DDR400 on a DDR667 System

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited April 2006 in Hardware
Im really thinking for some reason that DDR wont go in a DDR2 dimm, but im hoping im wrong, because I have an extra dual channel kit of DDR 400 1 gig in my closet. i guess i could sell it, its ocz platinum whatcha ma call it

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    Afraid not, DDR can not be used in DDR2 boards, they are incompatible technologies. PC2100/2700/3200 can usually be interchanged, but only if they are all the same type of DDR. same with DDR2-667/DDR2-800
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Im really thinking for some reason that DDR wont go in a DDR2 dimm
    You are absolutely correct. The modules are the same dimensions, but DDR2 has 240 pins versus DDR(1)'s 180.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    yeh, thats what i was thinking, i thought the pinouts may have been different.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited April 2006
    I would think that they would even be keyed or slotted so you couldn't put them in anyhow???

DDR

DDR2

Might they not have done that? Sounds hazardous.

At any rate- yeah, the pinnings don't allow it.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited April 2006
    Qeldroma wrote:
    I would think that they would even be keyed or slotted so you couldn't put them in anyhow???

DDR

DDR2

Might they not have done that? Sounds hazardous.

At any rate- yeah, the pinnings don't allow it.

They do look different there, the slot on the DDR2 looks more central, whereas the slot on the DDR is definately off centre. Maybe I'm just seeing things though :D