healthy Dell Inspiron 8200 shows no signs of life

edited September 2008 in Hardware
My dell inspiron 8200 laptop will not turn on. No lights, no noises, and ac adapter has green light indicating its sending power. Everything was running fine the night before. I shut it down normally before I went to bed and when I pressed the power button the next morning ...nothing. (there was no t-storm or surge during the night)

The only indication of any problems occured about a month ago. After turning it off, it didn't want to turn back on. (Although the lights would come on for a few seconds and go off) I unplugged the adapter from the comp and it would then power up off the battery. I plugged it back in and continued using it. This occured about 5 or 6 times.

Now, I pulled the battery out and checked the charge. It indicates full power. The prongs on the plug and comp are fine. I tried starting it off just the battery and just the power cord. This laptop has not been dropped. It has not been connected to the internet in over a year and no new programs have been installed. I don't think I have a virus.

Here are my questions:

1. Does this sound like my motherboard failed? I thought if something was fried, it would happen suddenly.
2. It is a possibility that just the button is broken?
3. Does anybody have any advice for me? This was a very expensive computer 3 years ago, and I'd rather not just throw it away.
4. If I had to trash it, is there a way to get the data off the hard drive?

Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    It does sound like a motherboard has died. Your data should be intact on the hard drive. You can hook it up to a 2.5" format external drive enclosure and copy the data over to another computer.

If you have hardware skills, or are willing to try, download your computer's service manual (do an internet search "Inspiron 8200 + service manual") and take the computer apart. Look for any loose connectors. Reassemble and see if it starts. Due to the compact design of laptops, there really aren't that many cables or connectors that can come lose. But it just might be. I sure hope so. You could also see if a friend has the same power supply, or one with the same voltage,wattage,amperage rating and try that.

If it does turn out to be a bad motherboard, you might try eBay for a replacement. Dell will probably rake you over the coals for new board. If you find one on Ebay, ensure the vendor offers a guarantee against "Dead on Arrival" (DOA). There are a lot of clueless vendors on eBay.
    2. It is a possibility that just the button is broken?
    That is a possiblitiy, but it probably wouldn't "click" properly when you depress it.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Is the front power button green or orange? Also, when you try to turn on the PC, look at the back of the system and there will be 4 indicator lights, marked A,B,C,D... are all of them green?

attachment.php?attachmentid=19512&stc=1&d=1142463227
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    oops... I miss read the post. I thought it was a Dimension 8200.... sorry.
  • timktimk Norwich, UK
    edited April 2006
    Did you resolve your problem?

I had a similar problem when solder pads fractured on the power connector on the motherboard. Typically this sometimes prevented the laptop from charging the battery. Solved it by resoldering the connector (had to totally dismantle).
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Just saw this post :)

If you haven't trashed it and want to fix it. Check out these guys.

http://www.parts-people.com/

They sell used Dell laptop parts and have heard many good things with them. Prices are pretty good too.
  • edited April 2006
    Hey, I appreciate the parts people suggestion. They charge $30 to diagnose the problem. It can't hurt to give it a try.
  • edited September 2008
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. After having saved my ex mother-in-law's Dell 8200 from oblivion earlier this year (an overheating problem due to, amongst other things, a bad battery), she called me up last week to describe this same problem. I thought, that's it, new laptop time, but decided to nevertheless give it one last shot. Fortunately, I found your email quickly, spent maybe one hour undoing the computer after downloading the manual from Dell -- found a cable that was a bit loose near the video graphics board -- and SUCCESS! The beast has used up two of its nine lives! Thank you.

Miguel
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Glad we could help :)