Short-Media Rev.2

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited October 2003 in Community
It is with great pleasure (and relief!) that Short-Media intend to launch our significantly updated new frontpage this coming Monday (Oct 6th) :)

This comes after nearly 8 weeks of testing just about every content management system out there.

The current Short-Media.com will go offline at 4PM GMT tomorrow (Sunday) but this will not affect the forums (which will be business as usual) :) There will be a short outage of the forums while some updates are applied but the expected closure time is 20 minutes maximum ;)

So whats up with the current frontpage then, why change it??

The current frontpage was done in record time (as was the rest of the site) but in doing so, was never truly what we wanted. It's difficult to add content to and it lacks a proper commenting system for external reviews and news. We wanted it to have alot more interaction but the current system just doesn't allow it. It's as limiting as it gets and we want to be able to offer more!

We also know that it is buggy and heavy on the server, which has in turn put unncessary strain on the server. Thankfully our new CMS is extremely compact and streamlined :)

So it's just a different CMS and that's all??

Well not quite ;)

The new frontpage has a full inbuilt commenting system, so readers can comment on reviews/news and external tech information.. without having to log into the forums. This means visitors can be more interactive with the page (although we would obviously encourage them to signup and post in our forums). Any news/reviews posted on the frontage are automatically posted as a thread into the forums too, so if you would prefer to carry on commenting on news in the forums... you can :) Not everyone wants to join a forum, so we give them the choice ;)

Now readers can take their pick. They can post their comments on the frontpage or they can post them in the forums thread (they are two seperate systems :). We got a great set of newsposters and we don't want to miss the latest or greatest being available :D

Downloads will also be available. Utilities, drivers.. the things you always need to have in a central location. Constantly updated and checked by the downloads team. No point doing half the job. You want them, we got them. We don't have just the right thing? Tell us and we'l make it there :)

There are a few other little tweaks, changes and functions but you can find those out when you go there on Monday :cool:

We want to thank everyone for their amazing support for Short-Media over the last few months. It hasn't always been a smooth ride. We are trying our level best to bring you the best site, best forums, best community and best home on the web.

This frontpage is certainly one step closer to it :)

This is just the start. We have alot of really cool new content coming. Written by our members, written by the staff and from really cool contributors. We got our first annual LAN in January (which is going to be a blast!) and alot more things in the pipeline. We have a kickass folding team but we need to promote it more than ever, so we shall .. Short-Media style :D

Thanks peeps :thumbsup: You guys all make this very worth it.

The Short-Media team

Cliffnotes:

1) Current page not good enough for us
2) Coded new one that rocks
3)..
4) Much improved everything

:D

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    w00t! You guys rock!
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    w00t!
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited October 2003
    Cant wait to see it, good work guys. :)

Jim
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    The switchover will be as fast as possible :) Gonna try to the minimal amount of downtime ;)

and.. after all of this.. Il have a life again :D
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited October 2003
    Shorty said
    and.. after all of this.. Il have a life again :D

lol,......yeah right!! ;)
    edited October 2003
    :bawling: oh crap.. Vbulletin 3!
    edited October 2003
    Cliffnotes added for prime ;D
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    EXXCCELLENTTT!!! Now if only will remember to work on client's box and not surf here from 12:00 EDT (US) to say 4:00 PM (system build)probably your new front page will be definitely up by then-- figure the place will be JAMMED for a few hours after update as EVERYONE looks and ponders and comments... :)

John.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I already know what my comment is.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2003
    So, I guess you might say that the new front page will be up, ah, shortly then, eh?

(sorry again :D)
    edited October 2003
    .. and so it begins :)
    edited October 2003
    Update :

All code is up and 90% worked straight out of the box. Couple of quick fixes and some forum testing had to be done.

Everything seems to be place. Now to build the content index.

It's looking good for tomorrow ;)
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited October 2003
    this r0x0r5 me
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited October 2003
    8:26 PM PST.

Articles are all uploaded. I've been walking the halls of the site before the doors are open taking one last look and for the most part...it's ready!!!

It's 4:30 AM for Shorty and he'll be up in an hour and a half. I'll let him take a walk around the corridors before the crowds start and post a bit of news. I expect that by 11 PM PST...or 7 AM GMT the front page should be there.

:)
    edited October 2003
    Yeah.. it looks pretty good to go for my end :)

News posted, last few bugs appear to have swatted.

It's there folks ;)

http://www.short-media.com

:)

Can I go sleep now? :D
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Shorty said
    ...Can I go sleep now? :D

No sleep for joo!!!!!11

:clap: Nicely done, shorty.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2003
    Sleep? Are you crazy, you get back to your desk and do some more coding buddy, we will let you get some sleep SHORTLY, haha
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I´m stunned. That page looks 1337 and then some. Congratulations and thanks guys for a brilliant piece of work. DANG!
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Go job shorty... I like it. Smooth and robust.
  • edited October 2003
    Bug?

If you double click anywhere on the (front) page, ie to select an article, it jumps to the top of the page.

IE VER:
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak
    likes it a lot.

I would change where it says "Computer Reviews, News, Help and so much more." to be centered in the bar. And the text butts up a little too close to the images. I've attached an image to show you what I see.

Other than that, it looks great. Good job, Shorty! Houston, TX Member
    edited October 2003
    likes it a lot.

I would change where it says "Computer Reviews, News, Help and so much more." to be centered in the bar. And the text butts up a little too close to the images. I've attached an image to show you what I see.

Other than that, it looks great. Good job, Shorty! :thumbsup:
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited October 2003
    MoXon said
    Bug?

If you double click anywhere on the (front) page, ie to select an article, it jumps to the top of the page.

IE VER:

I've noticed that too in other versions of IE. Blame Mr Gates cause it isn't the site.
  • astroworpastroworp Northridge, CA
    edited October 2003
    i liked how clicking on reviews (and basically everything else) would open up a new window as opposed to opening the link in the same window as short-media... can that be changed or no?
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I love it!

Very awesome.

Keep it tech.
    Keep it Short-Media.

True Dat!