good/ cheap wirless router?

TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
edited March 2006 in Hardware
Ok, well ive always wanted a wireless router but didnt know much about them. Then i got my psp and ive wanted to use the internet on it for some time (but i need to connect to a wireless router, and i currently have a WIRED linksys router). so im thinking about buying one.

but i went to the store the other day and the cheaper wirless routers were $80+ not including the card or whatever its called that you need to connect to your computer (i dont know much about wireless routers).

And i dont need an expensive one, i need one that can hold up to 3 maybe 4 ports (not including the main internet-in port).

can anyone help me, and tell me how cheap i can get a router like this? and maybe which router/brand? (and i dont really like ordering of the internet)

thanks alot in advance :)

Comments

• TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    also like i said i dont know much about wireless routers and stuff but is it possible to hook up a linksys "wireless-g access point" http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1126536803676&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper
    instead of buying a wireless router?
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited March 2006
    Hi Trum,

I've been using this Linksys for almost a year. It is phenominally fast, and stable. I have "EXCELLENT" signal throughout my 1000sq/ft Townhome.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124136
    edited March 2006
    thats a pretty good price, i dont know much about wireless routers though, do u still need one of those cards?
  • edited March 2006
    are you planning on connecting your computer wirelessly to the router or will you have a cable running to it?

bikerboy
    edited March 2006
    probably cables, cuz we only have one computer, and all im trying to do is make a wireless acces point for my psp
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited March 2006
    Wrt54g series.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited March 2006
    GrayFox wrote:
    Wrt54g series.

very nice router, but for some reason mine died on me after about a year. I called linksys and they replaced it for free, and it only took about a week after i called them to send me the new router.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited March 2006
    I have a Linksys 54g wireless router with two PCs wired in and another PC on wireless upstairs. We also have a PS2 connected wirelessly through a Linksys wireless gaming adapter (WGA) The WGA works downstairs, where the router is, but won't work upstairs although the PC does, I think there may be too many walls between theWGA and router.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    I'll second.. err.. fifth now? the WRT54G.. great wireless router for the price. Now that Cisco has bought Linksys, their quality seems to be getting better and better..
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Make that six. Xbox on first floor, computer on second with the WRT54G, and three computers on third floor, all wireless through the WRT54G. No problems.
    edited March 2006
    awsome thats exactly what i need.................... myabe this is a dumb question but is that router sorta popular, and in stores? because every time i go to a store i only see like 6 different wireless routers :-/ ,

anyways if i get that, its still possible to hook the computer and internet up to it with cords right? and if i do that it should creat a wireless acces point that i can connect to with my psp right?

thanks alot :bigggrin:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    Yep, thats a pretty popular one.. shouldn't be hard to find. It has four 10/100 ethernet ports on it, so you can connect your PCs via 'wired' as well.
    edited March 2006
    alright, thats good because i dont have the money for a card right now.............................

thanks alot everyone :D :smiles:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Starting tonight (Friday, 17 Mar) CompUSA is having a huge Netgear sale. I've never used Netgear, so can't comment on its quality, though. Maybe someone else here has experience with that brand.

In answer to your questions:

yes - most wireless routers have ethernet ports - four port wireless is four ports for wireless and another four for ethernet - total 8

yes - you can connect via wireless your game device with a wireless router, assuming your device has the wireless adaptor/or built-in

My son runs his XBox online through our wireless router.
    edited March 2006
    yea the psp scans for a wireless access point, and a couple of my freinds use their wireless router with it.