Ups

entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
edited March 2006 in Hardware
I've been running my computer and stereos either directly through the wall or through a splitter thing for years, and haven't had a problem. It has to be only a matter of time before something goes wrong, though.

What I'm looking for is a high-quality UPS, but not necessarily one that needs to keep power for long. Cheap is good, but so is reliability. I mean, if the power gets goofy (and for the record, the wiring in this house isn't so great), I want this thing to BE there, and if possible, send a signal to shut down my computer. I don't need to be screwing around on here if it ever goes out. Actually, my biggest concern is a power surge strong enough that would destroy the built-in trips on the power strip.

I'd be connecting:
Tower
Monitor
Z-5500 speakers
MX1000 mouse charger thing
Scanner and printer (if possible)

Any suggestions?

While I'm here, does anyone have an excellent external drive cage that they know of?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Without having to go professional (and to pay a professional price) I highly recommend APC. Supposedly Triplite is better, but you pay for it unless you can find a deal on Ebay. Look around for deals at retailers and online. UPS's have become mainstream and are not as relatively expensive as they used to be.

Don't count on the voltage trips in your power strips to protect your equipment. Power strips are designed to stop extremely high voltage spikes, but will not stop merely high spikes. Power strips also provide no protection against undervoltage.