My laptop gets really hot.

n_ver_endingn_ver_ending "Cloud 9...mind's sky"
edited April 2006 in Hardware
I have an alienware laptop and it gets pretty hot at times. Like right now. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2006
    Set your speedstep down to 300mhz.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Is it just getting hot on the bottom, or is the whole thing doing it?

Unfortunately, laptops just do that, there is not much place for the heat to go.

Clean the exaust grill with some compressed air, and get a stand that allows the heat to disperse more easily (Like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834999415 (although that is an expencive model.)). That's about all you can do.

Never use your laptop on your lap, you could burn yourself.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    ummm Alienware's laptops just get REALLY HOT... sorry but it's a fact of life. They are desktop replacements, they are a tower inside a SMALL TINY case :D
  • n_ver_endingn_ver_ending "Cloud 9...mind's sky"
    edited April 2006
    hahaha.

I am not a fan of the placement of the fan. It is underneath. It does not get as hot if it is on a stand.

I have seen that CBDroege, that is so much bulk to carry in the carrying case.

I guess we can't get everything.

GrayFox, if I set my speedstep down to 300mhz will is slow down its performance? If not, how do i bring it down?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Take the laptop a part and replace the thermal pad with quality Artic Silver 5. That will allow the CPU to disapate heat better...
    edited April 2006
    I will look for it when I go Fry's = )
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Arctic Silver does help... I know with my roomate who had a Sager Laptop that got VERY hot too it helped when he used his ouigi board with his laptop which allowed the vents to cool better than having it just on his lap blocking those vents.
  • edited April 2006
    Same thing is dicussed in this thread:
    crappy laptop question

I remember looking at a thread on some website talking about simply opening the cover over the cpu/hsf and taking off the heatsink(some just threw it in the washing machine...haha) and seeing a huge gunk of dust bunnies all crowded around and clogging up the airflow. They simply cleaned the HSF of dust bunnies and their system now run much cooler. Adding Artic Silver 5 will also make a huge difference in the cooling.
    Also, try not to put laptops on the carpet, bed or on top of blankets etc. since there is no airflow on the bottom of the laptop. Use a hard surface, or you have to, place some thing underneath to prop it up to allow airflow underneath. Like http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/cooling_devices/bytecc/ It's like trying to breath with the covers over your head at night, you will eventually suffocate yourself...well ok maybe not, but you will be struggling to breathe.

Also check out Ghetto cooling your laptop
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2006
    hahaha.

I am not a fan of the placement of the fan. It is underneath. It does not get as hot if it is on a stand.

I have seen that CBDroege, that is so much bulk to carry in the carrying case.

I guess we can't get everything.

GrayFox, if I set my speedstep down to 300mhz will is slow down its performance? If not, how do i bring it down?
    It will make it very very slow but it will lower power consumption and heat output.

Im not quite sure on how to lower it in windows but im sure theres a speedstep app on intels site.
    edited April 2006
    To bad there is not liquid cooling system for laptops yet. That would be so cool.

Thanks all. I will really look into get the Artic Silver.
  • edited April 2006
    ummm.......

well like i said in my first post i aint a computer wiz, but uh....
    well my suggestion is to not to run alot of programms all at once..

hope it helps you

Panduka
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Well... My co-worker has a Compaq R3000 with an AMD Athlon 3000+. Running at peak, it was running about 72 Degrees celsius.... After my Artic Silver 5 application and blowwing out the heat ducts... down to 60 degrees... That's over 50 degrees fahrenheit!!!!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    hehe I was so caught in my game yesterday the air coming from my laptop burned my skin above my knee cuase it was sitting there for a while :P
    edited April 2006
    ahahahaha....you are were definately into your game to not have felt that.
    The bottom on my right wriste is really shiny from using the mouse without a mousepad...i am wearing out my skin...lol
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Actually, it's real easy not to feel it, that's why I say you shouldn't ever use a laptop on your lap. It's dangerous because it heats up slowly, and you wont notice it until you are burned.

There was a story a few years ago: A man was suing the manufacturer of his laptop because of second-degree burns on his lap (and penor).

It's like boiling a frog... If you drop the guy in boiling water, it'll jump back out. If you set it in the cold water, and slowly bring it to a boil, it will sit at the bottom until it boils.