cannot create drive(s) on sataII raid setup

edited March 2006 in Hardware
ok, I have two Maxtor 250gig sataII hard drives and I am trying to run them in raid. when I get to the point where I am trying to install window to a drive it wont install because I cannot make any sort of partition whatsoever it just says I have 478734 MB of unpartitioned space. If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated. thanks

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    During the Windows install, did you press F6 to install your board's RAID drivers? Also, what motherboard is it? What RAID controller? What RAID type? 0? 1? Other?

If you did install the RAID drivers, does Windows give you an option to create a new partition?
  • edited March 2006
    yes I did the F6 installed both drivers (nvidea 64bit sata raid drivers) my mother board is a A8N32-SLI DELUXE raid type 0 (striping) and yes windows gives me the option to create the partition it just simply wont allow me to do so.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited March 2006
    i bet you have to set the raid up in the NVRaid bios. make sure that the NVRaid is enabled in the bios, and you should have an option when its booting to configure the NVRaid, i dont think that XP has the ability to create a raid at the bios level.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited March 2006
    doesnt that mobo have both nvraid and silicon image raid? are the right drivers being loaded?
  • edited March 2006
    Armo wrote:
    i bet you have to set the raid up in the NVRaid bios. make sure that the NVRaid is enabled in the bios, and you should have an option when its booting to configure the NVRaid, i dont think that XP has the ability to create a raid at the bios level.

yes raid is setup in the bios I walked through the raid setup as indicated by my motherboard manual, and did all the raid config required. but I am not sure I understand what you mean by xp not having the ability create raid at that bios lvl?? my current bios is ver 1009.

R.E do I have the correct drivers?
    again insofar as I know I do. I am using the drivers supplied by my motherboard cd software (nvidea 64bit sata raid drivers) If anyone knows if these drivers are not compatible and knows where I can download newer (more updated) drivers please let me know.

One other note/question. I have heard from an online friend that the latest bios ver is 1103 wondering if I should get and update the bios to the latest version or if I am risking damaging my p.c. someone please get back to me. thanks again all
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited March 2006
    updating the bios is always a good idea.

what i ment is that, XP cant create the array in the bios like you have to do initially.

i noticed you said you are using the nvidia 64 bit drivers, are you installing XP-64 bit edition? that might be your problem, or are all AMD64 boards comming with the 64bit drivers. id check the website to see if there are 32 bit drivers