Windows XP system process hangs

edited March 2006 in Hardware
Hi,
I have a compaq presario 2100 and Windows XP service pack 2 installed on it. 3 weeks ago I noticed that the system process was hogging upto 100% of the CPU making the entire system very slow. I finally thought it could be a driver/ Windows Security update / or a Trojan etc. I installed Windows XP SP2again after formating the disk and problem is still there.
Is there any way to debug this as the dvice manager etc show no problems however the system process still hogs the CPU

,Aaron

Comments

• edited March 2006
    Windows seems to have some support on this and its last suggestion is to change from ACPI mode to Standard PC mode. This I did and now the System process is fine. The only thing Windows XP doesn't configure the sytem by itself. Drivers for my Video controller, PCI and ethernet have to be loaded.
    I will be intalling them wiht fingers crossed. I would also probably be changing back to ACPI mode and disabling these system to e if the problem does not ocur
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Nick194, I moved your post over here. Two different problems in one thread can create confusion for those with the problem computers and for those trying to resolve the problems. Both you and aaronc now have your own threads.