Short-Media LAN Gaming Choices!!!

pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
edited October 2003 in Gaming
Ok all you antsy-in-your-pantsy Short-Medians, here is the thread you've all been waiting for, and if not, lie and say it is...

Anyways, I don't want to be a dictator about this, so I need some input from you guys coming to the LAN. I've thought of several games that we could play, and I'd like your input on which ones!! We'll narrow it down with some discussion here, and then we'll throw up some voting later. Here are the not so illustrious choices...

FPS-
Half-Life 2 (Tourney)
UT2K3 (Tourney)
BF1942
CS
DoD
JK2/JK3
Halo (PC and Maybe XBox)
R63
Original UT (For you old skoolers:))

RTS-
C&C Generals
Warcraft3
Homeworld2
Starcraft
AOE2
Rise Of Nations

Of course other games can be played, but we need to determine the "official" ones so that schedules, rules, and ladders can be set up. We'll prolly only hold 1 or 2 tourneys (Prolly just HL2 and UT), and the rest we can schedule as 2 hours of this, then 2 hours of that, then whatever you want, etc etc. (Or we could have Short-Media champions for each game, i.e. Prime is the Short-Media UT2k4 champ for 2004).

Anyways, throw in game suggestions, things that you thought worked well at LANs you were at, and ideas for tourneys!!

Comments

• SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited October 2003
    Original UT! :D

You can't forget that one! Imagine UK -vs- USA on a LAN :eek:
  • edited October 2003
    I'm all for HL2 and UT tourneys. I'm wondering about UT2k4 though, as most people I know (myself included) wont be willing to shell out another ~$40 for a slight upgrade past UT2K3.

As for RTS games, how about adding ol' StarCraft to the list?
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    TheSmJ said
    I'm all for HL2 and UT tourneys. I'm wondering about UT2k4 though, as most people I know (myself included) wont be willing to shell out another ~$40 for a slight upgrade past UT2K3.

As for RTS games, how about adding ol' StarCraft to the list?

A valid point SMJ. We'll make the tourney on 3 then. People are already going to shell out for HL2.

Hmmmm, a little Starcraft eh?? That could be done.

**Pseudo rummages through his pile'o'games**
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    Not all of us will be able to handle HL2. I am not going to shell out $150 at that time just for a new video card. For how much I game a R8500 does me good. Games are nothing, they can be borrowed from a friend.

Gotta say BF1942 for Norge. He started fraggin ppl past night again.

Halo sounds like a good game. I've played it on XBox several times.
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited October 2003
    Woo hoo! BF1942 all the way! As mmonnin said I downloaded the latest patch and started practicing last night. I've been playing Planetside for way to long. My skillz are becoming dulled. Though I must say that Planetside sniping has improved my technique in Battlefield. Still a long ways from being able to keep up with any of you guys but I'm working on it so you'll have some good competition ;-). I'm also up for some Starcraft action as well. Just let it be known I am the worst Starcraft player this world has ever known.

Aside from those I really don't have any of the other games but it sounds like an interesting selection. Just seeing other people play em should be entertaining. Another one you might wanna add to the RTS is Age of Empires 2. Iono if anyone else likes it but it is one we always played over the lan in school last year. It was pretty fun.

Norge
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I wouldn't mind seeing some Serious Sam 2 demo deathmatch going on.

Are we going to employ "creative solutions" for those who wish to play games they don't have?
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    yes, starcraft always rules, i need to start practice and beta all of u, i WILL be the Starcraft Champ.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    What about JKIII?

I also think we should have some console gaming for those who don't want to/aren't playing the current tourney games, or for someone who needs to relax for a while, and player vs. player games like NHL2K3 etc., would be cool. I'll be bringing my gamecube and dreamcast for some fighting action. Soul Caliber II anyone?
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited October 2003
    I'm surprised Rise of Nations and Age of Mythology aren't on the list...those are the 2 best RTS games out imho.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    SimGuy said
    Original UT! :D

You can't forget that one! Imagine UK -vs- USA on a LAN :eek:

Hey, more like imagine UK -vs- USA -vs- CAN. :vimp:
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited October 2003
    Well, for consoles....we'd need some TV's....so just let some locals know. I have a modded xbox....so name a game or 12 and I'll make sure I bring them.

Thrax....I'm sure creative solutions will be employed....we're not friggin rich here and with the amount of times most of us reformat....I'm sure nobody would get their panties in a twist.
    edited October 2003
    I'm up for some Soul Calibur II. I have the PS2 version and will prolly get my butt kicked on the cube. It's all good though since I get my butt kicked on the PS2 as well :-)

Norge
    edited October 2003
    mmonnin said
    Not all of us will be able to handle HL2. I am not going to shell out $150 at that time just for a new video card. For how much I game a R8500 does me good. Games are nothing, they can be borrowed from a friend.

Gotta say BF1942 for Norge. He started fraggin ppl past night again.

Halo sounds like a good game. I've played it on XBox several times.

Yeah, I know. That was Prime's and my concern also. We'll have to figure something out.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    *speaks like a polish immigrant for i sound like one most of the time*
    i needed the warcraft 3, and i needed the starcraft broodwarz.
    as for fps, maked the Unreal Tournament
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2003
    Ok since there will be no UT2k4 game, then I will go out today and buy UT2k3, its only like $20 now so that will give me enough money to get it, and time to practice.

I'm up for some Counter-Strike action but me and my buddy EgoShowcase that is coming with me will pwn in it, hehe

As far as console gaming, if anyone wants to play NCAA2004 or Tiger Woods 2004, let me know I will bring them, but you don't want to try me on Tiger Woods baby :vimp:

I'm also going to see about getting BF1942 as well.

Oh and Halo on Xbox, I'm all up for that.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Ooo... Rise of Nations. I beat the fully industrialized English as sword toating Germans once on the hardest setting. Great game. If you want some more hardcore strategy games I have a few ;)

How about some Multi-Theft Auto? Online Vice City.
    edited October 2003
    Well, first of all, are you coming? Confirm via PM please! ;)
    edited October 2003
    He's my brother, and he's still thinking about it. ;D
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited October 2003
    Thrax said
    He's my brother, and he's still thinking about it. ;D

A thrax 2? Dear lord help the population of Royal Oak....theres TWO of em? Quick.....Lets start the vasectemy for thrax's dad fund.....PLEASE!
    edited October 2003
    Sure, you can donate to the fund.

<font size=-7>No one tell him that the operation is already done.</font>

//EDIT: His personality is radically different from mine.
    edited October 2003
    Well folks, looks like we won't be playing HL2 at the LAN :(

Thanks, stupid code stealers...
    edited October 2003
    Yeah that's a major sucks donut. That woulda been a good one too. Without the Half Life 2 tourny what game is going to take its place? Are we going to have more than 1 tourny without HL2?

Norge
  • Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
    edited October 2003
    Any chance of Red Alert 2?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    GTA2! (even though I wont be there)

Out of all the games me and my mates could play at LANs, we always end up playing GTA2 all day for some bizzare reason.....

NS
    edited October 2003
    Well after this little fiasco, we'll have to make some decisions. Look for a new thread tonight. Prolly some voting involved in that one. I think we've done enough discussing anyways.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I'm not sure if I'm coming or not yet, but here's an idea:

I don't like playing RTS at LAN'rs. And I'm sure there's at least one game on the list that somebody isn't going to want to play at one time or another. So it might be a good idea to have more than one thing going at once.

To me, the funnest thing to do at a LAN'r is to raid a public server with a dozen or so of your closest friends :D. Alas, the current generation doesn't seem to have the same appreciation for the server raid as the previous one (which I'm defining as the Quake 2 days - when I started playing online games). Last time I was at one of my clan's LAN'rs, we raided and were promptly kicked from 3 servers (banned from 1) in quick succession, even though we were behaving maturely and not team-stacking. This was in Desert Combat. Surprisingly, we had less issues doing it in Counter-Strike.

But of course the coolest thing will be meeting everyone, so even if everyone's playing a game I don't like I'll just socialize and be content :).
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Some likes racing of any type like me, some like fps. It´s hard to do a list but if we could cut it to like 5-7 games in total, everybody that doesn´t have the game, have some time to get it.

I like FPS and racing so any fps like UT, Wolfenstein, UT2K3, MOHAA when it comes to fps, Moto GP 2 for racing.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    How about Crimisson Tides or some other flight combat game?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    QCH2002 said
    How about Crimisson Tides or some other flight combat game?

I highly recommend IL-Stormovik II, great graphics and gameplay.

NS
  • edited October 2003
    Before you guys write off HL2 being played at the LAN, please do read my latest post on the related news thread.

Many of you will be able to relax.