the label on the PSU. He should have enough clearance between the case side and the top of the Typhoon's fan. That case looks to be about the same as the old Antec 1030. I'm running a Typhoon in a 1030 variant without a problem.

But as expressed above, where are you Winga? Problems?
    edited April 2006
    Hi Guys

Thanks for your concern regarding my absence :)
    I have been on vacation for the last week and have only arrived back today from the mountains.

I have been experiencing a lot of problems loading windows and as yet have not got the rig up and going. I shall attempt it again this weekend. If I have not come right in the next day or so I shall post my problems in the appropriate thread.