ATA 100 and ATA 133

KometeKomete Member
edited March 2006 in Hardware
Hi all, I'm upgrading a friends PC and It's an older system that uses ATA 100 Hardrives. Now I need to order a new hardrive but I was thinking I can order an ata133 one right? It will just work at ATA 100 speed.. I'm pretty sure just been years since I've used anything besides 133 and really all my stuff for the past 2 years I think have been Sata.

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Yes, ATA133 drive is backward compatible with ATA100.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Yes it will work but.......

I am a much bigger fan of Seagate drives than Maxtor. I can't remember ever loosing data to a Seagate that died of mysterious causes. They also have 5yr warranties as opposed to 3yrs. And if that's not enough, guess who not so long ago bought Maxtor??? ;)
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2006
    I hear ya MTgoat. I've been partial to WD but it's because of the raptors i've been useing. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for Seagate hardrive deals.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    The only drives I've ever had to RMA have been Maxtors. SM4 is running a 1.6GB Western Digital that has to be at least 10 years old by now. It's still humming along. My WDs have never given me issues.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I have a pair of Maxtors that have been running pretty much 24/7 since 1998, for what it's worth. Every brand has a grain of salt. ;)