Best external HD <= 80 gig ?

GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
edited March 2006 in Hardware
I would like to have a second HD as backup storage device. I don't think i will have to store more than 40 gig on it but if there's more it's not a bad thing. More than 80 gig would be overkilled for my needs.

I am thinking about buying an external HD for this purpose, as it can easily go from computer to computer. I would like to have one with a protection case. I've seen some good external HD but most of them needs 2 USB plug to work... I don't find this very usefull cuz most of the >2-3 years old computer wont have more than 2 usb plug.

Maybe some of you have an external HD at home so im coming here for your knowledge :D

Do you have any suggestion ? If i don't find one usefull enough at a good price (< 150 CND) i'll only buy an additional internal HD as it can also be moved from computer to computer, but its less userfriendly :p

Comments

• rykoryko new york
    edited March 2006
    i know you are in canada so newegg isn't going to work, but i would get something like this...seperate EE and seperate HDD--it will save you money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145342

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144392

i have this exact combo (in silver) and it has been great. i would get as much space that you can afford---before you know it that 80gb will be gone!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I have one of those bytecc enclosures. I wouldn't recommend it for an HDD. It's just so darn big. I'd go with a 3.5" enclosure, even though they're more expensive, for an HDD. Either that, or use a laptop HDD with a 2.5" enclosure - those only need the USB cable for power.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited March 2006
    most 3.5" or smaller don't have a fan, i like the 5.25" because of the 40mm in the back and you can easily add another 1-3 up front.

i had a 3.5" usb2.0 that killed an 80gb maxtor in less than a year b/c of lack of ventilation.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    That's a good point, ryko, I didn't even think of the higher cooling demands of the 3.5" drives. The bytecc could really use an intake fan on the front if you go that route. Personally, I much prefer using the laptop HDD/2.5" enclosure route, because it fits in a shirt pocket. The 4200RPM notebook drives don't get very hot, either - an all aluminum enclosure can cool them comfortably.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited March 2006
    yep, i like the 2.5" aluminum for laptop hdds too. i have a cheapo coolmax (cheapest on newegg at the time) and it has worked great for me for a long time. especially if you have some older laptop hdds you can salvage....the aluminum makes up for no fan, but it is more cost efficient to go with a 3.5" hdd instead of a 2.5"--more storage for the price. 80gb 2.5" = 250gb 3.5".
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited March 2006
    Well i think i'll go with a 3.5IN and a 200gig HD. I've found a great enclosure wich seems to work very well too.

http://search.ncix.com/displayproductdetail.php?sku=14426&vpn=NST-360U2&manufacture=VANTEC

This with a SEAGATES 200gig and i think it will do my backup jobs very well :thumbsup:

Thankx for the clues, at first i was looking for a 'all-in-one' kit (enclosure + HD) but it seems that its better to chose the enclosure you want + the HD you want. even if it cost a little more at the end ;)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    seperate EE and seperate HDD

Yes, that is the way to go for saving money. Some of the external HDDs come with software that automatically performs incremental or full backups at the push of a button. That would be convenient if you need to back up data daily. But apart from that, chose the enclosure you want and the hard drive you want separately.

Factors to consider:

What drive format do you want: IDE SATA, IDE PATA?
    Enclosure cooling properties: you definitely don't need a fan if you get a good enclosure. And it need not be expensive.
    Connections: USB 2.0, Firewire? Both? SATA?

I've added a link to the enclosure I use. It's very simple construction, requiring no tools (thumb screws). The design is simple with an aluminum plate on each side. It's USB 2 and Firewire. Employed in the vertical position, hard drive cooling is excellent. That enclosre can be found under several brand names.

LINK
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited March 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Yes, that is the way to go for saving money. Some of the external HDDs come with software that automatically performs incremental or full backups at the push of a button. That would be convenient if you need to back up data daily. But apart from that, chose the enclosure you want and the hard drive you want separately.

Factors to consider:

What drive format do you want: IDE SATA, IDE PATA?
    Enclosure cooling properties: you definitely don't need a fan if you get a good enclosure. And it need not be expensive.
    Connections: USB 2.0, Firewire? Both? SATA?

I've added a link to the enclosure I use. It's very simple construction, requiring no tools (thumb screws). The design is simple with an aluminum plate on each side. It's USB 2 and Firewire. Employed in the vertical position, hard drive cooling is excellent. That enclosre can be found under several brand names.

LINK

I did not found any enclosure that look like this on you linked, well not on NCIX.com (im in canada so thats almost the only website i use, why newegg.ca is still not online ??? :(
    )

I want a USB 2.0 (Firewire would be a +...) that support SATA. I've found a newer model of the Vantec enclosure here. It looks pretty COOL and seems to recieve very good reviews. Its a bit pricy but i can deal with it just for the look hah :p
    ncix wrote:
    Aluminum Casing Cools Down Your Hard Drive
    Transfer Rates Up to 3Gbps W/ eSATA
    Transfer Rates Up to 480Mbps W/ Usb 2.0 (12Mbps W/ USB1.1)
    Easily Add Storage to Any System With SATA or USB
    Hot-Swappable: Plug And Play Without Rebooting
    Attractive Blue LED Indicates Power/HDD Activity
    Supports Up to 400GB Hard Drives

What do you think about it ? If you can find me another good enclosure with a band name i could search on candian website im choice is not a final choice for now ;)
    edited March 2006
    GooD, that is not the only enclosure that's good, it's just and example of one that's inexpensive and cools very well. Sorry, but I've no idea about hardware sources in Canada. Check out the Deal Depot & Trading Post. There's a sticky thread about hardware sources in Canada.
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited March 2006
    Why is everyone hung up on USB connectivity? Most of us have a router, and hence a network, right? So why not something simple like this:

http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?affid=303&item=G27013

This way, all of your computers can easily use it and there's no hassles with USB connectivity or cableing. You can even get to it through a wireless access point!! And, it can also act as a print server as it has a USB port on it that can be hooked up to a printer so that any computer on the network has access to it too! There are really too many features to list that make it a much better solution for external storage than a simple drive in an enclosure hooked up by USB.

Just my opinion!

Flint
    edited March 2006
    So why not something simple like this
    Because that costs three times as much as I have for the same volume of external storage. I think you are comparing apples to oranges. I don't need a device for sharing files throughout my home wire LAN, neither do I need the print sharing options of that device. I simply select folders in the various computers that are to be shared and link the printer through one of the computers.

Don't get me wrong. The device you linked is really nice, but is a bit more sophisticated (and costly) than many of us need.