Options

New mobo wont start PC

edited March 2006 in Hardware
my bros mobo suddenly died and I jus received the new asus K8N. He has a
amd 64 2800+
512 ram
rosewell 500wpsu
Deskstar HDD

I plugged everything onto the mobo and it just does the same thing that the PC i just built did. Iwould just turn on and shut off right away. Ahh what is up wht that?

Comments

• edited March 2006
    Alright i plugged in that extra 4 pin power to the board and it booted fine. But I put in a different hsf after i booted with the original one. the second hsf i had to twist the power wire back b/c i was using it for some other part. its a Valcano 12.

when I powered up a spark/small flame blew on the board. whenever i turn it on it glows and it will say CPU FAN Error or Failure. pRessy F1 to continue.

I guess I shouldnt use that HSF??
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    the second hsf i had to twist the power wire back b/c i was using it for some other part
    Please backup, and try again. I don't understand that at all. Are you saying the power lead for the heatsink's fan was spliced onto another device?
  • edited March 2006
    cut it off, the red and black. then had to twist the black and white back together.

I had the fam at MAX when i started up the PC. an Instant jolt of power caused it?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    aznherb36 wrote:
    when I powered up a spark/small flame blew on the board. whenever i turn it on it glows and it will say CPU FAN Error or Failure. pRessy F1 to continue.

Yikes, that does not sound good at all. Im still confused about what you did with the wiring. If there is flame or sparks, then there is a SERIOUS problem that needs to be addressed. I'd strongly recommend ditching that HSF if the wiring job caused that.

What exactly is glowing on the board??
  • edited March 2006
    Im guessing it did.

I have to do a RMA from Asus i guess since it wont let me make one. says it is under Asus warranty. I bought the same exact mobo from them and i did a RMA from NEwegg before, why did they change

EDIT

put the regular one back in and there was not glow and no CPU FAN error message. but some reason the resolution went from 1024 to 800
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    aznherb36 wrote:
    Im guessing it did.

I have to do a RMA from Asus i guess since it wont let me make one. says it is under Asus warranty. I bought the same exact mobo from them and i did a RMA from NEwegg before, why did they change

EDIT

put the regular one back in and there was not glow and no CPU FAN error message. but some reason the resolution went from 1024 to 800

Good luck with your RMA. Please remember that glowing hardware = fire hazzard. I'd definitely recommend against splicing or doing any custom wiring. There are lots of fan adapters avaliable from online retailers, so take a look at something like that rather than cutting/splicing in the future :thumbsup:
  • edited March 2006
    It was same the same wires, I cut if then put it back together the same way.

My bro's using the PC right now with the stock hsf. there was no more glow. See how it goes