Repairable, or Microcircuitry Paperweight?

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited March 2006 in Hardware
(posted in Hardware because this really more of an electronics question than video specific)

I just knowingly purchased a damaged video card. (yes, maybe it was stupid) The seller advertised the card as damaged, and even provided the images I've thumbnailed below. The card is an Nvida Quadro FX3400 PCIe. It's nearly top of the line for professional cards, so I thought it was worth the risk. Where might I try to get this card repaired? Is it even possible? Anyone here at Short-Media do that type of thing? Anyone here know someone at another hardware forum that knows someone....:scratch:

Anyway, the seller stated the card works, but is unstable. Look at the pictures and you see a small chip that has obviously burned.

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I would guess that as long as you can identify the chip and procure one by itself, you'd be able to desolder the old one, solder on the new one, and have a stable card.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    We have a few guys here where I work that do micro-soldering and could probably do it if I had an exact piece to replace. Other than that....
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Q: Ygpm
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    If you can get an ID on the chip there's lots of electronics mfrs that do free samples of their chips (within reason). I can point you out to some that have matching parts if you can post it here.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited March 2006
    Drasnor, I may take you up on that. As it stands, I don't have the FX3400 in my possession yet. It's in shipping and will probably be several days before I have. I've another dead Quadro in my parts bin (no, not a $1500 model). Wanna bet it's got the exact chip on it that I'll need?
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Chances are pretty good if the board layout matches the parts will match too. Let me know what you find, if it's not a specialized IC (like a microcontroller) odds are we can find a replacement. Even if though, you could always take the part off the dead one...

-drasnor :fold:
    edited March 2006
    Even if though, you could always take the part off the dead one...
    Which made me think...the other card isn't dead...yet. It give a crosshatch display, like spreadsheet's grid without the data.:rant: But, that's about as good as dead.