Northwood Motherboard with 16x PCIe slot?

QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
edited March 2006 in Hardware
OK, I haven't thought of this before and Google/Newegg is not much help here. Sledgehammer's gaming guide brought up the question with me-

My son has a 2.8GHz 400FSB Northwood core- 478 pin socket. I'd like to think of a mobo with a 16x PCIe slot or two. I see that there are many 478s out there, but what might support this worthy CPU? If so, what might you recommend?

I'm not having much success with my searches- lots of 478 pin socket mobos but none explicitly stating Northwood support. Am I SOL?

At the very least- we have an answer here ... thanks.

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    I'm not terribly sharp when it comes to Intel systems :) , but I'm pretty sure that any PCI-Express capable 478 board will work fine with a Northwood. If it supports 478 prescott, it should have no issues with Northwood.

Good'ol Northies.. :D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I'm pretty sure that any PCI-Express capable 478 board will work fine with a Northwood. If it supports 478 prescott, it should have no issues with Northwood
    Exactly! Any board that is 478-pin Prescott compatible is also Northwood compatible. The only instance when a Prescott board will not work with Northwood is with the newest Prescotts, which are pinned for Socket 775.
  • edited March 2006
    I just looked on newegg and there is no 478 board for a P4 with a PCIe slot. I seem to remember a few at one time but they're probably going the way of the Dodo.

Newegg had 1 478 PCIe board but it's for mobile pentiums on the Dothan/Banias core.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited March 2006
    Thanks, all. I thought I was dreaming in trying to hunt this down. And I know I've got some of the best input I could have asked for from this site too.

I think the manufacturers could find a ready market for such a mobo. The Northie is a remarkable CPU that I really don't see a need to put to pasture for a few years yet- and having PCIe would provide a cheap solution to a significant upgrade path.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sell Intel any CPUs and I think they are the ones that might be putting the nix on it(?) :( . Maybe someone should say it still sells them chipsets?

Well here's to hoping- and thank you all again. :thumbsup:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Thanks, all. I thought I was dreaming in trying to hunt this down.
    I think so too.