Dell PSU problems

edited March 2006 in Hardware
Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me out here.

I have a Dell Dimension 5000 with a 305Watt PSU.
Id like to upgrade the PSU but ther are a few things bothering me.

A) i heard that Dell PSU's are proprietry and that if i change it my pc gets fried.
B) I then heard that was only between 1998-2002
C) Then i hear the Dell PSU's are underrated and the 305Watt could actually be 400watt

I was wondering if anyone could prove or disprove these statements but also answer if my Model of Dell can take a regular PSU. Its BTX compliant if that Helps any.

Any help at alll would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited March 2006
    Why are you needing to upgrade the psu? And yes, you must use a dell PSU in your system!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    As Nightwolf said, a Dell 'compatible' PSU is required. I've worked on some fairly modern Optiplex GX270s here at work, and they all have propriatary PSUs. These machines are less than one year old, so I don't think that 98-2002 rule is correct.

Why exactly are you looking to upgrade? having any problems?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Do an Internet search for "Dell PSU + adapter". Seems as though I read somewhere about an adapter being availalbe for Dell users, so they could upgrade with real PSUs, without being taken to the bank by Dell.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited March 2006
    here you go....

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/dellconverter.html

also, some dell psus are proprietary while others are not. best to check the connections and see if they look standard or not. you can use the adapter pic as a guide. also could use a multimeter to check.

usually newer dell home systems (dimension) use a standard psu, while their small business (optiplex) ones seem to be proprietary.

good luck!

EDIT:// from the link above

Known exceptions:

Pentium 4 Dell Models that do not require a power supply adapter:
    Dell Dimension 4300, 4400, 4700, 8200, 8300, OptiPlex GX 400

Pentium 4 Dell Models that are not compatible with this power supply adapter:
    Dell Dimension 8100

Notes: If you are unsure if your Dell requires one of our Dell Power Supply Adapters, please take a close look at the Dell motherboard pictured at the top of this page and see if your motherboard has the extra connector pictured on the left. Also Some Dell machines chassis may need to have material removed to make room for a standard power supplies ON/OFF switch.
  • edited March 2006
    Well i think i can run a standard one. Im upgrading so i can use a 7900GT in my system.

I did some checks on the adapter all of it seems for a 20 pin ATX power supply. Ever convertor is for 20 pin. Found a site that has a wire diagram for regular ATX and proprietry and again tis 20 pin. My system is 24 pin and i dont have the extra connector that the proprietry systems do. Basically it alll seems to be fine and i hope thats the case as i ordered a new PSU today:eek3:
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited March 2006
    MAso wrote:
    Well i think i can run a standard one.
    WAIT WAIT WAIT, are you planning on hooking up a regular psu without an adapter?
  • edited March 2006
    Yes. After checking out the motherboard connectors and the PSU i came to the conclusion that i do not need one of the Adapters.
    A) The adapters wont fit my PSU(THe adapters only take 20 pin mine is 24)
    B) I don't have the proprietry connector required on the motherboard therefore i shouldnt need the adapter.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited March 2006
    he should be fine...read the rest of his post. it seems to be a standard 24pin atx 2.0 psu.

you can always call dell support to verify.
  • edited March 2006
    Called Dell support the best they could give me is they dont advise me to change the PSU because it voids warranty and they havent tested it. My warranty ran out 5 days ago so bleh to them. Its only because they dont want to be Liable for anything that goes wrong.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited March 2006
    they are obviosly going to tell you not to do it, but you can ask them for a psu wiring diagram.

or you can post a pic of the 24pin atx cable from your current psu and your dell mobo...one of us here should be able to tell just by looking at it.
  • edited March 2006
    Well to that advice ill have two pics up tomorrow one of the Mobo and one of the Cable.

Edit i found this on the Dell site http://img.dell.com/images/global/products/dimen/3100_chassis_open_314.jpg
    I dont think its large enough to help but ill look for a larger image and if i cant find one ill take some pictures.
  • edited March 2006
    well i took the plunge and plugged in my Tagan...It works perfectly. My pc is cooler and quieter. Fantastic. Though in honesty i was ready to cry if this thing exploded.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    MAso wrote:
    well i took the plunge and plugged in my Tagan...It works perfectly. My pc is cooler and quieter. Fantastic. Though in honesty i was ready to cry if this thing exploded.

Haha, glad to hear it worked out for you MAso! be sure to let us know how you like your new video card :thumbsup: