I'm Cursed!!!

Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
edited March 2006 in Hardware
I ordered a new DFI LP UT nf4 sli-d about 2 weeks ago and the day i got it i hooked it up and could not get it to power up so i rma'd it. So today i received the replacement and same thing. I don't know what i'm doing wrong, i've built plenty of systems before, so i know what I’m doing.....so i think. But have never used a dfi before.

Here's what i got:
dfi lp ut nf4 sli-d socket 939
athlon 64 x2 4600+
TT Big Typhoon HSF
antec tp 2.0 550w PSU
1 256mb pc3200 stick o' memory (temporary while my new memory gets here)
64mb pci-e video out of a dell (again temporary until i get my new one)

I've got everything connected!! Proc in with some as5 and typhoon secure. Power wise i've got my 24 pin and the 4 pin connected, plus molex and 4 pin fdd plugged into the board. There is a stand by light on the board that comes on but when i hit the power switch nothing happens....no fans no nothing!!

Any help would be very appreciated!!!:(

mobohelp.jpg

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    try and use a dedicated 4pin molex for the video card and see what happens.
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited March 2006
    ok tried the dedicated, plus i tried a whole other psu an msi 450w that i know works and still nothing. I bought the antec new from newegg just for this rig.
    edited March 2006
    have you tried powering everything outside of the case? Use the antistatic bag and just hook up video and ram. This way you eliminate any possible short circuit.
    edited March 2006
    yea it's out of the case now on the foam pad that comes in the box, and on top of the box. I also threw the static strap on the wrist before opening the static bag and playing the board.
    edited March 2006
    duh I see in the pic now ...didn't look close enough.
    Do you have the ram in the correct slot? I wish I knew more about the nf4 boards ...I'm hoping someone comes along who can really help.

Do you have more that one pci-e slot? Is that board picky about which slot you use?
    edited March 2006
    the quick install guide says to install it in the first PCIE slot. Now with the memory i have one stick in slot 2 but i moved it to slot 1 and the board is still lifeless.

edit:// and i have now switched back to the new antec 550w psu.
    edited March 2006
    are you in the yellow or orange slot?
    edited March 2006
    yellow slot...dimm1
    edited March 2006
    Here's some pics!!

help2.jpg

help3.jpg
    edited March 2006
    Hey thanks for taking time to help a brother out, csimon!!
    edited March 2006
    Well I wish we could get this figured out ...I find it strange that no one else has stepped in.
    I tried dloading the manual but it's too friggin big for here at work.
    I bet this is making you nuts.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    They didn't ship it with the cmos jumper wrong did they?
    OK, now I'll dl the english man, instead of the chinese version.
    Are the video card jumpers set right?

I haven't built on one of the LP mobos.
    edited March 2006
    Well i double and triple checked all the jumpers and they are all correct. The video card has no jumpers on it.

And yes its making me go nutz. :banghead: Just cause i was excited to get it going.....at least to start folding until my other hardware arrives, ya know!!:grumble:
  • MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited March 2006
    I have the same baord as you, and from what you've shown you've done everything right...im stumpted
    edited March 2006
    I just really don't want to believe that i would get two bad boards from dfi! Should I try to power up the board without the processor? See if it powers up and at least beeps at me??:confused:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Try this. It is supposed to work for what you are experiencing.

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42081&highlight=bad+flash

Maybe I can come help you out.
    edited March 2006
    Thanks mtgoat for the help. I did as directed and left the battery out for about an hour and 20 min. but still nothing. The LED1 light is on but none of the others. guess i'll try it again and leave it off for longer.
    edited March 2006
    Is there any way to try a different processor?
    edited March 2006
    Eureka!!! She's alive!!! After trying mtgoat's suggestions i left the battery out for about 40 min and nothing:mean: .......but i left the power on from the psu. After about 5 min i went back turned it off and started unplugging everything to maybe make a trip to mtgoat's to see if he could work his magic. Upon touching the top right corner of the board by the mounting holes it felt really hot :werr: and i was feeling around the back side where the typhoon’s back plate was and it too was hot. So i got to searching through the install guide of the cooling beast, and for the LGA775/P4/K7 installs there is a Mylar that’s put in between the H clip and the board. But there is no mylar mentioned on the K8 installation, so i took a min to myself :whatever: …………………………………...........looked on the back of the board and saw that the metal H clip was making contact with circuitry and figured what the hell and started to take everything apart and put that mylar in between the H clip and the board......so damn it if it wasn’t user error again for me!!!! :rant: After putting everything back on, plug’n everything back in, I hit the power switch and she came on. I was smiling from ear to ear, damn near cutting the tips of my fingers off in the ceiling fan. But at least I’m sane again.:Rocker:

Big, big thanks to all for helping me with this circus and at least this will be here to hopefully help others.:thumbsup:
    edited March 2006
    WOOT!:D
    yay.jpg
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    Fantastic! Glad you got it up and running.. Be sure to OC the snot out of that 4600+.. they tend to overclock very well for the most part (better than just about any X2 and most opterons too)..
    edited March 2006
    Oh i will, just have to wait for the rest of my parts to come in. But i wanted to set up temporarily to at least fold.:fold:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Great! It's a good feeling, isn't it.

Concerning the Big Typhoon and motherboards: I've installed that heatsink on several boards. Some of the boards had solder points on the back that were up to three or four millimeters in length. I had to trim them down with wire cutters as they were long enough to poke completely through Typhoons backplate padding.

But, glad to hear you have the beast breathing now. :clap:
    edited March 2006
    Congrats to you and your new rig Buddha16!
    edited March 2006
    Oh man, it’s a great feeling!! Especially since i had to wait so long in the shipping process, but it's worth it. Plus it’s nice to have a problem (whoa never thought I’d say that) and you gents be here to help out.:rockon:

Thanks again to you, csimon and all the others for your outstanding help.:woowoo: