USB Ports stop recognizing any USB device.

RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
edited April 2006 in Hardware
One of my CAD people has a Dimension 4400 that he regularly plugs and unplugs a GPS unit into USB ports to download the stats loaded to the unit by our field people.

This is the second occasion where the UBS ports just stop working.. Windows sees them as functioning properly, but will not recognize any USB device you plug into any port, front or back.

The first time around I thought the USB ports had popped and replaced the motherboard, this time around I did some more research and realized that if the USB bus had popped XP would see them as not functioning. Plus ALL USB open USB ports stop working. His optical mouse still works fine..

Any thoughts?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    What's the OS? Only solutions I can think of are:

a) Windows repair install with all hardware connected during the install
    b) disable and uninstall all USB controllers and hubs, restart the computer and let Windows reinstall the devices

I've had crazy, whacky USB problems like that before with new builds. Sometimes it took two or three Windows restarts to get everything working right. But it appears your friend's computer is not a new build, hence my advice in a) and c) above.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    What's the power draw like on the devices he's having trouble with? If it's significant, you might try a powered USB hub and see if that helps.

You can also go into Device Manager and see what the power availability and current demand are.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited April 2006
    The PC is actually a Precision 360

I did a XP Repair, and then did a full install of XP on the D partition. No luck, called Dell, new motherboard/front USB circuit board on the way....
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Kudos to Dell. That sounds like pretty responsive service to me.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I had similar trouble where my USB mouse stoped working on my laptop. It was strange and I have no idea why the trouble stopped. But at first I would plug in the USB mouse and it would work, but when I unplugged it, I had to use a DIFFERENT USB slot in order for it to work again, eventually I ran out of USB slots and noticed if the mouse was plugged in while booting up it would work wherever it was plugged in. Now it doesn't happen anymore and I didn't even do anything.