\windows\system32\config\system

edited March 2006 in Hardware
When I try starting up my laptop, it sits for about 5 minutes then pops up the following error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system

I did a Google search for this error and ended up in a thread on this site that directed me to start my computer up using a Windows XP CD, then act as though I’m installing a Windows XP, but once it detects a previous installation of XP to run the repair option.

My problem is that I cannot run the repair option because it doesn’t identify the partition as a windows XP partition, just as a partition that exists.

I’ve also found several other site that tell me to run the recovery console and replace the Hives myself but when ever I get into my installation of windows XP all of the commands I do aren’t valid. For example, when I type in cd system32/config I get a message that says “The path or file specifies is not valid.” And since it does this with every command I enter I can’t manually repair the files.

I’m frustrated, Tex, the person who was helping the creator of the tread I found on this site, mentioned that if the partition wasn’t showing up as a windows XP partition that he’d be able to walk the person through it. However, that thread was back from 2004 so I’m posting a new thread hoping someone will know what to do.

Thank you.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Sounds liek a hard drive problem. What kind of laptop do you have, and who is the manufacturer of the hard drive? I want you to run a hard drive test from the manufacturer.
  • edited March 2006
    It's a Sony Vaio and the hard drive is made by Fujitsu. I went to the Fujitsu website, and checked out their hard drive software but I'm not sure that it'll run at start up.
  • edited March 2006
    I burnt the Fujitsu hard drive checking software to a cd and it said the following:

SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0: Fujitsu MHM2100AT - (PM)

WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace
    your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

Press F1 to continue.

I don't think I need much more help to figure out what is wrong. ;(
    edited March 2006
    Sorry it sounds pretty bleak :(

Welcome to short-media in any case. Please stick around!
  • edited March 2006
    Thank you.

Anyhow, I really don't care that much about the laptop, I care more about some pictures I just put on it from a trip.

I'm wanting to get those off the computer pretty bad, right now I'm burning a Linux Live CD so that I might be able to access the files through linux, and if that doesn't work I'm going to find a way to hook up the laptop harddrive as a slave in my main machine.

Any other perhaps better suggestion of how to get these files?
    edited March 2006
    I usually use a small USB to 2.5" IDE adapter, and I also have a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter. If the drive is not COMPLETELY dead, you can usually get some files off.

Make SURE to IMMEDIATELY grab the most important ones you need, and then the rest, because there's no telling when the drive will die for good.
  • edited March 2006
    I was able to get my files using the Knoppix Linux Live Cd. I've never used one before, it worked pretty slick after setting the permissions properly on the flash drive.

Thanks again. :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Ah, good! Thanks for letting us know how you mitigated the problem. Stick around. We're always happy for new members. :)