Abit Motherboard

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited April 2006 in Hardware
Thinking of getting the Abit K8N-SLI motherboard. Does anyone know much about this? Good for OC? Stable? Always used ASUS, but trying to keep the cost down. This is about 100. Any ideas on what would be the best motherboard to OC with and SLI.

Shoot me some brilliant ideas!!!:confused2

I have increased my IQ by 10 since I found short=media:scratch:

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    have increased my IQ by 10
    Ahh, another overclocking category. We offer $50 for front page articles. Maybe you should explain how you did that? And by gosh, I'd like to see the heatsink on your noggin! :crazy:

Oh, yes, your topic. I used to be an exclusive Abit user but have recently become an Asus fan. Many of us here have become concerned about quality control/engineering lapses with Abit. I, along with many others here sincerely hope motherboard maker USI's acquisition will restore Abit to what it once was. Your particular board consideration? Hmm, don't know. Do a search of the forums. I'm sure we've got threads on it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I also used to be an ABIT fan, and I have since become a DFI fan. DFI took most of Abit's engineers and Abit has fallen on pretty hard times lately. The Abit boards aren't bad, on the whole (Though there have been some QC rumours), but other boards are simply much better.
  • edited April 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    I also used to be an ABIT fan, and I have since become a DFI fan. DFI took most of Abit's engineers and Abit has fallen on pretty hard times lately. The Abit boards aren't bad, on the whole (Though there have been some QC rumours), but other boards are simply much better.

Yeah, I concur with Thrax's feelings about Abit. But I tend to go with Asus boards over DFI lately, since they seem to be a little less touchy to set up and seem to be pretty darn stable and overclockable. DFI is also a very good choice too, however.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I have the ABIT AN8 SLI Fatal1ty and I am in love with it... may not be the best, but I haven't had any trouble with it until last night and I am pretty sure I know what it is and it's not the MB. But it hasn't crashed on me since I first built it until last night. But again, that's only related to Windows 2000(no SP). Haven't had time to test out my theory yet though.

Again, I love my Abit... haven't tried DFI yet, just too scared to try anything new becuase of the whole "If it ain't broke don't fix it" ordeal.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I just recently sold an Abit IC7 and an IC7-G. I'd been running the IC7 since mid-2003. It's probably the best motherboard I've ever used in reliability, performance, and ease of setup. When Abit's reputation returns to what it was two or three years ago, I'll switch back to them with no reservation. The NF7 (system 2 in signature) is stable and completely reliable, but threw tremendous fits when I tried to overclock when I first built the system in 2003. Besides the boards I mentioned above, other Abit motherboards I've owned: KT7-R, KT7A-R, KR7A-R, and KX7 333-R. The best AMD based Abit boards I used were without a doubt the KX7 and KR7.

Abit, we're watching. Return to your previous consistent quality, and watch your customers return.