Safe mode without the "safe"?

edited March 2006 in Science & Tech
Is it possible to have Windows start with all drivers loaded and running, but NOT start any apps regestered to start at boot (things like antivirus apps, etc)?

I ask because it would be handy to get a clean boot of Windows without always needing to close everything already started, sometimes just after they finished starting up.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Ah, great question. That would be so useful to have clean, Windows-only boot. That would really be good for tweaking and overclocking sessions.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited March 2006
    Run - msconfig - selective startup - remove Load startup Items
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited March 2006
    Don't forget to take everything out of the curent users startup in regedit too lots of the nasty spyware trys going in there to get around msconfig.

(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Afaik holding down shift as you log in works too.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    You could give this a try, too.
  • edited March 2006
    Taskiller got me thinking about it, but what I'm looking for is a way to get Windows to load without these programs starting in the first place.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I believe that the MSCONFIG's "Diagnostic Startup" allows only drivers to load and NO applications regardless of how they are suppose to launch (Run, startup folder, other).

attachment.php?attachmentid=19440&stc=1&d=1141924010

I've had some Firmware updates that CANNOT be launched in SAFE MODE but CANNOT be launched with other applications running.

Also... For spyware, some applications that use WinInstall has issues with SAFE MODE but you really do not want to install them in normal mode with the spyware running....