overclocking temperatures...

pc0019pc0019 Herefordshire, UK
edited March 2006 in Hardware
hi.
Humor me, I'm new to overclocking, and obviasly dont want to damage anything. for some reason, even when I overclock to 230x15 (origonal 200x15) my cpu temperature only goes up a few degrees to 22 celcius (when I am on the desktop, only running a few background apps). I have a skt 478 P4 3.0 Ht. I was wondering if this was normal, and if perhaps the cpu thermometer or whatever takes the temperature is damaged.
Btw I am using Corecenter, the app that came with the MB for OCing (MSI 865PE Neo2-P Platinum Edition)
Thanks

Comments

• edited March 2006
    As long as you aren't raising the vcore to get that extra speed, you won't see a drastic change in temps. With that said, 22° C for cpu temp is really unrealistic for either a Northwood or Prescott P4 and they won't run at those temps except if you are using some kind of subambient cooling like phase change, peltier effect/watercooling or an evaporative water cooling solution like a bong cooler.

2 questions for you here.
    1. What model P4 are you running, a Northwood (512k L2 cache) or a Prescott (1 MB L2 cache)?
    2. What kind of cooling are you using presently? Is it the stock retail hsf, aftermarket hsf or whatever?
  • pc0019pc0019 Herefordshire, UK
    edited March 2006
    I'm running a Prescott, and using this fan: (the top one)
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Zalman_121.html with artic silver paste
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Very good choice of CPU heatsin-fan unit.

If your system is reporting only 22*C for CPU core temperature, one or both of the following apply:

1) You live in Alaska and your computer is outdoors, or
    2) Your monitoring software is kaput, or is monitoring something other than CPU

What are you using to monitor temperatures.
  • edited March 2006
    ^^^^^What he said. :D

You have a great choice for your hsf, but unless your room is around 10-15° C, your monitoring app is off quite a bit.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited March 2006
    I wouldn't agree with that.

With my 2.8c @ 3.0 (or whatever it's at - I don't even remember), I quite often idle at 22-24*C. I've got a SLK-947 with a TT SmartFan2 controlled with the thermistor resting on the side of the IHS (not right under the heatsink). It usually spins at its lowest, which is ~1400rpm. The sink is also room temperature more often than not (obviously excluding when the processor is really working hard).

It's possible.
    edited March 2006
    Well actually my room is only 12'C.. and I dont know what is measuring the CPU temperature.. I'm just using the program that came with the motherboard (CoreCenter). I guess that means its ok? Also is there a program that I can use to log the temperature of it, so I can see how hot it runs when playing games etc? Thanks
    The fans running at 1800RPM I think, tho not sure; just running Memtest-86 due to all the BSOD's I get.
    edited March 2006
    OK. 12*C ambient -> 22*C CPU core does not sound unreasonable. I've used Core Center on two different motherboards/computers and have found the voltage and temperature readings to be quite accurate.
  • edited March 2006
    pc0019 wrote:
    Well actually my room is only 12'C.. and I dont know what is measuring the CPU temperature.. I'm just using the program that came with the motherboard (CoreCenter). I guess that means its ok? Also is there a program that I can use to log the temperature of it, so I can see how hot it runs when playing games etc? Thanks
    The fans running at 1800RPM I think, tho not sure; just running Memtest-86 due to all the BSOD's I get.

Yeah, I can believe your idle temps of 22° C now, since your room is at 12° C. As for logging your temps, your mobo is old enough to work with Motherboard Monitor and you can enable logging with it. But you won't be able to run the core center monitoring software along with MBM; it is likely to create a conflict since both programs read the same sensors.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    Wow, it must be freezing in that room! As mentioned above, overclocking without increasing the CPU voltage will impact your core temperature very little. Your idle temperature may not increase at all, but I'd definitely compare your 'load' temperatures. Check out www.joinfolding.com for an easy way to load up your chip, and help cure some diseases while you are at it (and heat up your room, which likely needs some warmth :)) Alternatively, you can download Prime95 from the Short-Media download section here: http://www.short-media.com/download.php?dc=72. Simply keep an eye on your temperatures as either F@H or Prime95 runs. Prime95 will help to determine if your hardware is at fault for those BSOD failures as well. You can find some instructions on how to use Prime95 here: http://www.short-media.com/review.php?p=16&r=300

Let us know how that goes..
    edited March 2006
    Ok thx, Ill check out that program later (loads of work to do atm). The Vcore thing's thrown me a bit.. I presumed that the only danger of OC'ing was the temperature. So what is the danger of just increasing the fsb? Or is it that you also need to increase the Vcore, otherwise the computer would be error prone? (Humour me if I'm completly off the track.)
  • edited March 2006
    If you push the fsb farther than the capabilities of you processor's ability to handle the increased speed, then yes you will definitely have instability problems. A lot of times bumping the vcore up a little will help stabilize a marginally unstable overclock, but at the cost of much increased heat and power draw. That isn't necessarily a problem if you plan for this with premium cooling and a good psu though. Another point to consider about overclocking is that as you bump the fsb up, your memory speed also increases, which might require you to increase vdimm and relax timings and/or run a divider on the memory. When exceeding the rated speed of your memory, it's always a good idea to test for memory stability with Memtest86.
    edited March 2006
    Right, so is it theoretically possible to run a cpu as fast as you want? (but not, of course, because increasing the vcore will heat up the cpu too much), and how do I get a memory divider? I guess its software, but where could I get it from?
    Lemonlime, running Prime95 atm, lookin good so far. Only using up 54% cpu (and its at 34'C.. I guess thats good, but I no nothing about that type of thing) Am going to run another similar prog like prime95 to use all of my CPU.
    Random question; how much dous HT speed up your CPU (When your running two things)?
    Thanks all
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    You CPU does have a cap on the core on how fast it can possibly go. If you hit the limit I would be suprised most times they are astronomical...
    edited March 2006
    Running both prime95 and CPU Stability Test, each using 50% CPU. Temp is 36'C. Neither has found an error yet, but I've only run them for 25 minutes. Would an old HD be the cause of all the stop messages? I am currently using a realy old 6GB one, with a 4 year old 20GB secondary one. I'm gona buy a 160GB soon.
  • edited March 2006
    I guess it's possible, if the old hard drive is trying to die on you. Any hard drive that old is seriously slowing your system down anyways, due to the low transfer speeds it supports. I imagine that it is only an ATA33 drive. The 20 gigger isn't as old and is probably an ATA100 drive, but if it's on the same IDE channel as the 6 Gigger, it can only transfer data at ATA33 speeds.
    edited March 2006
    Great. Tried to update BIOS etc with Live Update 3, the program that came with the MB for doing this, and it says that it cannot connect to the internet (error code 997) I have tried switching off all firewalls, but still no good. This is all giving me a real headache.
    edited March 2006
    Does your browser work? If yes, just go directly to MSI's site, download the latest BIOS file for your motherboard, and store on your desktop or in a file. In the MSI update software, there is an option to update the BIOS from file. You just browse to the stored location of your BIOS file and update it from there, using the same MSI update software. Ensure that you have all programs turned off when you do this.
    edited March 2006
    We are going to help PC0019 with his computer problems one problem, one thread at a time, then we can open this thread later.

Please go here to help PC0019
This discussion has been closed.