Talk me out of buying this motherboard!!!

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited March 2006 in Hardware
For over a year, I've been feeling compelled to get an Asus A7M266-D motherboard from eBay (Dual Athlon CPU board) and build it into another computer system. I already have a pair of Athlon MP1600 processors. Then comes 1-2 GB of registered ecc ddr ram, case, power supply, etc.

These A7M266-D motherboards always sell for at least $100 and usually more despite being about 3-4 years old already. And from the reviews I've read, they (and the few other dual Athlon motherboards out there) can't even overclock very much.

I know I can get better single CPU motherboards cheaper, but they're mostly 64 bit, and I'm not paying huge prices for 64 bit CPUs now. I'll wait a couple years until they get cheaper.

I used to have a BP6 with dual 533 Celerons @ 600 but I sold it, and then I had a VP6 with twin P3 1000's and sold it too.

If I get ANY 64 bit setup, I'd probably look at dual CPU setups there also.

And from what I read, there's not much that dual CPU systems can do better than a single CPU setup. I wonder how that applies to digital video encoding in Windows Movie Maker.

So you'd think it'd be easy to convince myself not to get one of these, right? Wrong.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Tim, save your money. Even if you already have two 1600s, why purchase more parts for obsolete CPUs? Save your money for a current AMD or Intel dual core setup. You can get an Intel D805 (2 X 2.66Ghz) for under $150. I would imagine AMD prices will soon be reasonable as well. Sure, if you could get that board for $30 shipped, then yes, have some fun. Frankly though, I don't think the performance would justify the expenditure.
  • edited March 2006
    That ecc regestered RAM won't be cheap either.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    I had a Tyan Tiger MPX with a pair of Palmino MP1800's. That thing was like a furnace, and was not a fast machine to say the least.. I'd say: sell the pair of chips you have (should be a decent sized market for those on ebay).. pick up a really cheap dual-core system.

Even the Intel Pentium D 805 will outperform that system (its less than $150 for the CPU-- canadian dollars I'm talking here too!).. Plus you wont need to worry about registered ram. The board will likely be much less too and will have a more modern set of features. ASUS makes some LGA775 boards at less than $100. (hard to believe I'm recommending intel systems.. :sawed: these days.. but the price is awesome)

just my two cents :)

//EDIT: didn't notice Leo already recommended the 805 :D Good advice!
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited March 2006
    Time to pile on... Forget Dual Athlon MP... get a cheap Intel 8xx chip & Mobo or step up and get a Opteron 165/170.

And when Conroe hits in Q4 AMD dual cores will get a lot cheaper.....
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited March 2006
    Tim,

A $100 you can spend on a decent date.

Dinner: Go someplace nice! $60
    Movie: $25 including drinks.
    Whatever: $15
    "You are the most wonderful person I've ever been with": Priceless.
  • edited March 2006
    No. Why bother trying to talk you out of it? You've obviously thought it over and know every reason why it's a bad idea yet you still want it so bad you can taste it. Anything anyone can say will be as readily dismissed as your own reasoning has been so essentially it's a waste of time. What you're asking amounts to "Stop me before I kill again!" and we all know what that entails, killing the person making the statement and I have no intention of killing you to prevent an un-needed hardware purchase! ;D
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Maybe if dual Athlon 64 motherboard systems start getting cheap before I find some spare cash, I can be saved.:buck:
  • edited March 2006
    Go dual core and get a single socket mobo?