Anybody using computer air filters?

RockrzRockrz I'm right here!
edited April 2006 in Hardware
I ran across this website that sells air filters for computers
( see: http://www.AirFiltrationProd.com )

It got me to thinking...rather than blowing the dust out of my computer tower every month or two, why not use a filter and block the dust from getting inside the tower in the first place?

I've never heard anything about using air filters on computers, but it makes sense to me.

Is anyone doing this?

Comments

• RockrzRockrz I'm right here!
    edited April 2006
    I also found this site that sells filters for electronic cabinet enclosures: http://www.TheFilterFactory.com

I'm assuming "electronic cabinet enclosure" could also be a computer tower since it is an enclosure and it contains electronics.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited April 2006
    yea but then you'd have to replace the filters like once a month
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    BAHH...dont waste your money, just buy a can of air every 6 months if you are anal about a clean case, or if your like me i make a point to do it once every 6-12 months, whenever i remember.
  • edited April 2006
    My case came with an air filter at the front where you would fit an intake fan. It works well and does make a difference, picks up a lot of dust and dirt.

I just got tired of having to take the front of my case off to clean it...
  • edited April 2006
    I run filters on all 3 of my intakes and I love it! I will not run another unfiltered PC ever again.
    edited April 2006
    you noob...you gotta filter the exhoust to get the best results...APRIL FOOLS..not really...j/k

/me walks away
    edited April 2006
    Well, my tower has a door (with a hole in it for the air to go in) over the front fan that pulls air into the tower, and of course the back fan blows air out of the tower.

The door is very easy to open up and place a filter in there, so there's no reason why I should not put some filter material in there to stop alot of dust and dirt that comes in.

I tought it was a good idea, and easier than opening my tower up to blow it out.
    edited April 2006
    you noob...you gotta filter the exhoust to get the best results...APRIL FOOLS..not really...j/k

* airbornflght walks away
    Hey, that would be a good way to prevent your house from smelling like the inside of a computer!:doh:
    edited April 2006
    I like the "bonding" time that i get with my computer by blowing it out and checking every little nook and cranny.

You see the problem is that today, too many computers feel neglected and abused by their creators, what can we owe this act of inhumanity to you ask? we owe it all to the computer air filter. Computer air filters are responsible for more than 50,000 power supplies commiting suicide every year, and the owners mearly pass it off as the mtbf. not to mention the 1000's of hard drives that get the click from infected files and over taxed servos.

This public service anouncement has been brought to you by the Haxorz against filtration.
    edited April 2006
    computer air filters are responsible for more than 50,000 power supplies commiting suicide every year, and the owners mearly pass it off as the mtbf. not to mention the 1000's of hard drives that get the click from infected files and over taxed servos.
    But...if you have a filter that doesn't restrict air flow, it shouldn't hurt anything.

Besides, my computer has a window so all my components can see me outside smiling at them and telling them what good, high performance components they are:type:
    edited April 2006
    i was making an attempt at being funny, either one of two things is happening.

1. it wasnt funny

2. you dont get it.
    edited April 2006
    It was funny...which is why I wrote this:
    Rockrz wrote:
    Besides, my computer has a window so all my components can see me outside smiling at them and telling them what good, high performance components they are:type:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Many of us do run filters. If you live in a dusty area and have several comptuers, filters save lots of time in computer cleaning. You don't have to order pre-made filters. Often a simple case modifcations will do the job nicely. Filter media designed for window air conditioning units works very well, trapping lots of dust and lint without restricting airflow very much.
    edited April 2006
    i didnt read the second part of your post.
    edited April 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Filter media designed for window air conditioning units works very well
    Yeah, I just got back from the hardware store and picked some up. It doesn't seem to restrict airflow and I've got 2 layers covering the intake fan.

For $1.98, I got enough to go at least 6 to 8 months if I change it out once a month. I should be all set.
    edited April 2006
    I've been using some of the same media for years. You just vacuum it clean or wash it in the sink and wring it out. You don't have to replace it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Panty hose. I'm not kidding.. It's 4/2 now.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    None for me.. I rip apart my PC so often that dust is never an issue. Airflow seems to be significantly better without them as well (at least my Lian-Li brand ones anyhow).

If you don't go into your PC much, they can be very helpful at reducing the bunnies. It's a bit of a catch 22 though, instead of opening your PC to clean it out, you open it up and clean the filters :)
    edited April 2006
    It's a bit of a catch 22 though, instead of opening your PC to clean it out, you open it up and clean the filters
    I have modified all my computer cases so that the filters are accessible without having to remove any panels or the bezel. Before that, yes, I had often considered running without filters thinking that a good blast of air every few weeks would be almost as easy (of difficult) as filter removal and cleaning. Now I just crank up the vacuum cleaner, add the hose/attachment, and have filters on all computers cleaned in about three to five minutes.

One thing I have found that is better with filters over just period cleaning with air is keeping the fans clean. No matter how much air pressure you have, fan blades tend to build up a film of ultra-fine dust. Well, that buildup occurs with filters in place too, but not as much and not as fast.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    We have an older Fla. home with jalousy windows.
    Needless to say--- dust is just part of your everyday experience, especially during the windy season.
    We,ve got a couple with filters and a few without.
    The filters definitely work. But I have to make sure I clean them once a mnth or they start blocking airflow. And that reminds me to air clean my other systems.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I have a strange filter on the intake of my case, covers two fans and my case doesn't get dusty, though the CPU heatsink needs to be cleaned every now and then which is a real bitch. It's that Zalman Flower Copper HSF.
    edited April 2006
    Hawk wrote:
    I have to make sure I clean them once a mnth or they start blocking airflow
    For reminders, I just use Yahoo Calendars and I get an email at whatever time I setup the reminder for.

This way, I don't have to think:p
  • edited April 2006
    I have an Antec P160, which features a front intake air filter. I smoke alot of, well, I smoke alot. And I put my cases on the floor. My old case would have components covered in dust and debris within a week or so, but this new one with the filter rocks! Rip off the front panel and there is more crap stuck in the front than i could believe, but inside the actual case it was almost completely spotless!

Funny thing is, if you don't install a front fan, this filter doesn't work nearly as well because the air coming in comes from all over the case and isn't forced through the fine screen.

So yeah, I'm pro filter. :)
    edited April 2006
    dab420 wrote:
    I smoke alot of...
    Ganja?:nudge:
  • edited April 2006
    Belmont Mild King Size?

Unless you're offering ganja of course..
    edited April 2006
    dab420 wrote:
    Belmont Mild King Size?

Unless you're offering ganja of course..
    Juan Valdez!:vimp:
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I've heard used dryer sheets work well, can't say that I've tried them myself but SD is very dusty...I really should.
    edited April 2006
    NiGHTS wrote:
    I've heard used dryer sheets work well....
    Great idea! That would also keep the inside of your tower smelling nice too :thumbsup:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    That is a good idea. I'll have to try that after the next load of laundry!
    edited April 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    That is a good idea. I'll have to try that after the next load of laundry!
    Yep! Keeps your motherboard soft and cuddly on the inside :hitit2: