Snippet: Microsoft Origami

deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
edited April 2006 in Hardware
I'm sure most of you have already seen this, but it fits perfectly with the theme here in Convergence land so I thought I'd do a quick post about it. Origami is microsofts codeword for its new Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC) platform, consisting of a handheld device running Windows XP tablet edition. Input will be via a 7" (minimum) touchscreen capable of displaying resolutions of 800*480 (and upwards) Microsoft seems to be aiming this platform squarely at the convergence market, touting it as a mobile media device above all else. Personally I think it's going to be a bit bulky for prolonged mobile use, but it would make an excellent media centre remote control device. Microsoft isn't actually going to be manufacturing these devices, they just specify some important specs for it and let other manufacturers actually build them. So far ASUS and Samsung have both demonstrated models.

Microsoft origami site

Comments

• edited March 2006
    When UMPC goes the way of flexible OLED screens (e.g. TekWar, Earth: Final Conflict), then I'll be all over it. Until then, meh.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited March 2006
    Wired wrote:
    When UMPC goes the way of flexible OLED screens (e.g. TekWar, Earth: Final Conflict), then I'll be all over it. Until then, meh.

Yeah, a lot of 'convergence' type devices are suffering from lacklustre screen technology. It seems the backend technology (ie: processors, connectivity) has advanced much faster than the screens have. There's quite a few promising technologies on the horizon though, I'll try and post a thread about some of the most promising as soon as I get chance.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited April 2006
    A little update on Microsofts Ultra Mobile PC specification. The team working on this for microsoft has its own website, with links to reviews and a forum area. There's also a good faq, with lots of info about the whole ultra mobile PC thing:

Origami project

FAQ