ok so im having some problems with my main rig. here are the details of it

AMD 3200+
Gigabyte K8VNXP mobo
512 ram
cd-burner
wireless network adapter
new hard drive
Antec tru-power 330

ok so i am just doin normal things like IE, AIM,folding and thats about it when all of the sudden my mouse stops moving.
then the screen goes black like it went on stand-by but it wont come out. happens at random times too.

Any ideas as to what might be wrong?

bikerboy

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    Try disabling any screensaver you may have running and check your Power Management settings. If you're not using Hibernation, disable that, too.
  • edited March 2006
    no screen saver and hibernation is not enabled. everything in the power management settings is set to never turn off.

bikerboy
    edited March 2006
    What do your temperatures and voltages look like?
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited March 2006
    Heat maybe? What vid card do you have installed?
  • edited March 2006
    temps for CPU
    39C/102F

voltages
    Vcore-1.480-1.500
    +3.3-3.230-
    +12-12.09

bikerboy
  • edited March 2006
    video card is a Saphire ATI Radeon 9600xt 128mb pimped out with Chrome fans and heatsinks that i bought off Gnome awhile back(:edit:8/8/05)
    i have a 120MM PCI fan right under it and it has its own

bikerboy
  • edited March 2006
    running memtest to see if it somes up with anything.

bikerboy
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    bought off Gnome
    Aha! There's your problem.

just joking
  • edited March 2006
    ;D;D;D

bikerboy
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited March 2006
    sounds like a power problem, ive seen this happen if you dont have the auxiliry power plugged into your video card, and possibly the auxiliry on the mobo

but it sounds like a power peoblem to me
  • edited March 2006
    ive plugged the auxiliry on the mobo. i took out the card and didnt find a place to plug a auxiliry power into my video card.
    im probably gonna pick up a power suply tomorrow. hopefully this will solve the problem.

bikerboy
  • edited March 2006
    just curious as to how much watts i should get for my power supply. im going to be adding a dvd drive and a few more hard drives eventually. getting an antec trupower.

bikerboy
  • edited March 2006
    well i got a 480 watt antec psu. the problem still exists. so ive concluded that it is the video card. i am just wondering if this is a heat problem or if my card is bad.

bikerboy
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited March 2006
    Take the side off the case, and give the card a good cleaning. Try leaving the side off the case and see if it happens. Have you tried uninstalling/re-installing the vid drivers? Is your rig @ stock speeds?
    edited March 2006
    If it were only a heat problem, you'd only experience the symptoms when the card is hot. Try the troubleshooting in the above post. That shoud answer at least one question definitively.
  • edited March 2006
    i will try what donut suggested. my computer is at stock speeds at runs at full load 36C. i have noticed that it only happens when i am using the internet,either for downloading or browsing the web. never while im gaming or watching a movie.

bikerboy
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited March 2006
    I didn't think it was heat, but it's ruled out anyway. Have you changed any drivers/other software lately? Is it just when your connected to the internet? Could be time for the SVT team. Hey, it's a thought.
    edited March 2006
    Failure to project video is most certainly a hardware problem, not software or infested software.
  • edited March 2006
    yeah it only happens while im using the internet. not necessarily having IE open but on IM or downloading something. i have run ad-aware, spybot, avast, norton, and AVG. all have come up with nothing. im thinking it might be my wireless card. i couldnt find the disk for it so i downloaded the drivers off the web.

bikerboy
    edited March 2006
    I'm assuming you had no errors at all in Memtest?

Can you find a different Network driver to try, even an older one? Do the same for the video driver.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited March 2006
    there's your problem right there...using IE.

firefox is your friend.
  • edited March 2006
    have ran memtest and found no errors. ill run it while im at school all day just to be sure. ill rollback my drivers when i get home this afternoon.
    Ryko- I dont always have IE open when it happens. but i do need to get firefox downloaded soon.

bikerboy
  • edited March 2006
    ive concluded that it was my wireless internet card. i changed the frequency from 33-35 and it seems to have solved the issue. thanks for all the help guys.

bikerboy
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    What was the frequency of your PCI bus set at?
  • edited March 2006
    was set at 33. i changed it to 35.

bikerboy